DM4400-what size 3 phase motor for rotary converter - Page 4

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: DM4400-what size 3 phase motor for rotary converter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DM4400-what size 3 phase motor for rotary converter

Hey Jim-

I talked with Marty this morning and he provided this link as a troubleshooting possibility:

Servo dynamics sd1525-10 servo amp?

I'll be taking a look at this soon. It's not the exact same amp but close enough. I'll keep you posted.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jim-

So yesterday afternoon I spent some time with the advice from the previous link, but I didn't get any where with that. I studied the board carefully with a magnifier, but nothing jumped out at me and I didn't quite understand how to make the checks described (geez I wish I was better with electronics). I wasn't about to take it apart to check for physical shorts, all those big transistors (I think) and the heat sink would have been a nightmare and I surely would have brought the whole project to an end then and there, so I fiddled around a little more with the bent test point area just to feel like I was accomplishing something. I decided to check the resistance at TP2 just to see what it had been set to but then remembered it was 0, so I decided to play with the adjustment on the aux pot it was connected with, but no matter where I set it the resistance was always 0. I went one step further and de-soldered the pot just to check it out isolated from the board--I got 19.something K across one set of legs (don't remember what I got across the other two sets, I think it was infinite or 0 on one set and the same 19K across the third set). I then turned the adjustment knob and checked, but the resistance never changed. I thought I must be doing something wrong, so I removed another pot just to see. I then got readings that made sense--about 20K across the outer legs, and 2 different values across the other two sets that were roughly additive to 20K, and I could get various values while adjusting it. So my conclusion was that the pot for TP2 must not be any good. With the pot removed I went back to TP2 to check resistance to ground--I don't recall what the value was (back to work today) but it was definitely not 0 anymore, nor was it infinite. I was not able to interpret the diagram to deduce what it might have been without going through the pot, so my only conclusion from that whole exercise was that the pot had gone bad. I'd be shocked if I had more or less stumbled on the problem, but I'd appreciate your comments on my efforts so far.

Today I plan to order some new pots, plus a rectifier (while I'm ordering electronics anyway) so I can replace the seemingly bad pot and have the rectifier on hand for the 3 phase to single phase conversion when (if) I get the board back to working order. I also plan to give Servo Dynamics tech support a call soon to see if they can offer any guidance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Call Servo Dynamics support. As I mentioned to you in a precious email, this fault seems common on these amps. Hopefully SD support can offer some guidance. These is a fellow on YouTube that worked with an SD 3060. Search it and read the comments. Simply a lead. I would replace the 3 phase power diode bridge with a square package bridge needs to be done anyway. Keep us posted.
    Marty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Marty-

I need to replace that pot (43P203) so I'd like to order that from the same place as the rectifier, but I'm having trouble finding both items in one place. Got any suggestions? If I have to I can split it up, but I know I'll pay a lot more in shipping that way.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drhanger View Post
    Marty-

I need to replace that pot (43P203) so I'd like to order that from the same place as the rectifier, but I'm having trouble finding both items in one place. Got any suggestions? If I have to I can split it up, but I know I'll pay a lot more in shipping that way.
    Search ebay for this part number KBPC8010. 80A 1000V I believe this is one I used on mine. Way overkill but I'd rather have the extra margin.
    They do the same thing.

Marty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You might look at Digikey or Allied Electronics for the parts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    You might look at Digikey or Allied Electronics for the parts.
    Hey Jim--

I already ordered both from Ebay--in fact within 10 minutes of placing the order for the rectifiers it was shipping! Also ordered some of the pots from the Jameco store on Ebay, so should have both items soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update: I haven't called SD tech support yet, still on my to-do list. Meanwhile, while waiting for my new parts I decided to go through with my earlier plan to swap out the driver with the working one in the second machine. I stopped in the riggers storage and had them move it to a power source so I could verify the operation first. Everything initialized just fine and I could operate the spindle at various speeds, also checked the fault LED's and all was fine, so confirmed the second driver was good. I powered down and pulled the entire driver chassis assembly and went home. I was going to just change out the whole assembly, but the second one was really messy (found out later the fan wasn't even working, lucky the driver worked at all) so I swapped circuit boards, putting the second board into the first chassis assembly and back into the first machine. Guess what, the ground fault returned with the working board. So I returned the second board to the original chassis and put that in, and all was fine.

Since I had already removed the motor cables to eliminate that possibility, and the ground fault did not reappear with the second chassis assembly installed (although the spindle did not initialize, assuming it must have the 3 phase shutout that Jim referred to earlier), it seems that some component on the first chassis assembly itself may be the problem.

BTW, what's the best method of cleaning all the old oil and grunge off the assembly without causing any damage? Contact cleaner?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drhanger View Post
    Update: I haven't called SD tech support yet, still on my to-do list. Meanwhile, while waiting for my new parts I decided to go through with my earlier plan to swap out the driver with the working one in the second machine. I stopped in the riggers storage and had them move it to a power source so I could verify the operation first. Everything initialized just fine and I could operate the spindle at various speeds, also checked the fault LED's and all was fine, so confirmed the second driver was good. I powered down and pulled the entire driver chassis assembly and went home. I was going to just change out the whole assembly, but the second one was really messy (found out later the fan wasn't even working, lucky the driver worked at all) so I swapped circuit boards, putting the second board into the first chassis assembly and back into the first machine. Guess what, the ground fault returned with the working board. So I returned the second board to the original chassis and put that in, and all was fine.

Since I had already removed the motor cables to eliminate that possibility, and the ground fault did not reappear with the second chassis assembly installed (although the spindle did not initialize, assuming it must have the 3 phase shutout that Jim referred to earlier), it seems that some component on the first chassis assembly itself may be the problem.

BTW, what's the best method of cleaning all the old oil and grunge off the assembly without causing any damage? Contact cleaner?
    Did you do that YouTube search?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    Did you do that YouTube search?
    Yeah, I found it but haven't watched it yet. Thanks for reminding me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like you're making progress.

I'm guessing that either the blocking diode or a transistor is shorted on the first board output section. That can be repaired later.

As far as the 3 phase shutout, I'll review the drawing again to see if it actually exists.

Contact cleaner is good, you can also use non-flammable auto brake parts cleaner (tetrachloroethane). Do not use the flamable stuff, it's laquer thinner and will damage the insulation.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My apologies, he had a different problem, he was blowing a line input fuse.
    I do have the leakage problem you do on my spare amplifier, it still has its 3 phase bridge and will be replacing it.
    The fact that you swapped a good SD3060 amplfier onto the SD3060 chassis that supplies power to it and recreated the problem does seem to indicate that the problem is not with the amplifier board but rather the chassis if I read your last diagnostic procedure correctly.

Last edited by Marty_Escarcega; 01-11-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast