Dyna Myte D3000 Lathe - Trying to get it up and running

Thread: Dyna Myte D3000 Lathe - Trying to get it up and running

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dyna Myte D3000 Lathe - Trying to get it up and running

Hi Group,

- I just purchased a 1990 Dyna Myte D3000 Lathe, and am trying to get it up and running.
    - The controller/pendant was missing it's battery - and I replaced it (ie soldered a new battery onto the pcb)
    - Ok, right now when I turn on the power.. I get a terrible loud buzzing noise from the contactor relay pack (beside the blue timer box).
    - If I hold the contactor relay in with a screw driver (it does not latch in)... the controller/pendant will blink it's red led lights..and respond with a "Ready?" on the LCD display ((( Yahhhh!!!! some success !!!! ))))
    - When I respond by pressing "Yes" ("1") - the X axis does a backlash move and reports its backlash (0.023mm), same for the Z (0.070 mm), then the turret rotates around .. but I get a "Tool stuck" error message.

Anyone know how to get the contactor relay working?
    Anyone know what to do about that "tool stuck" error message.

(( PS: Thanks to Robert at Dyna Mechtronics for helping me out to this point! ))

Similar Threads:
    [url]www.CNC-Joe.com[/url]
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dyna Myte D3000 Lathe - Trying to get it up and running

Clear your pm box. Cant get thru. I did email your request.

Regarding the contactor, does the panel have a momentary push button? ( I cant remember the original panel) generally they need a momentary signal to energize the contactor and if the contactor is wired correctly it should latch. That latching wire also runs thru the EStop and IIRC it goes thru the door switch too.

My limited time with the original electronics had it working in no time but that was most likely luck. I personally would unplug every modular plug 1 at a time, inspect it, maybe blow with air and reseat each and every connector I could get my hands on. I dont remember the turret homing or measuring backlash but it has been a long time and I never used it with the stock electronics (after trying to pursue software and or dongles, of course everyone claims an answer now).

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Fastest1,

- I cleared out a few messages from the email - so my PM should work now (Wished it had more storage capacity....).
    - I don't see a momentary contact switch on the machine anywhere.. but I may be missing something.
    - Do you have a detailed blog of your conversion?
    - I've retrofitted a Sherline, a 9" South Bend, and a 10" South Bend with steppers. Probably will wind up doing a conversion on this machine to get it running Mach3... but for now -I'd like to get it running under the Dyna Controller.

Thank You for your help.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you use a contactor on any of your other machines or understand how they work? It appears you do if you are pushing the contacts in manually. I would think it could be a few things.
    1. The contactor is bad. It does occur but these are simply electromagnetically controlled switches.
    2. The wire that forms the latch is missing.

Maybe a few more questions might narrow it down.
    Turn on the main power switch. The switch itself would most likely light, correct?

Nothing else occurs necessarily. Though i think you say there is a buzzing at this point. ? My thought is the buzzing could be an alarm as it is waiting for the signal of the momentary button to lock the coil down within the contactor.

When you manually push the contacts in and release them does the contactor stay on? Or does it immediately release when you lift pressure?

Post pictures too. We all love pictures and I think these machines were built a few different ways or had options we are all not familiar with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Fastest1,
    - Sorry for the late response - I've had some health issues and not back to this site.
    - To answer your questions:
    - The switch does light up
    - When I manually push the contacts - they do NOT stay in .. I have to keep holding them in.
    - The buzzing is definitely the contactor relay buzzing. I would like to keep that portion of the e-stop switch intact - but may have to sacrifice it.
    - Now that I have soldered in a new motherboard battery - the cpu will boot up (provided I am holding the contactor relay in with a screwdriver.
    - The X axis, and Z axis will home, the tool changer rotates but eventually errors out with a "stuck tool" error message

- I am pretty sure that I am going to gut the thing, and put in Gecko 213 or 203's, and a C10 BOB from CNC4PC
    - I am going to start work on a temporary stand for this beast.. then start digging into the electronics... I will take lots of pictures and blog it.
    - Please drop me a line at: JoeComunale <<AT>> comcast.net when you have time

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

I just can't say how impressed I am with the PMDX 126. Not much if anything is so well executed. It leaves room for expansion past your imagination.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I just can't say how impressed I am with the PMDX 126. Not much if anything is so well executed. It leaves room for expansion past your imagination.
    The PMDX 126 along with the PMDX 107 spindle controller and ESS is my favorite combo. So much of the configuration just works the first time.

-FREEMAN

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Joe View Post
    Hey Fastest1,
    - Sorry for the late response - I've had some health issues and not back to this site.
    - To answer your questions:
    - The switch does light up
    - When I manually push the contacts - they do NOT stay in .. I have to keep holding them in.
    - The buzzing is definitely the contactor relay buzzing. I would like to keep that portion of the e-stop switch intact - but may have to sacrifice it.
    - Now that I have soldered in a new motherboard battery - the cpu will boot up (provided I am holding the contactor relay in with a screwdriver.
    - The X axis, and Z axis will home, the tool changer rotates but eventually errors out with a "stuck tool" error message

- I am pretty sure that I am going to gut the thing, and put in Gecko 213 or 203's, and a C10 BOB from CNC4PC
    - I am going to start work on a temporary stand for this beast.. then start digging into the electronics... I will take lots of pictures and blog it.
    - Please drop me a line at: JoeComunale <<AT>> comcast.net when you have time

Joe
    I had the same problems. Have you tried coding dyna yet. Just gut it.

Downloads
    Uploads

MRM - I'm with you, just gut it and get it over with. I like Mach Turn, anyhow.
    - I do think I want to film it running as much as it can.. so that I can sell the driver boards and controller.
    - Any offers out there? PM me ( See Post #5 Here )

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Analias,

- I am not familiar with the PMDX boards. Can you give me some reasons why I would want to use that over a simple BoB ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dyna Myte D3000 Lathe - Trying to get it up and running

Because it is the most robust board available. It has multiple power supplies built in. It needs no external power supplies. Integrated spot for a smoothstepper and a spindle speed controller. With onboard power for each. Charge pump circuit. Extra ports and pins in expansion mode. And plenty of stuff I don't understand. The PMDX126 will surpass any expectations you might have and then some.

Saving a few dollars up front won't save you headaches in the future.

Downloads
    Uploads

Because it is the most robust board available. It has multiple power supplies built in. It needs no external power supplies. Integrated spot for a smoothstepper and a spindle speed controller. With onboard power for each. Charge pump circuit. Extra ports and pins in expansion mode. And plenty of stuff I don't understand. The PMDX126 will surpass any expectations you might have and then some.

I meant to reply, Fastest1 beat me to it. I would also include integration for the PMDX 107 spindle controller and PMDX 134 and 133 "motherboards" for mounting and interfacing Gecko controllers. The PMDX 126 allows for very flexible e-store, and servo failure/recovery modes.

CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Downloads
    Uploads

I meant to reply, Fastest1 beat me to it. I would also include integration for the PMDX 107 spindle controller and PMDX 134 and 133 "motherboards" for mounting and interfacing Gecko controllers. The PMDX 126 allows for very flexible e-stop, and servo failure/recovery modes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello fastest
    To you or anyone have you had the dyna 3000 tool turret rigged up to the pmdx 126.thanks.

Last edited by shoot; 08-28-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have had the turret running just fine but I wasnt using the solenoid to allow full bi directional travel, nor the optical sensors. Just a simple tool change macro with 60 degree rotation with a slight back up against the pawls to control tool height. My next iteration is prepared electronically to deal with both the solenoid and opticals if need be. However I have moved over to an Mx3660 in the lathe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shoot View Post
    Hello fastest
    To you or anyone have you had the dyna 3000 tool turret rigged up to the pmdx 126?.im not even close to rigging mine up yet, and still have a little learning to do.
    I don't know how difficult it will be getting the turret working with the pmdx but the emco lads have me wondering why they need another board (andrew b turret board)to liaise between the turret and the pdmx126..as far as I can tell there turret also uses optical sensors ,hopefully its straight forward.
    Are you using mach 3? Mach isn't fast enough to read the sensor signals. That's why I didn't have mine to use bidirectional.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am using Mach 3.

How is Mach not fast enough? It works for limit and spindle index sensors. Of course I havent gotten to that hurdle yet.

Are you set up to release the solenoid controlling pawl?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MRM RCModels View Post
    Are you using mach 3? Mach isn't fast enough to read the sensor signals. That's why I didn't have mine to use bidirectional.
    thanks both I used to get notifications of replies... yip using mach at the minute but subject to change if I have too much bother.
    im also using one of these uc300 motion control boards (usb) and have the lathe jogging back and fourth I just need to get the turret rotating and the macro installed correctly..the latter im struggling with.

like fastest asked, are you using the turret solenoid.if so would you be willing to share your macro RC