Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3

Greetings, Wanted to know if anyone has converted a DM2800 to Mach3? Looking for advice and/or what is needed for the conversion? Where to buy the hardware as well?

Thanks for your help.

Similar Threads:

I just bought a DM2800 this week as well. I too am interested in any info. I am new to CNC and know very little. I have managed to get the basics of the original controller down but it is very cumbersome. I read that these do not accept g-code with the original setup but the guy that sold it to me said it did. Either way i would like some info to get my parts from solidworks to cnc. thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, any luck with the Dyna 2800 conversion to run with Mach3. Can anyone recommend a conversion for this machine. Will a Gecko G540 with smoothstepper work with this machine or what would you recommend?

Thanks

I have found a bunch of mach threads on here or other related site i would say just keep looking. I am still trying go with the original drip feed setup but its going slow but steady. Relying heavily on one or two individuals for knowledge.

Downloads
    Uploads

RN,Yes the g540/ss combo will work. Does your machine have the original electronics and are they operable?

Stroked, When you say cumbersome, exactly what do you mean? CAD/CAM isnt the simplest either. I do believe you can drip feed your dyna just the way it is. Yes you can use GCode, you will not have access to dyna's built in macros and such. There is a member here named Tbirdgreg. He had a full webpage on exactly how to interface with a dyna, including the pinout of the transfer cable.

I meant that it seems to me that it would be a PITA to try and type a long code in manually and if you hit the wrong button on the original controller that it could set you back easily is all. I just figured a long readout where it is easy to see the code is a little easier to see whats going on. I will be looking for that page. I have been trying to avoid any overhaul if possible. Thanks for the tip!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Dyna works fine with original electronics/control but is a pain to use. Tried the drip feed method as well but had no luck with my old computer serial ports and decided to upgrade vs buying another computer. Spent over two weeks researching until I was blind and finally discovered Jeff Birt @ Soigeneris Jeff was very helpful and knowledgable of the Dyna mills and purchased everything from him.

I should receive the G540, smoothstepper (Ethernet) version soon and will be using the original power supply/motors. From what I hear, other users are very pleased with the Mach3/G540 conversion.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the 2400 and a 3000. They are good machines as is yours. Most people have not only changed the steppers but came up with some form of a work around on the gearing.

The G540/SS will not gain you much speed but will allow you to use GCode and modern CAD/CAM. In actuality the SS was no real gain but it does bypass the need for a PP so there is some advantage there.

I don't know your level of knowledge on these systems or of CNC but I started with 0 experience in CAD, CAM, GCode, machining or electronics. Now after a few years of tinkering I have learned a bit more. I have read many threads of people successfully interfacing with their Dyna's and are happy with the results. The machines were very well designed and built for their era.

Not knocking your desire to control the machine. It would be a shame to find all you really needed was the correct cable and a knowledge of file transfer or drip feeding to utilize the existing machine.

Jeff is a wealth of knowledge in many aspects and is helpful. You will also have to verify all of the wiring harnesses as Dyna has a tendency to vary from the manual. No problems there, just tedious.

I do wish you the best on the conversion. Please keep us informed on it as we all enjoy pics, write ups and creative solutions.

Last edited by Fastest1; 12-10-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started out with the drip feed process and had a local Cad/Cam/Dnc company including Dyna help me with that. After hooking everything up, discovered the computer I was using had problems and needed to either build a new or replace the computer for it to work. The cost for DNC and new/used computer was expensive. I could of purchased a used computer on ebay with pp and download free Dnc software on-line but after pondering and pondering/reading numerous posts, decided to go with modern technology vs old and use my modern computer to run Mach3.

I have owned a Taig cnc mill for many years now and learned allot from that which led to experiencing a Haas VF0/Mastercam/Solidworks/Alibre/Cimco for a company that is now long gone. I missed the Haas and have no interest With the Taig anymore after getting spoiled. This is a hobby that I enjoy and wanted something better than the Taig and the next best thing that I could fit in my cellar was the Dyna or Haas mini/office mill. The cost for the Haas was 28 times the cost of the Dyna and for hobby use, I chose the Dyna. So far, I'm impressed with the Dyna and is like a mini Haas with some of the same features. No tool changer but not a problem.

Hopefully made the right choice and will keep you posted and share my experiences with the conversion as well.

Have a great day!

Downloads
    Uploads

It does sound like you exhausted all of the avenues with the intent to use the original hardware and electronics if possible. I ripped my 3000 apart almost immediately. Knowing (or hoping) I could convert it as I had just gotten a Sherline built and was beginning to understand the necessary components. There are many more threads available now that give me a little more insight. If I would have studied up, I am sure all I really needed was a BOB and the understanding of how to tie it in to the drivers and such.
    Having said all of that. I dont really regret the journey I have taken. The machines will be much faster and I will be using components I am familiar with. I run a G540 on my DM2400, it works well but has been truly neglected since the G0704. Though it cuts every bit as well, just a smaller envelope. The DM3000 in its next reiteration will be running a MX3660 and an ethernet SS. It is already here and getting ready.

Gentlemen,

I would really like to drip feed because I am learning that things I try to modify usually end up incorrect and non functioning and learning as you go gets expensive. It had to work at some point in time right? I feel I have read every rs232 post I possibly can. I have been looking for TBIRDGREG's website but like you had said, it is down. I have tried contacting him but he has not responded. Does anyone have any good reference material for wiring/debugging/ what to check for bad parts? I have the original manual but the wiring schematic for the 232 does not seem right as far as the pinouts go and many have mentioned the books are garbage.

I have hyperlinked the com1 port on the computer and it responds but connecting to the machine does not. I am using NCLINK 2800, 8bit, 1 stop, even odd non parity. tried using % signs in the start fields and made sure the com on the computer matches the link settings. I have tried uploading and downloading but niether work. (download>>execute>>load block or dl>>load prog) I am using a NULL modem cable setup that I made and check the pinouts for going 9-->25 pin. The latest communication i got yesterday was "echo not recog" I read the forums on that response but not much direction since they were using CIMCO.

going towards the glazed over look.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have read this thread several times. I have also contacted MFGBYDESIGN and talked to him a little bit. I am waiting for him to get back to me. I have tried these setups but been confused between what the thread says and what I was told by him. I also do not know if I need/want to run through a breakout board. I actually dont know much about how these work if anyone has any input. My basic understanding it that it become the new communication port and wires to the existing controller boards for each axis. Not sure how it talks to the original controller and would I have to wire every input into this (limit switches etc?). I will read slowly again tonight.

Thanks for the help guys.

Downloads
    Uploads

I dont think Tim (MFGBYDESIGN) is active here much anymore. I used to see quite a bit of his tinkering. Now not so much, maybe it all works now ;-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fastest1, I found the OEM connectors used on the Dyna circuit boards. http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eNH.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

I posted those a few weeks ago. In fact if you go to their website and request samples they will send you some. I got 30 for free. They fit and work perfect and it will allow me to use the original plugs.Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3-imageuploadedbytapatalk1386815417-305973-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ahha! That's great news. I should of asked before spending hours searching DigiKey website. Where did you post this photo?

Downloads
    Uploads

In my years long thread "the Dyna Myte 3000 project. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99679

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a bit confused on how to wire the P852-508-B/G540 in series after finding (2) wiring schematics on-line? The English version is (shown below) but the French version is a bit different. Same phase/color codes but different wire configurations. The french version has the (phase A) wired "green/white" to "gray" and (phase B) "Blue/white" to Brown" What would you recommend or does it matter?
    Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3-image-jpg

Phase A

Brown + (G540 pin 8)
    Brown/white -- (connect to blue +)
    Blue + ( connect to brown/white--)
    Blue/white -- (G540 pin 9)

Phase B

Gray + (G540 pin 6)
    Gray/white -- (connect to green +)
    Green + (connect to gray/white--)
    Green/white -- (G540 pin 7)

Last edited by Robonut; 12-13-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Revised version

Downloads
    Uploads

The G540 has a max of 3.5 amps per stepper IIRC. The wiring is bipolar parallel most likely. Not sure why there would be a difference between languages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast