No Z axis jog on a Delta 20 controller

Thread: No Z axis jog on a Delta 20 controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default No Z axis jog on a Delta 20 controller

Looking at a Journeyman 325 tomorrow... has been sitting idle unpowered for 2 years. Owner wired in yesterday to demo machine for me and found Z axis wouldnt jog.
    He called me and cancelled the demo until tomorrow.....hoping to find issue and have it fixed.
    Haven't heard that he found a solution but plan on going to see machine for myself anyway.
    Any tips on diagnosing the problem..? I see power supply issues are common .... but not sure if just one axis would be inop.... X amd Y jog fine.
    Battery backup would seem logical as it was sitting unused and unpowered for 2 years but as far as i know controller boots up normally with no error messages...
    Owner says he can jog quill manually from drive pulley so a frozen spindle doesnt seem likely.....
    Going to bring my multimeter to check assorted voltage points and i understand the 3 driver cards are interchangeable so i may swap a known good card for the Z to check the motor....
    Any insight would be helpful....
    Thanks in advance.....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: No Z axis jog on a Delta 20 controller

OK Guys....got this thing on the ropes..... I swapped the Y card to the Z and it worked fine.... so I got a good card from Ebay...... installed the card.... no jog on Z or holding power....turn motor by hand with drive engaged.... Set card to factory pot setting per servo dynamics manual.... still nothing..... started increasing (CW) CL pot..... got motor to start a slow Z- jog ..... backed it off until jog stopped....
    Then with a scope hooked to Z axis and Y axis it tried moving pots to make Z waveform look like Y ...... right now my Z is holding...cant move it much by hand with drive powered and it returns back to zero as soon as you let off with pressure..... I adjusted balance pot and have Z lag nice and steady...... Aux is all the way CCW ...... Signal is 10 turns CW ...... Tach is 5 turns CW ....... Comp is 10 turns CW ...... CL is about 8 turns CW..... and Balance is about 10 turns CW ......
    Leaving CL and BAL alone.... if i turn SIG .....COMP.... or TACH ..... much in either direction (individually) I will either trip the drive with no motor movement OR turning TACH or SIGNAL too far CCW will bring back -Z jog with no signal input.....
    SO..... motor is holding Z but not jogging when I call for it....but it will move all by itself if I turn "down" the tach or sig.... right now everything but the CL and BAL are at factory manual settings....
    What do i do next....??? I REALLY dont want to try and turn the Y pots to try and duplicate those settings....I would rather just try and get this "new" Z card tuned in.... any thoughts on what to trim next ?? These pots are much more sensitive than I thought they would be....

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there is Z jog speed set in the controller? Are you getting a command signal to the drive? I have used an AA battery to apply a command signal to drives, that will tell you if the drive is working.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Is there is Z jog speed set in the controller? Are you getting a command signal to the drive? I have used an AA battery to apply a command signal to drives, that will tell you if the drive is working.
    HiJIm,

Yes... I have jog selected and a speed and still no jog....with either cards...except Z works perfect with Y card plugged into all 3 Z connections....
    How do I apply the AA battery voltage to the card to test it... ???
    Thanks in advance....

Downloads
    Uploads

Do I understand correctly that plugging the Z axis into the Y axis drive and then using the Y jog buttons you can jog the Z?

On the drive (card) there are 2 pins that form the command signal, normally one is the card ground, and the other is the command differential input. In operation, the actual command signal is +/- 10 volts, this comes from the computer. I can't tell you exactly where those pins are because I have no idea what drives you have. Do you have a pinout for the cards?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Do I understand correctly that plugging the Z axis into the Y axis drive and then using the Y jog buttons you can jog the Z?

On the drive (card) there are 2 pins that form the command signal, normally one is the card ground, and the other is the command differential input. In operation, the actual command signal is +/- 10 volts, this comes from the computer. I can't tell you exactly where those pins are because I have no idea what drives you have. Do you have a pinout for the cards?
    Luckily i have everything. ...
    Drives are Servo Dynamics 1525-10...i have original manuals for those...plus full size tree schematics for wiring from machine to drives and maintenance manual from tree which outlines pot settings for cards which differ greatly from generic instructions in SD manual...
    Of the 15 or so pins available across the top of the card only 7 are utilized in my tree... 2 signal pins...probably where the trigger voltage would be applied. ... 2 tach pins... one common.... one drive reset pin...and one limit switch pin....
    The other side had a 3 pin... +15v, common, -15v .... and a 8 pin... 2 +100v dc, 2 common, 2 + output dc to motor....2 - dc output to motor.... pretty simple once you wring it out....
    And when i "jog" z display indicates a signal being generated... readout changes depending on jog rate selected before drive trips.....
    Like i said...works flawless when i put Y card to Z connectors

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah,, same drives I have in my machine. On connector J1, pin 2 is the input signal, pin 4 is the common (signal ground). If you put an AA battery across those pins, the Z should move. It's a differential input so the + or - could go to the common. Will cause the Z to move one way or the other. Before you do that, check the voltage between those pins when you are trying to jog. I would guess it should be in the 0.5 to 0.75 V range.

Downloads
    Uploads

No Z axis jog on a Delta 20 controller-15621718_10208330017903816_7441957608758894637_n-jpg
    No Z axis jog on a Delta 20 controller-15589742_10208330018103821_4031844117765398944_n-jpg
    No Z axis jog on a Delta 20 controller-15590640_10208330018263825_8525342579897840233_n-jpg
    OK .... TREE writes specific directions on tuning and installing the SD1525-10 card into their machine... NOT A SINGLE MENTION OF JUMPER B.....
    Saw "jumper B" on print....well ill be damned....change jumper and POOOOOOF.....it JOGS !!!!! A CHRISTMAS TREE MIRACLE !!!!!

So...to recap...original Z board failed.... I spent hours and hours chasing wires...checking voltages for correct output and ripple (big deal with dynapath im told).....looking for shorts or opens to motor....
    pulled motor and cleaned brushes and commutator being careful not to disturb encoder.....when I was satisfied the Z wiring and motor would not harm a good card I tried the Y card on the Z axis...WORKED....
    The new cards when set to tree specs held the motor but no jog.... JUMPER B JUMPER B JUMPER B ....LOL