NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade - Page 3

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade

Downloads
    Uploads

THANK-YOU for the info! That is really cool the way it works. I downloaded the file transferred it to my PC and it worked great. Very well done too. I think we will try to do the pilgrimage to Peducah in the near future. Gary said it is a two day class on thurs and fri. I will probably go for three and do a wed training on the table itself. We have to head to Greensboro NC soon, so we will probably do a stop off in KY while were on that side.

Good news that you have made some progress on your gantry. I look forward to the pics. I assume you will be able to run your table close to the end of the retro and be down for just a short time?

What happened to Edwardo? I hope it isn't a case of mistaken identity for him! Somehow I thought he would be home cutting stuff by now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, If you do make it to Paducha you won't regret it. In addition to learning the machine and software you get an opportunity to meet the people who make up the Dynatorch operation. Plus the training is FREE!

I thought we would hear from Edwardo by now also? From everything they show on the news about Mexico it must be a interesting place to work to say the least........

Last edited by magma-joe; 08-19-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys

Made it home 2 nights ago with the same number of holes in my body as when i left, working down there is the same as anywhere else, if you look for trouble you'll find it, i try to fly under the radar and mind my own business and in the almost 3 years ive worked there i havent had a problem, once the people relise you are of no threat they accept you into there communities and homes, i guess the trick is trying NOT to be in the wrong place at the wrong time... anyways i've been trying to shake the cob webs outta my head and cleaning up my garage getting ready to spark up... You guys are really moving along on your projects, your workmanship is professional to say the least... Trick questions for everyone, say you want to cut up a 4x8 sheet into gussets, half the sheet is 4" gussets, the other half is 6" gussets, how many can you make of each, how many peirces and how many inches of cutting for the entire sheet...? would you draw the 2 different size gussets then nest them on the sheet?
    I drew it up in corel 3x this morning and ran it through sheetcam and into the DT program.... Hint: according to the DT program i will take 27.64 minutes to cut the entire 1/8th - 4x8 sheet @ 115 ipm...
    I havent cut it yet but i had inquired 6 months ago about making gussets for a company, at the time they said no thanks but then contacted me just recently for more info on them, so i had to draw it up, i wasnt sure how to go about it but i wanted the least amount of peirces, the minimum amount of inches cutting with the minimum amount of waste...another hint, there is zero waste.... lol
    I know you guys are busy and may not have time for this, so i'll post my results and how i did it tommorow just the same...

EDD

Downloads
    Uploads

Edwardo,
    That makes complete sense! Treat people with respect and the rest will follow. I did keep an eye out for you on the news though (lol).

HEADLINE: Core drilling supervisor has sample taken, news at 10.

On these gussets, are they right triangles (to shorts and a long) with no curves? If so, will you remove the web and make one cut for two pieces?

WSS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS

Thanks for keeping a eye out for me on the news....lol

yes all right angle gussets, a 4x4 square cut diagonally from corner to corner..
    I look real hard at We-Cim and almost bought it, i watched the video and the part with the deer where you can take a photo and manipulate it with different shades of black interested me, but the price ( i think was 1700 ) at the time was alittle steep.. im having good luck with corel draw, its a big program with no doubt alot of things i will never use, but as time goes on i am using things i didnt think i ever would, once you have the basics figured out then you can try some other things and experiment... its taken me awhile to learn corel with being away alot, i seem to have to relearn what i learnt the last time home, but its coming along... it has a trace portion in it but i never had any luck with tracing bitmaps with it and usually just do it manually with the bezier tool, it takes longer but the results are better.
    I made a couple of address signs for guys, they gave me the rough size and shape of the boulder they want to mount the sign to, so i drew up the boulder and colored it grey, then added the metal cut outs to it in black, everything was to scale and i email it to them to show them what it would look like for there approval... they were impressed with that and it didnt take long to do it as i already had the sign drawing done and just had to add it to the boulder... they just were'nt sure how big the sign should be on the boulder and 1 guy asked for his to be alittle larger, so about one click on the mouse i resized his sign and charged him a extra 25 bucks and he was happy.
    I may have posted these pics before, i can't remember... but it shows the bitmap i used to make the cut out using the bezier tool, i did it more for practise than anything, for some reason the pic makes the edges look rough, but they are actually smooth... note the left eye brow, this was also one of the first cuts i made in aluminum and was messing around with my settings and crashed the torched... but i recovered and it gives it character...lol

EDD

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-sphinx_head3-2001-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-dscn0334-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok heres my results, peirces @ 1.....3178.3 inches cutting......128 @ 6" gussets.... 288 @ 4" gussets.....115 ipm... 27.6 minutes cutting time.

I had seen a grid option in corel and thought id give it a try, i set the grid at
    4" squares and used the bezier tool to zig zag up the first colum, this would cut out every second gusset, at the top of the colum it would cut straight back across the sheet cutting off the remain gussets, and continue across the sheet to mid point, there i switched to a 6" grid and continued the same way, i may have to turn off the thc as i will be cutting right to the edge and over the corner edges of other gussets already cut out to prevent the torch from diving though, i havent cut it yet, so it may not go as planned, draw for show and cut for dough....
    Joe after seeing the parts you cut out i may have to have another look at we-cim... nice job...

I had planned on cutting as soon as i got home, but my wife had plans on me finishing the reno i started last time, happy wife happy life i was told not to long ago so im working on the reno again...

EDD

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-4x8gussetgrid-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Edwardo, thanks for the compliment on the cut outs. Although $1800.00 sounds like alot for the We-cim / Cutting shop software it really is a deal. It is a package of 2 different programs from 2 different companies. I looked on the Arbor Image site and the Cutting shop software sells for $1195 alone.

The WE-cim package comes standard with all the Dynatorch Master Series machines. It is professional grade software oriented torward businesses and production. When I was shopping for a CAD CAM 3 axis software for my mill I was shocked to find that it sells anywhere from $3000 to $20,000 and many companies charge a yearly "maintenance fee". That made me really appreciate the We-cim price.

Here is an update on the gantry build.

I finished drilling and mounting the 6 x 6 angle plates for the gantry ends. I have included a pic of the one of the gantry end plates I just finished milling. The end plates will be bolted to the angle and then additional gussets will run from top to bottom.

I will attach the piece of 1 1/2" x 3" aluminum extrusion on the bottom of the plate. All the factory Dynatorch hardware will bolt directly on with the exception of the motor pivot brackets. I will fab a new set of these for each side. I wanted to keep the dual drop as simple as possible and use as much as possible of the original Dynatorch hardware.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-pic-1-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-pic-2-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-pic-3-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-pic-4-jpg  

Last edited by magma-joe; 08-21-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

magma-joe,
    Very nice! Great detail and looks strong.

Our we-cim was on the porch (UPS) when we got home today.

WSS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, thanks.

Now that you have the We-cim software package the learning curve starts. In the software you can save setups for all types of different material sizes thickness, and cutting tool sizes. Each time you import a file you will be asked what setup you want to use.

Included in each setup is the kerf compensation for the plasma nozzel size you are using be it 40, 60, 80 amp or whatever, material type, thickness and size. Once you load your tool library with different nozzels and the kerf compensation for each nozzel amperage size, it becomes part of the setup you choose from when importing the file. From then on it all becomes automatic.

You can also make setups for all kinds of different lead in's and lead outs. Just choose the one you have specificly made for the material you are cutting when you generate your code. It all adds up to cutting the best looking most accurate parts possible. It allows you to easily dial in your machine for every application and choose those saved parameters each time you work with a file. This is just a couple of the features We-cim has.

The aesthetics of the part are what the customer sees. Since most of the parts I make are for street rods, they have to be the best possible. A street rod that makes all the car shows could easily have thousands of people looking over the car. The We-cim software helps alot.

Last edited by magma-joe; 08-21-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

magma-joe,
    The parts that you make will not only be seen by many, but for a long time as well. I want to produce the best possible cut surface as well. The parts we make are usually put in the ground. But our stuff is also re-sold. So it may sit on a shelf for a while. with parts managers and salespeople looking them over. Of all things a nice paint job and a clear parts label goes a long way! We are looking forward to learning the we-cim software inside out. One of the neat things I think we will be able to implement is the way in which I capture the file. I will have to rely on our field reps to get accurate pictures and dimensions. I am hoping with a X and Y dimension and a straight on picture, I can create an accurate part. My partner (and wife) is really good at setting up methods and training the guys in the field. I simply cannot travel all over So. Cal. making templates and drawings, so I am hoping it will work. We will do a few small tests to get a good idea how to best work it. Is the USB dongle thing hooked permanently to the software? It will be inconvenient if it is. I am using a dell laptop to do all of the work regarding the DT files, it will be portable in a sense.

Thanks again for the info!
    WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, I can not offer much info on converting jpeg images to vectors. As you probably know by now there is a chapter devoted to this in the manual. I would recomend getting familiar with the process and then call Arbor Image and explain what your situation is and desired results are. I am sure they can help you get up to speed faster.

It also sounds as if your wife will be a huge asset to you in training your reps. A machine operator / programer is the the one person who truly knows what is needed to create a file and cut your part. Getting this accross to the person who is taking the measurments will be very important. When you ruin a cut on a piece of 6" x 6" 16 Gauge you can throw it in the trash. A large thick plate would be much more costly. Perhaps when taking pictures you could include something of a known dimention to check against when scaling sizes?

You can install the software on as many computers as you want however the dongle will be required each time you boot the program. This is the way the high end software companies protect themselves from people pirating their software.

Once you process your file and create the g code to run the machine you will have to find a method to transfer it to the computer running the Dynatorch machine. There are several methods I have found.

1. Save it to a USB thumb drive and hand carry it to the machine computer.
    2. Transfer the file via a wireless network.
    3. If you have internet access at your machine computer and a web based email service you could just email the file to yourself from the laptop and retrieve it with the machine computer.

From day one I have been using method one. However I plan to change to method 3 soon. I have discovered that after a few hundred or perhaps thousand cycles of inserting and removing the USB memory drives it tends to wear out the terminal sockets. I guess you could add a USB hub or a socket saver to prolong the life of the USB'S,
    http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=3150
    but method 3 seems to offer more benefits.

Method 3 offers the benefits of:

Easily updating your Dynatorch machine software from their subscription website. And if Dynatorch follows the lead of some other CNC manufacturers in the future and offers remote access for machine diagnosis, your machine would need internet access.

Forget hand carring the USBs and wearing out the sockets.

You could creat a file from anywhere and have it available at your machine.

And when you get bored you could always go to your favorite websites with out leaving the machine!

Last edited by magma-joe; 08-22-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

magma-joe,
    I am happy that you didn't say I was off my rocker! At least I have a glimmer of hope for my idea. The idea of having a known size is great and I will find something that I can use, maybe a hi-quality square (somewhat large). The difficulty in training the reps is keeping a streamlined profile. We work with at least ten different companies who all have their own "style" of salesmenship. Some are laid back, some will peck you on the forehead until you buy something! They all are good at what they do but getting them to agree on a specific way of doing things is another animal all together.

I have been playing with we-cim for a few nights now and have yet to figure out how to flip or rotate a part to make a tighter nest automatically. I can manually place them but I can do that easy enough in sheetcam. I am missing a key element.

I hope you had a chance to work on your retro over the weekend!

WSS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, I have heard that jpeg images can be converted. I will be interested to hear your outcome. It could certainly be a huge benefit and time saver.

The WE-cim software will automaticly nest your parts to your specs. You can manually play around however you can "tell" the software how many times you want the part rotated while it is figuring out the nest. You can also choose from 4 selections from a loose nest to a nest so tight it makes you squeak. If you review the training video section on single and multiple parts nesting it covers the parameters you have to choose from.

Here is the gantry update. I got in about a day and a half of work so I made a little headway. You can see in the pics the gantry ends beginning to take shape. Both ends will look the same. I will start fab work on the motor pivot brackets next.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-1-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-2-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-3-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-4-jpg  

NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-5-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-7-jpg  
    Last edited by magma-joe; 08-23-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

magma-joe,
    Is the mill CNC? Looking good! Aluminum is fun to work with. You feel like you have accomplished something at the end of the day. Seems like I remember you saying you were getting into a CNC mill. If so, how is it working? Your parts look real good. I see you have a belt grinder too, that is a nice machine for finish work. Is that a "sit in front" type or is it off of it's stand?

Cheers
    WSS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WSS, thanks for the kind words,

Yes the mill is CNC. It opened a whole new world of being able to make parts. I do love it. As for the belt sander, it is connected to a 5hp Baldor buffer I use for polishing parts. It is mounted on a 5 x 8 frame with a 3hp buffer on one end and the 5hp on the other. I roll it around with a pallet jack. Polishing is a dirty process but a mirror shine adds to the bottome line.

Did you get my PM?

Downloads
    Uploads

magma-joe, I did get your pm. I'll contact you tonight.

Polishing and belt grinding, that sounds like a knife makers shop. I have a small shop in our basement where I can hide from real work. I have a 2X72 belt grinder down there that I love to put steel to for relaxation. Polishing is messy I agree, especially when you use that toothy file looking thing to condition the wheel, all of that rouge coated cotton floating around! My dog loves the coarse brown rouge the best, we have to fight over it to see who gets to eat or use it first.

WSS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Gantry update,

After drilling 104 holes, countersinking 52, and tapping 56 of them I have lost count of of the hours spent so far. I probably have another 100 holes or so to go with mounting 30 feet of gear rack and 24' of V rail and square cam follower guide rail. Next thing on the gantry will be mounting the gear rack and then fabricating the motor mount pivot brackets and a new slave side motor mount base plate.

I like the new style Dynatorch y axis carriage assembly with dual linear rails. It seems much more rigid than my current one. The rigidity will be very important when using the Dynascribe.

I have included one picture of the floating V guide wheel assembly. It is just a longer sholder bolt for the wheel to float on. It will go on the slave side and compensate for any alignment issues between the master and slave side. The spring loaded guide wheels will be used on both master and slave side to hold the gantry down.

For those of you following along with earlier model Dynatorch machines, I will also be updating the electronics in the Z axis THC. This is a simple upgrade and can be done for about $5.00 with a part from radio shack.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-g1-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-g-2-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-g-3-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-g-4-jpg  

NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-g-5-jpg   NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-g-6-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That will work great! I see now how the V bearing can "track", it simply slides on the shoulder bolt. I assume the master will be solid and the slave will have the floating bearing? With the T slot mount you could add a few of the floaters mounted on a bogie or truck/trunion for a really stable (triangle) ride if you needed to, and use only the two underside cam followers for hold down pressure. The long shoulder bolts could even be twice the diameter for lateral stability. Just an idea. I have had to install sub x axis floaters on two of our machines. I have used round rail linear solid for one that has 400lbs of upward pressure on a 1.5" supported rail. It only moves about .100"over 172" but I could never have aligned the rail within tolerance to the master side and it is only 12" away. That binding feeling and sound is not sweet music. I have to say the DT carriage rolls smooth with no hint of that creaking, binding feeling.

I need to add that the gantry looks awesome!

Edwardo, did you cut the gusset file you posted? I have a similar "no web" file I need to make and am wondering if it worked. Is that called chain cutting?

WSS

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW BUILD / Dynatorch Upgrade-mjdblbogieidea-jpg  
    Last edited by WSS; 08-30-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: add comment

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Magma-Joe your gantry looks great, i can only imagine how much thought and time it takes to build but in the end i'll bet its worth every minute. Thanks for the links also, it is good reading.

WSS i havent fired up yet, i had some left over reno material laying in my shop so i decided to do another room while im all set up for that type of work, then took the weekend off and went fishing

i ( hope ) to start up in a few days, i'll do a dry run of that gusset dxf file and see how it goes then and let you know, it should work as i put it through sheet cam and there were no problems, i ran it through the post proccessor and it loaded into DT... but i guess i wont know for sure until i actually cut it.
    Im not sure what that type of cutting is called, its just something i drew up but i had to think about it for awhile, i knew what i wanted to do but i wasnt sure how to do it, so hopefully it works out.

Regards
    EDD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Edwardo, WSS, thanks.

WSS, your bogie idea sounds interesting. It would be very stable. Thats what I love about the CNC Zone, so many ideas to think about.

Edwardo, I am curious to see how your gusset file works out. Keep us posted.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast