Delta 50 VFD Spindle install

Thread: Delta 50 VFD Spindle install

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Delta 50 VFD Spindle install

Does anyone know the pinouts for port 5 to control a VFD for spindle speed output? I just added a VFD to my mill and would like to control the speed as well. However, I cannot find any 10v outputs out of Port 5 (Spindle) form the Dynapath. Any help would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Delta 50 VFD Spindle install

I am looking at this myself. From what I gather from the manual, the servo output will provide a speed signal to the VFD.

Servo pinout is as follows:

Pin 7 = chassis ground, attached to the cable shield
    Pin 15 = servo out common
    Pin 8 = servo out signal

You will then have to set up the parameters at addresses 0830 to 0837.

Hope this helps,

RT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. However, I got no voltage variation from those ports. Wonder if I need to feed the 10v from the VFD into the common. Do you currently have a VFD on yours?

Downloads
    Uploads

No, not installed yet. Did you set up the parameters? Also, is the spindle speed option enabled in your control?

RT

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wrk24wheel View Post
    Thanks. However, I got no voltage variation from those ports. Wonder if I need to feed the 10v from the VFD into the common. Do you currently have a VFD on yours?
    With regards to feeding 10V from the VFD: I'd say no. I did add a 4th axis and the control outputs the correct +/-10V signals in that case. I haven't tested the spindle control option though.

RT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes. Parameters are all set properly. I am only getting millivolts out of Port 8 and 15. Does not change as I increase or decrease speed. I double checked the settings for 0830 - 0837 and they are all correct. All gears are set the same. It was a nightmare just getting the For/Rev to work. That took me all weekend to decipher the wiring and rewire the relays to work. BTW, I could not find any Spindle Speed option on the control. Just the enable D/A spindle control in the parameters.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm... just throwing this out there, but is your spindle override set to max speed? This tripped me up once while tuning my 4th axis.

Another possibility is that the PLC doesn't have the logic programmed to support spindle speed (I don't know if this is common).

Is everything working as normal except for the speed signal? All axes are moving?

RT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Override is set in the middle. Didn't do anything. As for PLC, not sure as I don't have the original program. I do know that it will let me select and program the speed. When I spoke to Dynapath a few weeks back, they made it sound as if all I had to do was wire it up. No additional programming outside of the parameters file. Getting frustrating now. I will have to reach out to them in the morning.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you take the voltage readings with the port wired up to the VFD or directly on the card without connection to the VFD?

RT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Directly from the card without connecting it to the VFD. Otherwise, I know I would get the 10v from the VFD.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you enter a spindle scaling factor in the gear ranges? That is the only place I see that we can enter a volt/rpm value.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All that was entered. It may just be the PLC wasn't programmed properly. I will have to find out the DWORD associated with this and see if I can see it in the status screen. I guess that will tell me whether or not it was set up.

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you did everything right. I'll see if I can start up my machine this week and try the parameters out. I'm in the middle of rewiring the shop so it may take a bit longer.

RT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Up and running now. You were right. PLC was not programmed for spindle speed. After speaking to Dynapath, I found out that I was lucky that my machine was a System10 conversion. The PLC used allowed them to use the old manual relay method that was in place without having to reprogram the entire PLC. Therefore, I was able to jumper Pins 36 and 26 on J1 input to the PLC. I now have voltage out of port 5 and to the VFD. Works like a charm. Now I just have to mess with the gearing ratio to get the speeds correct. Will work on that tonight. Good luck with your VFD install. Hopefully, yours will go smoother than mine did.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's great news! I'm glad Dynapath could help, they have always provided good support to me as well.

RT