NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardo View Post
    Hi Guys

It has been awhile since posting anything myself, Magma-Joe i sure like the concept of what you made and will keep that in mind should the need to cut thicker material come along... i dont have a fork lift and i doubt one would work with my low ceiling anyways.. its been 3.5 long miserable months in Mexico this tour and im heading home on the 16th June for at least a month off in my decompression chamber... a lady called the other day for a 4' x 4' sign so if i get that job i'll post some pictures... one thing i have been playing around with is alum boat designs and would like to build my own some day using the DT to cut all the parts, to start i would have to index the longer peices through but am curious if the table could be stretched to 30' ?? i'll have to give DT a call some day and see whats all involved and if its even possible.

Take care
    EDD
    Edwardo, It sounds like you have been busy with your job, which is a good thing these days! I do miss the fork lift but the hoist does have some advantages when loading material. Do the the ceiling height of the shop I had to use 8' fork extensions to get the material over the table with out hitting the mast on the fork lift. Lots of on and off the fork lift checking the material location before lowering it onto the table.

I included a pic of a long Dynatorch table like you are talking about. The gear rack is spliced together and the cable system is overhead.

Magma-joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dt-table-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been moving my DT machine around also. I have finally got a direction and needed to get the machine located to load large sheets. When I built my shop I designed the floor plan for the machine to sit facing the roll door across the shop so I can drive in and load a sheet as a striaght shot. I lost my mind and talked myself into placing the machine closer to the power feed to save a few bucks on wire. Soooo I now have moved it to where it was desinged to go .... Now if I can get a clear path to it from the door.

Doing it all again I would put the machine facing a roll up door and have the back of the machine facing into the shop so I could roll up the door and load a plate from the outside. I could also then build a room around the table so the exhaust would not suck out all the heat in the winter. I can't bring myself to put in AC becuase it is just to expensive to run.

I may yet turn the table around and put up another door to do this ....

MetalHead - http://www.mechmate.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finally completed the hoist yesterday. I used a spring loaded electric cord reel to supply the power to the hoist and electric powered trolley. It works well keeping the slack out of the cord.

I decided that manually pushing the hoist assembly (loaded) with one person might be difficult so I added a 220lb pull cable winch to one side and installed the remote switch on the opposite (manual push) side. Works great.

Magma-joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-hoist-1-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-hoist-2-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-hoist-3-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-hoist-4-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default MAGMA series?

Hey magma-joe,
    did you see the dual drop DT is showing at fabtech? Looks familiar

WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS,

Yes I would have to say the simularities between my custom built Dynatorch and their new XLR 8 Dual Dropside table are quite numerous....

I have been following your thread on your machine. Are you getting close to finishing?

Magma-joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Magma-joe,
    No, it is kinda/sorta on hold. We have a large project we will be finishing on Wed. and of course we have put other jobs off to get this one done so we are behind yet again. We have 80hrs of table time and 60hrs of cut time (good balance, table will run for 3.5hrs at a time) since last Tuesday.

Do you ever fool around with your thc settings? Like the missed pulses and accel force dialog? I am having some trouble getting a balance between pushing to hard and the torch firing without touching the plate. It will go along good for a sheet or two then hang up in the same spot. I tried moving the whole slide up and down to get around what I thought was the rough spot but It may be something different.

WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS,

It sounds like you are describing the torch firing in mid air before it reaches the plate? I have encountered this before. At the time I was running Dynatorch's 2nd series torch slide (the 3" x 3" box shaped one). With out a setting of at least 100 down force the torch would fire in mid air before it reached the material. Since I cut mostly thin material I try to run the least down force possible to prevent material spring back.

I pulled the motor off the slide and turned the slide's ball screw shaft by hand. I could feel some tight spots. It turned out to be the upper ball screw bearing binding. Removing the bearing (which was'nt needed anyway) cured the problem. I think a piece of grit traveling up and down on the ball screw could give the same result causing it to get tight in spots.

With Dynatorch's newest torch slide that I installed with my table upgrade I found the best settings for me were 40 for down force and 80 for the torch speed. This seemed to give a happy medium for down force and speed.

I recently installed Dynatorch's Ohmic contact system. I love it. It works incredibly well. Spring back is near zero and if there is any it is compensated for. When the torch moves back up it senses when the contact is broken which compensates for any springback of the material. Every pierce is exactly at the same height which has saved alot of money on nozzles ruined from firing to close to the material.

I must say that is a big job you have going! I can see why you don't want to have your machine down for length of time.

Magma-joe

Last edited by magma-joe; 11-08-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The ohmic contact set-up sounds like a good idea. It seems reasonably priced too. Sometimes I can get 1500 pierces and change just because. Sometimes I go through 5 or 6 nozzles on a plate or a section of plate, usually my fault due to a dirty slat or two causing a wobble in the plate.

Lost another motor today. Interestingly, I was swapping parts around from other motors to see if I might get a good combo while on the phone with a tech guy I had never spoke to and he asked about serial numbers, The one I had in my hand from a previous failure was on there recall list. I was told by the GM that none of mine were on the list, funny eh? I will have to go through all the other cores I have to see if any more pop up on the list. So, I should have a new motor tomorrow to replace a failed motor from probably a year ago ( I lost track to be honest). The motor that failed today was it's first time since new, it was on the Y axis, it had never given me any problems before.

WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS,

Sorry to hear about the motor. I can see why you as well as Dynatorch switched to different motors. Its amazing that Animatics was not more accomodating for solving the motor issue. On the Dynatorch site they mention that they have sold over a thousand machines. At 4 motors per machine this would be equal to 4,000 motors they purchased from Animatics!

I am sure Animatics will miss those sales. Did you ever get a price from Dynatorch on replacing your motors with the new Dynatorch Pansonic ones?

Magma-joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Anamatics was very "big company" about it. Basically, we don't care. This must of been (and probably will be for awhile) hard on DT. I think that Anamatics was already onto there new series of motors and just did not want to support the old series. DT kinda did the same, when they realized they were going to switch to Panasonic, they shifted there attention over there. Tech no longer answers or returns my calls. Pretty frustrating for us.

We talked briefly about a price for a new system with DT but realized it was still proprietary and would be at least double of what we decided to go with. No discount was offered, but it was possible that they would of given us a core charge for the anamatics motors. The PlazPak system and the gearbox combo I have will put down 10800oz in of peak torque which is about 4 times the power of the current system, so we will not be running up against the limits of the motors anymore, that will be a big improvement.

I will still be able to use we-cim of which I am really pleased about. I may have to rebuild my mm2's library, but that is not a problem.

WSS

Last edited by WSS; 11-10-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    www.metaltechus.com

Downloads
    Uploads

WSS

How is the build going? Are we getting close to testing things out?

I will be waiting for your call

Gary Wittlock

Downloads
    Uploads

Gary, It is close now. I had hoped to do everything over Thanksgiving weekend but we have family coming in for the weekend. It is probably going to be next weekend. I was looking over some info in the thc manual and found a few paragraphs I need to send to you. I will get it over to you this week.

THX!

WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow that is an impressive set up..

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joe, excuse me, can you tell me the measure of your linear guides? they are 15mm or 20mm?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool build. I see that Dyna Torch no longer do the DASH thing, any ideas why and how are you finding yours ?

Dynatorch DASH (no-touch)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade

Digging up an old thread but some good info here. I am about to pull the trigger on upgrading my 07 machine to dual drives, as well as the gear rack on both sides of the X axis. How much of a cut quality improvement did you see? And what type of plasma and torch were you running in the picture of the bracket on page 13 of this thread? Or anybody else who has done the upgrade what is your opinion of the single vs. dual drives? Mine has always had that driveshaft shack/backlash that I have never really been able to get rid of but have been talking to Dynatorch the past couple days about finally upgrading the machine 7 years later lol. Also why did you need the new control console? They told me I did not need it so maybe they upgraded the box by the time I had picked mine up in mid 07.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112