DM2400 Conversion Started.

Thread: DM2400 Conversion Started.

Default DM2400 Conversion Started.

I'm starting an upgrade on a Dyna DM2400. The plan is to use existing power supply and motors with a Gecko 540 board. I want to ask the successful upgraders if they rewired to the motors or did you use existing wiring. What kind of connector did you use at the motor? I see limited room under the motor cover for new wire or connector.
    How is the spindle wired to the Gecko? Or do I need to wire the spindle separately? It appears the existing distribution board sends a run (voltage) signal to the spindle control board and it turns the spindle on.
    Any help will be appreciated!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DM2400 Conversion Started.

I reused my connectors but got new pins. They were JST connectors, the NH series. Here is the part # for the pins alone. SHF-001T-0.8 BS. If you call JST they will send you 24 or so for free as samples if you ask nicely ;-)

I never had the spindle connected to the G540. I just ran it manually( the spindle not the mill). There really isnt a reason to either. You wont be leaving it unattended. I suspect you are correct in the way it is activated. Judging from the manual/auto switch.

Personally I would rewire the steppers if I kept them. I built a belt drive in my lathe to get rid of the geared system it uses.

A lazy man does it twice.

Thank you for the reply and part numbers, that is exactly what I suspected. I will call JST. Did you leave the spindle control board in or did you remove it?
    When you say rewire do you mean new wire (22 ga?) to the steppers or wire them in parallel? If I remember you posted you ran in bipolar-series?

Downloads
    Uploads

If I were to do it again I would rewire the entire thing due to its age. On my mill I built jumpers because I used an enclosure and the control box is farther away. That was always a part that bothered me even though it never caused a problem.
    On my lathe I did rewire with new wire. I believe you are right, wired in bipolar series. If my drivers were higher amperage I might have choices but the best torque is achieved with the bipolar set up in its present iteration.
    22g is fine.

A lazy man does it twice.