dynapath help with conversational

Thread: dynapath help with conversational

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default dynapath help with conversational

I have a J325 that I am working with and I am new to the cnc word but have done some projects on my own with alot of help from a friend, but in a jam this time. I am trying to cut 3" deep with a taper of 3/8" on 2 sides and 2 sides straight down. Its basically an intake port for an intake manifold I am putting together. I was reading the manual and it shows how to do a frame mill, but not a taper frame mill. If i could get an idea from some people out there with more experience at this it would help greatly.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

There isn't an event on the control that automatically produces a tapered side.

I would not use the frame mill on this part. Why not? Because you could use the frame mill to step down into the feature you are trying to produce, but it would require a fair bit of math because you would have to calculate the start point for each frame (the start point is the lower left corner, not the center). You would also have to calculate the length and width, which would become smaller in a linear fashion. The real problem would be that the sides of this feature would be steps and not smooth, even after all the calculations.

I think you would get better results by programming a profile of several moves in the YZ plane, then using the Repeat event to step along the X axis incrementally. A couple of hints: a.) the YZ profile should end at the same point it begins and b.) the step along the X axis must be an incremental move (there must be a "/" after the number). This type of programming assumes you're using a ball nose cutter and you won't be able to use any cutter compensation, since cutter comp on this control is only 2-dimensional.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jagardner4 View Post
    There isn't an event on the control that automatically produces a tapered side.

I would not use the frame mill on this part. Why not? Because you could use the frame mill to step down into the feature you are trying to produce, but it would require a fair bit of math because you would have to calculate the start point for each frame (the start point is the lower left corner, not the center). You would also have to calculate the length and width, which would become smaller in a linear fashion. The real problem would be that the sides of this feature would be steps and not smooth, even after all the calculations.

I think you would get better results by programming a profile of several moves in the YZ plane, then using the Repeat event to step along the X axis incrementally. A couple of hints: a.) the YZ profile should end at the same point it begins and b.) the step along the X axis must be an incremental move (there must be a "/" after the number). This type of programming assumes you're using a ball nose cutter and you won't be able to use any cutter compensation, since cutter comp on this control is only 2-dimensional.
    Thank You
    That sounds like a better way than the way I was going about it. I will try this and get back with you.

Thanks again