Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I noticed the transformer/line voltage seems a bit odd. I have 117 vac going into the transformer but only 105 vac output. I checked the connections on the back of the transformer and all seems hooked up correctly. Will this be a problem for components that need 115vac ? Should I bypass/disconnect the transformer and run 117 vac direct to the output line or does it matter?

Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3-image-jpgDynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3-image-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

If it were me I would get the power as it was coming into the transformer and branch off a circuit to power the essentials needing 120v. From my little knowledge and your schematic, it looks like there are other outputs. Did you verify all output voltages of the transformer?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, verified all other output/inputs. The wires are correct as far as the placards go. Might have a problem with the transformer? I emailed Dyna as well to confirm but probably won't hear anything until Monday. Can't wait to get started on this conversion but still waiting for the electronics to arrive from USPS? The tracking info said it was scheduled for delivery 4 days ago??? I will never ever have anything shipped from USPS again! UPS from now on....

Downloads
    Uploads

There isnt a problem with your transformer. It is all going to work

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like the transformer was connected to the 125vac tap and the output was 105vac out with my 117vac input. Adjusted to the 115vac tap and now getting 115vac output. All is well including the PS output of 50vdc.

man you guys sure seem to know a large amount about this stuff. I have kicked around just saying screw it and doing the conversion but you have me worried about all the changes needed (maybe they are not that bad but sound scart). I have no idea where I would start and immediately come back to the idea of staying with what I have especially since some say they have done it. I am 25 and just getting into this addiction and feel like there is a long way to go. keep posting, I am learning through osmosis.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aha! I was in your shoes weeks ago and this is my first attempt as well. Started on the drip feed method and decided to convert after having a few issues with my old computer. I think the conversion process will be easy after learning and studying the existing schematics/components. Fastest1 is a successful conversion technician. And I wish to follow. Hang in there, as soon as I get my electronics delivered, will post the conversion process...

Downloads
    Uploads

Fastest has had many iterations of a few machines. Then he sees someone do it a different way and realizes he too can improve and away he goes ripping a working machine apart again. Sometimes just as baffled as the first time though it is getting more familiar. I have had my share of magic smoke too, you know the kind you arent supposed to inhale. Most has been minor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hooked up the smoothstepper/G540 and can move XYZ (jogging mode for now) All is good and coming along. Will start on the I/O next and run a few test programs

Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3-image-jpg
    Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3-image-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I dont think Tim (MFGBYDESIGN) is active here much anymore. I used to see quite a bit of his tinkering. Now not so much, maybe it all works now ;-)
    It's Steve BTW;-)
    Busy with new job, kids activities. I burned up one of my drives (DM2800) trying to get my 4th axis working. Bought a Gecko drive setup but no time to play with that either.
    If I can line up another teaching contract for fall I might have some time this summer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok guys, so far so good! Wired up the home/limit switches to the G540 and ran a few test programs. All is well and runs good! Need to tweak a few things and wire up the relays for spindle/coolant and v speed for spindle next. Now I want a touch screen for Mach3 and MPG...

Have a great Christmas and Happy New Year!

Default Re: Dynamyte DM2800 conversion to Mach3

Quote Originally Posted by Robonut View Post
    Ok guys, so far so good! Wired up the home/limit switches to the G540 and ran a few test programs. All is well and runs good! Need to tweak a few things and wire up the relays for spindle/coolant and v speed for spindle next. Now I want a touch screen for Mach3 and MPG...

Have a great Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Hi guys,

I heard, that to make a simple convert of DM2400 or DM2800 to mach3, only a swapping a breakout board is needed. Do you have any knowledge about this. I just bought a DM2400, and thinking about converting to Mach3, but I would like to leave old motor steppers and drivers as are. Is it possible just to get a new breakout board without leaving all rest to do a simple conversion?? If so, how to do this, and what type of break board is gonna be the best??

Best Regards,
    Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hello!!
    I´m trying to make the same conversion
    the electronics of my machine looks a little diferent than the others I see, I suppose that is because is for the european market.
    can anyone send me some info of this conversion and also the manual of the machine?
    thanks and regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I'm sure you can use the existing driver boards with new breakout board but could not find any schematics on-line to wire it up and dyna would not release that info either. I simply used a Gecko G540 with SS board and works great with OEM steppers. I would highly recommend contacting Jeff @. Soigeneris. He has performed surgery on the Dyna machines before and has the parts for the conversion. Good luck and happy holidays!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I would highly recommend contacting Jeff at Soigeneris. He has performed surgery on the Dynas before and helped me as well. The G540 with SS works great with OEM stepper motors. Happy Holidays!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the reply robonut
    when you say SS is for smoth steeper?
    happy holiday for you too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

but I think that with the g540 you don´t need the smoth stepper, it has the breakout board in

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, The G540 will run without the ESS (Ethernet Smoothstepper) but all depends on the type of computer you have (parallel port or USB) and speed/performance desired. After researching available options for the conversion, I discovered the ESS "motion control board" works great combined with the G540 (see below.) I also installed a VistaCNC MPG (P1AS) and a touchscreen monitor as well. In a nut shell, its like a mini Haas and runs smooth! The MPG is a must (for me anyway) and highly recommended as well.

More info here about ESS motion control boards and uses>>. Motion Control Boards Take Mach3 From Hobby Class to Industrial Grade, Part 2 - CNCCookbook CNCCookbook

MPG here >>. vistaCNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the reply robonut
    very good info, when I have money I´ll go for the ESS and the g540 but first I want to try to use the original drivers with other
    breakout board I have from other project.
    My big problem is that I have to dismantle the machine to down it thru the stairs because my workshop is in a basement and it´s toooooo heavy
    I need the exploided view of the manual and mechtronics dont answer my emails .
    please, robonut, have you got the manual? can you send me a copy?
    thanks and regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/members/rickster58.html may have the manual already scanned in PDF. Give him a try. I have the manual but not scanned...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast