DM3000 Tool Change Macro (M6Start)

Thread: DM3000 Tool Change Macro (M6Start)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DM3000 Tool Change Macro (M6Start)

This file was given to me quite a while ago by a very generous unnamed member. I am posting this to help others as he helped me.

You will have to copy and save this as an m1s file and then install it in place of your existing M6Start macro in Mach3.

If IsLoading() Then
    'Do Nothing, program loading

Else

' Dim Variables

Dim Num_Tools As Integer
    Dim CW_Steps_Per_Tool As Integer
    Dim CCW_Steps As Integer
    Dim HoldingDRO As Integer
    Dim Requested_Tool As Integer
    Dim Current_Tool As Integer
    Dim CW_Feed As Integer
    Dim CCW_Feed As Integer

'Dim moves As Integer
    'Dim total_move As Integer

' set up some vars

Num_Tools = 6
    CW_Move_Per_Tool = 360/Num_Tools
    CCW_Move = 10
    HoldingDRO = 1050
    Requested_Tool = GetSelectedTool()
    Current_Tool = GetCurrentTool()
    CW_Feed = 3000
    CCW_Feed = 2000
    Current_Feed = GetOEMDRO(818)

' start tool change

Message ("Requested Tool No=" & Requested_Tool)

If Requested_Tool > Num_Tools Then
    Message "Requested Tool No. too high, program stopped."
    Code "M30"
    End
    End If

If Requested_Tool < 1 Then
    'Message "Requested Tool No. too low, program stopped."
    Code "M30"
    End
    End If

If Requested_Tool = Current_Tool Then
    ' do nothing
    Else
    ' lets do some changing
    If Requested_Tool > Current_Tool Then moves = Requested_Tool - Current_Tool
    If Requested_Tool < Current_Tool Then moves = Num_Tools - Current_Tool + Requested_Tool

total_move = (moves * CW_Move_Per_Tool)+(CCW_Move/2)

'Move to safe position
    Code "G0 G53 Z-1 X-.25"
    'Pause for 1/2 second
    Code "G04 P0.5"

Code "G91 G94" 'incremental & Feed per minute
    Code "G01 A" & total_move & " F" & CW_Feed
    Code "G01 A-" & CCW_Move & " F" & CCW_Feed
    While IsMoving()
    sleep(10)
    Wend

SetCurrentTool Requested_Tool
    SetUserDRO HoldingDRO, Requested_Tool
    Code "G90" ' back to absolute movement
    Code "F" & Current_Feed
    End If
    End If

' end of tool change

Similar Threads:
    A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DM3000 Tool Change Macro (M6Start)

Now that I have posted this, hopefully it will be of benefit to others in the future.

A question to those who understand how to write a tool change macro.
    Being that the DM3000 has a bidirectional tool changer. How would one write a macro that if a tool was closer CCW? The macro would need to power a relay that releases the pawl and turns the tool turret CCW. Then depowers the relay upon reaching the correct tool and backs up against the pawl.

Everyone I have ever seen with a DM3000 has their tool changer set up the way of this macro. Yet the changer itself is capable of bidirectional travel IF the electromagnetic pawl is lifted via 12v. I do have the power supply in the cabinet that can be used and a relay, the extra pins etc.

In case you are not familiar with the mechanism itself, here is picture of MRM's tool changer as it is disassembled. Clearly there is a pawl and electromagnetic switch, I have verified it does work. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dyna-m...ml#post1120441, see post #22.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How will the tool changing macro know which inputs and outputs I have the solenoid, sensors and stepper hooked to? Do I need to put it in the actual macro or is there something in mach 3 that I have to do?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DM3000 Tool Change Macro (M6Start)

Your ports and pins for the turret will have to be set up in Mach and tuned. Because it is angular, there are 360 steps to a revolution. Also select angular in General Config.

The macro needs to be installed in the Mach3 file. It will replace the M6 start file there.

This doesn't use the sensor or the solenoid. This macro passes the assigned tool location and backs onto the pawl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got around to wiring up the turret with a new stepper motor. I installed your macro and my turret now moves. Thank you. I am having a weird issue though perhaps I don't have something set right in mach3. If I have tool 1 up and call up the next tool, the turret indexes perfectly and backs up against the pawl. It will do this perfectly every single time for every "next" tool without any issues. For some reason though if I am at tool1 and decide to call up tool 6, the motor over rotates and doesn't back up tightly against the pawl. Seems odd since it will work fine if I call up each tool in order. Any ideas? I did check the a axis angular in general config.

I did delete this line in your macro, would that have anything to do with it?

'Move to safe position
    Code "G0 G53 Z-1 X-.25"
    'Pause for 1/2 second
    Code "G04 P0.5"

Ever since day 1 I always program the turret to move a safe distance away prior to indexing

Downloads
    Uploads

I did mention this was given to me. I dont know much about editing but I have changed some values during set ups over the years.

My suspicion first would be the rotational reset in mach gen config. It is not called that but something along those lines. And also check persistent tool.

In regards to the removal of the safe position script. You are still using some form of code in its place arent you?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I did mention this was given to me. I dont know much about editing but I have changed some values during set ups over the years.

My suspicion first would be the rotational reset in mach gen config. It is not called that but something along those lines. And also check persistent tool.

In regards to the removal of the safe position script. You are still using some form of code in its place arent you?
    Thand for the reply fastest, all I did was remove that little section where it tells the machine to move to a safe position. I already do that in my programs . I can't see any reason it would cause an issue

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mike3385 View Post
    I finally got around to wiring up the turret with a new stepper motor. I installed your macro and my turret now moves. Thank you. I am having a weird issue though perhaps I don't have something set right in mach3. If I have tool 1 up and call up the next tool, the turret indexes perfectly and backs up against the pawl. It will do this perfectly every single time for every "next" tool without any issues. For some reason though if I am at tool1 and decide to call up tool 6, the motor over rotates and doesn't back up tightly against the pawl. Seems odd since it will work fine if I call up each tool in order. Any ideas? I did check the a axis angular in general config.

I did delete this line in your macro, would that have anything to do with it?

'Move to safe position
    Code "G0 G53 Z-1 X-.25"
    'Pause for 1/2 second
    Code "G04 P0.5"

Ever since day 1 I always program the turret to move a safe distance away prior to indexing
    Did you guys get this to Work?
    Bi directional I may be able to help.

Downloads
    Uploads

CNC, I havent been working on the DM3000 lately. However I did pose the question to you on YouTube about modifying the macro. The above macro is the 1 I was referring to. At this point I have not assigned an output pin for the solenoid but I do have the 24v power supply and relay ready.
    My boat has been getting my attention lately.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    CNC, I havent been working on the DM3000 lately. However I did pose the question to you on YouTube about modifying the macro. The above macro is the 1 I was referring to. At this point I have not assigned an output pin for the solenoid but I do have the 24v power supply and relay ready.
    My boat has been getting my attention lately.
    I thought you may be one in the same OK well you no how to reach me I think it may be a simple fix. I'm interested because I would like to one day add a turret to the G0602.

Be Safe,
    Sam

Downloads
    Uploads

The Gecko Conversion on the DM3000 lathe I purchased does have a working uni-directional tool change M6 macro.
    If anyone has an update to get the lathe working in bi-directional tool change mode - I would greatly appreciate it.
    You can contact me here, or PM here, or EM me: JoeComunale <at> Comcast.net (obviously delete spaces and change "<at>" to @ symbol
    Would be interested in hearing from other DM3000 owners that made a Gecko/Mach3 conversion.

[url]www.CNC-Joe.com[/url]
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

It is going to take more than the macro. The solenoid for the pawl will have to be connected and have a pin assigned.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Fastest1. I'm looking forward to using my D-3000. and getting the other one converted to Mach3
    (Two lathes are better than 1)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Joe View Post
    Thanks Fastest1. I'm looking forward to using my D-3000. and getting the other one converted to Mach3
    (Two lathes are better than 1)
    I will be looking for the videos

Downloads
    Uploads

Retracting the pawl won't be a problem... just activate the relay.... Hoping to get more time in out in the shop.. if my cars will quit breaking down... and things around the house.