NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade

Hi everyone, I have been gathering parts and brain storming for the last 2 months to upgrade my Dynatorch 5 x 10 table to some of Dynatorch'es latest features plus a couple of my own. Any comments along the way are welcome. I have learned a great deal from others on the forum and would like to give back. In 2005 I purchased a 5' single x axis motor, standard gantry with laser locator and built my own 5 x 10 water table. It has worked without missing a beat.

At that time Dynatorch offered a battery powered laser locator (which I still have) and had spring assist pre load for the pinion gears. They also used a v rail design for the lifter station. Shortly after I got my machine up and running they improved their Z lifter station to a ball screw design and added small pneumatic air cylinders to pre load the pinion gears. Both were major improvements which I added to my machine.

Since then they have added a host of new features. My machine has been making me money so I decided its time to reinvest. The Dynatorch crew has been great at providing all the parts I needed and technical advice.

The Upgrade;

1. Add Dual x axis drive motors

2. Dynatorch currently offers a single drop side gantry, however my plan is to make it a Dual drop and replace my existing gantry with a 3 x 12 channel aluminum gantry.

3 Add the new Dynatorch all steel Y axis carriage and dual linear rails on the Y axis.

4. Add the Dynatorch DASH system

5. Add the Dynascribe unit for plate marking

6. Replace all rack and pinions on the X and Y axises with their new 24 pitch rack.

7. Upgrade the laser indicator to the latest AC powered one.

Here are some pics of the parts and my gantry. I am sure it will take some time but in the end it will be well worth the effort.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-1-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-2-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-3-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-4-jpg  

NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-5-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-6-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default More pics

Here are a few more pics,

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-7-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-9-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-10-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-11-jpg  

NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-8-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,
    The first post, last picture: What are the two items with the short wires behind the laser locator and the DASH unit? The Y carriage housing looks way improved over the extruded carriage. That should take care of the suspected vibration that the DT's are subject to. Looks like you have quite a project ahead! I look forward to seeing the progress.
    Tommy

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why are you replacing your current rack & pinion?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

WSS, the 2 black items with the wires are the solenoids to control the Dynascribe unit. It has 2 air cylinders, one controls the up and down motion and the scribe itself and the other controls the whole rectangular shaped assembly that the scribe is mounted in. You can't see it in the Dynatorch video of the scribe but when the scribing is finished the whole unit automaticly moves up several inches out of harms way.

You can adjust the speed of the air actuating cylinders thru the solenoid valves, both solenoids are made by Ingersoll Rand. I'm not sure but I think that all the new Dynatorch gantrys and Y axis carriages are now all 3/16" steel. I know that they are selling alot of their master series machines for use with Hydefinition plasmas. The torch and cable assemblys are much heavier on Hydef than standard plasmas. Perhaps thats the reason for steel gantrys and Y axis carriages now. If so this just makes their standard series machines that much better. Rigidity is a good thing. I am sure I could have purchased a steel gantry from them also but the shipping would have been a bit much. I decided to make my own from aluminum. As for the vibration mentioned in another thread, I have never experienced it.

tof1,
    as for the reason I am replacing the gear rack. My gear rack is the earlier version of 12 pitch used by Dynatorch. I guess you would call it a course tooth pattern. It is still in like new condition and has performed with zero problems other than it is a little noisy when the gantry is moving at 1000 inches per minute. The servo motors can really get the gantry from one end of the table to the other in a hurry.

Since I am adding a 2nd x axis drive motor I have to install an additional gear rack for the slave side anyway so I elected to go with the new 24 fine pitch rack they are using on all their new machines. I did see a 6 x 20 Dynatorch machine cutting at a local shop and it had the new rack. It was quiet and smooth which really sold me. Here are some pics of the solenoids, and the new and old style rack.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-solenoid-1-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-rail-1-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-rail-2-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-scribe-2-jpg  

NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-solenoid-2-jpg  
    Last edited by magma-joe; 07-31-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

After tof1's one sentence question, I realise how much I don't know! Good question and good answer. Thanks for adding new depth to my confusion (lol). The steel gantrys as I was told was simply perception. A steel gantry is considered industrial. I am sure there is more to the story than that.

So the solenoids are for the Dynascribe. I see in the latest pic that it has two poppets, probably for the reciprocation function.

I have four days off to work on our table! Lots to do, I am hoping to get it painted late tuesday.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, I am interested in your table build also. Post some pics when you get a chance. As for me the first step will be determining the correct length for the gantry and cutting. Since I am doing a dual drop the gantry will be about 2" wider than the overall table width. Hopefully I can get it done today. More pics later.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Magma

I am envious, so many new features your going too have.

Curious if your going to see much improvement going to the 24 pitch rack and adding the air cylinder tensioners.

Will be checking in on this thread often as I would one day also like to upgrade my table.

Great pictures to.

Tyler

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tyler, I purchased the pinion pneumatic preload cylinders when they first came out in 2006? They were a big improvement over the springs.

I am anxious to try out the new 24 pitch rack. I am used to hearing the gears mesh on my machine so it was a suprise NOT to hear them on the 6 x 20, machine I saw cutting. On the New Dynatorch Master series machines I noticed that the Rapid speeds were increased to 1600 inches per min. Perhaps this is another reason they went to a smoother running gear?

Last edited by magma-joe; 08-01-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gotcha, I thought they used 20pitch rack. Couldn't imagine 12, good choice.

Why do you like the penumatic tensioners more than the springs? Seems like a way to over-complicate things.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

tof1, As a end user, I like the miniture air cylinders for several reasons. For one the pinion gear preload is infinitely adjustable to your what ever you like just by turning a knob on the air pressure regulator. Should I desire to move the gantry or Y axis by hand I just turn off the air and pull the pinion away from the rack. They are very durable yet simple requiring only a small air regulator and some plastic tubing to complete a system. I don't recall seeing any other cnc plasma machines using them other than Dynatorch?

If I were a machine builder I would be attracted to their ability to push or pull in a confined space such as in the picture I posted of the Y axis carriage. From what I have seen in the catalogs they cost little money and there is an array of mounting brackets and styles of cylinders offered.

Since I build custom parts for street rods, I am on a daily basis modifying, upgrading and redesigning things to make them look and perform better even if it is only a small amount. I look at my CNC plasma in the same way. When I think of springs versus pneumatic cylinders for my plasma its a no brainer. And since Dynatorch offers all these parts as a bolt on it was an easy install at the time.

Last edited by magma-joe; 08-01-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I guess it would be nice to just turn off the air and be able to move your gantry by hand. Pictures look good, thanks for posting!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the update and pics Joe, i didnt relise DT used the coarser R&P gears before, i can see where there will be a big difference with the new style...i havent sprung for the DASH yet so im really keen on seeing how you like it... when tof1 mentioned being able to turn off the air and move the gauntry around by hand, it reminded me that i do that once in awhile, especially when cleaning the rails and rollers, ive even thrown a sheet on the table and quickly lined it up by hand moving the gauntry and using the laser crosshairs....WSS im following your build also, thats quite a impressive table you are building and i enjoy watching your progress...

Regards to all

EDD

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Joe, I looked close at the picture of your table and slats, do you have a center support that pulls them into an arc? Are they supposed to be "flimsy" feeling? I put them in today and was surprised at how they wiggled. How is the retro going? Hopefully you are so busy you don't have time to put her down for the retro. I have one more day on the table and then back to the "regular" job.

Edwardo, You would be more than welcome to stop by So.Cal on your way back from Acapulco and take it for a test drive! I am shooting for three weeks to make the set-up call to Leon.

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, I had the same experience with wiggly slats when I first assembled my table. I bought a piece of t rail, cut some slots with my chop saw and installed it in the center of the table.

I spaced the slots the same distance apart as the outside slots however when I installed the slats I off set each slat in the center to the next slot in the t rail, creating a bowed effect. It made for a very tight grid. The other benefit is when you cut from side to side you won't be cutting right on top of a slat. The more bow the better. It is a real pain making a diagonal cut along the top of a slat. It leaves alot of slag and wipes out the slat edge.

I have been busy working on a vehicle in the shop I am making some modifications to. I did manage to get the gantry cut to length. I am also making a jig to hold the 12" wide gantry on my 10" x 50" mill table. I intend to bolt together the gantry ends and supports with countersink bolts. I don't want to weld it as I am concerned about distortion. I will be back on it within a couple of days.

Edwardo, since you went back to work early, does that mean you get extra time off when you come home? I'm sure you are itching to make a few things on your Dynatorch?

Last edited by magma-joe; 08-04-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joe

We must have basically built our tables with the same thing in mind, i cut my slat groves with a chop saw also ( its all i had at the time ) and off set the center grooves to the center of the 2 outter ones giving the slats a nice curve and tightening then up, i tacked the center slat to the slat holder near the middle of the table to hold it up as there is no cross piece underneath the center of a 4x8 table to support it, a year later after digging small peices out of the air handler i finally bought a sheet of expanded metal and laid it under the slats to catch the small parts... makes cleaning easier too..
    I am itching to get home and onto the DT, i have a few ideas on things i want to make and areas to target the marketing... with our climate i only have 4-5 months a year for this type of metal work, then will have to shift gears and find something for the winters months... i wasnt ready last X-mas to have anything made or to advertise, but i will be this year... see how it goes... if anything i can keep coming back and working down here in the mean time, the mining industry is starting to pick up again so the drilling we do for them is following suit, the supervisor i had to take over for here was run outta town by a jealous husband with a gun and a bad attitude.... some guys just never learn!! but yes i would be much happier at home cutting metal.
    WSS if i ever end up in your part of the world i will defenitely take you up on that offer, same goes for you guys if ur ever up in central Canada look me up.

EDD

Downloads
    Uploads

Edwardo, are you doing blast hole drilling?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We do diamond core drilling, so we get a rock core sample for the geologist from the top of the hole to the bottom, these holes here are relatively shallow at 600-800 feet in depth, the last project i was on down here we were drilling about 3000' foot holes verticle... 1 pic is the core in a box, the other is of the drills we use ... sorry not a very good 1 though...

EDD

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-100_1686-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-100_1883-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Edwardo, That looks about a 4" diameter core. Looks like a lot of hard work in the remote areas. So assuming no one gets run out of town, drilling in that region is year round? We have in the past put Tungsten carbide on the back of the drill bits were the overs tend to ride and wear out the threaded collar and sometimes on the sticks at the same points. Beautiful country your in.

Joe, I just caught on to what you are doing with the aluminum rail! You will machine and fit it with SHC screws and such. Working with aluminum has it's rewards, it works easy and looks great when your done.

I have to return to income generating work for awhile so it will be a week or so before I get to work on the DT again.

Tommy

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,
    I was wondering if those pieces were important to the function of the gantry. I am hoping they are just spacers. I set my gantry on the table today and it is about a 1/2" to wide. I am not sure were the error comes from. If I can remove these, I will be fine. I notice I will probably have to install another hard-stop somewhere, as The plates look to have a hard-stop integrated. It was to close to the edge for me to roll it back and forth to get that feel. So I will have to wait until I get this error fixed before I can walk with it up and down the track.

Did you have to upgrade the DT interface because of the extra servo (slave)?

I hope your build is going along OK!

Tommy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dynatorch-5-copy-jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast