Dyna Myte touch probe info requested

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyna Myte touch probe info requested

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dyna Myte touch probe info requested

I purchased a DM2800 originally equipped with a probe. I received the machine with a cable and no probe, evidently lost in shipment. I would like to add this functionality and looking for any knowledge, such as: a picture of the probe, how many wires (my cable has 2 wires that look like they were attached), Normally Closed or Normally Open, what is the sequence of operation when using the probe.
    Also looking for a suitable replacement.
    Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Look under Zarzul here on the zone. He makes a nice probe. I believe it is now being sold under Wild Horse Innovations? Nice piece anyway. Try starting the probing routine on the 2800 and touching the 2 wires together if it stops it is right, if it never moves try initiating the probing sequence when the wires connected. The best way I believe is to have a normally open switch and if a wire breaks everything stops til you fix it. If it is normally closed it just keeps going. I too have a 2800 though I havent pulled it out of storage for a refit with Mach. Mine is complete less any way rs232 software or cards. On my Dyna lathe the limit switches were wired NC. I just had to change the setting in Mach. If I could find the exact replacement switches in NO, I would replace them but they do work well in all of my tests so far.

Downloads
    Uploads

Damn I just reread your post. Was it shipped with the probe and it fell out? I lost some Dyna lathe tooling when a member packed something with no consideration for anything but my money. Lost a few pieces that are not in production nor do I see them on Ebay or elsewhere. Will solve those problems when I get there. Hope it helps. Are you on the Yahoo group? There is a little activity over there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Heres a picture of the touch probe that came with the DM4400's. It has three wires inside the cable and a round 9(?) pin plug.

Timothy

PS. Its also a spare, so its for sale if your interested.

Downloads
    Uploads

Its a five pin plug. However only three pins are actually used.
    One red, one white and one black wire.

Timothy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Timothy,
    Looks like it will work on my machine. Will send PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone use a spindle probe? (like a Renishaw)

Ok I realize this is the odball question of the month, but here goes.

I've been working on a DM2016 (see thread in this forum), and was wondering if it would be possible to use my Renishaw touch probe. I've found the J34 connector on the main board, but I assume this expects a simple switch, i.e. either no or nc. If the switch opens again (or closes), does motion resume, or does it stay in feed hold. Also, does the switch making stop motion in all axes or only Z? I realize it's intended for a toolsetter probe, but I thought just maybe...

Looking through the Renishaw verbiage, it doesn't look like it outputs anything like a simple low or high. It has something labeled "pulsed (skip)", which I believe is exactly what it says, a pulse of some duration that tells the control to stop right now, but it does not stay in that state.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ferrous View Post
    Its a five pin plug. However only three pins are actually used.
    One red, one white and one black wire.

Timothy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dave Design,
    It's my understanding from what I've read that the "touch probe" can be used in SETUP mode to pick up offsets (one axis at a time). To do this you lay the probe on the side between the tool and work and jog the machine into it.

I recently aquired a probe (thanks 2ferrous) but have not had a chance to try it yet. Working an hour drive from home is seriously cutting into my Dyna time, but that's soon to change. I'll post some pinouts along with states (NO, NC) or some sort of description when I get a chance, but probably next weekend at the soonest.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd be interested to see if it works, at least manually. The auto probing option did cost extra, and sadly, isn't on my machine. From what I can see in the manual and from Roberto at Dyna, I would need an M42 macro program, which isn't there. M42 just gives me an error, and the M42 macro is physically not present in the 4M_SUB.DAT file.

My interest wasn't so much toolsetting, but a spindle probe like this http://www.renishaw.com/en/mp700-hig...ch-probe--6104 but if the tool probe can tell an axis to stop, a spindle probe could do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mfgbydesign View Post
    Dave Design,
    It's my understanding from what I've read that the "touch probe" can be used in SETUP mode to pick up offsets (one axis at a time). To do this you lay the probe on the side between the tool and work and jog the machine into it.

I recently aquired a probe (thanks 2ferrous) but have not had a chance to try it yet. Working an hour drive from home is seriously cutting into my Dyna time, but that's soon to change. I'll post some pinouts along with states (NO, NC) or some sort of description when I get a chance, but probably next weekend at the soonest.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I think I understand now...

This thing was beating me over the head with a 4X6 trying to tell me how to make it work and I was just ignoring it!

The magic command to make probing in any axis work is the skip command, or M64. What I didn't understand is this command is modal, that is, it's active until canceled. So my little Z probing routine looks like this:

M64 N-56 //modal command, wait for signal X-56 to go low ("probe touch", short pins 1 and 5 on J34 big control board)//
    G1 Z-1. F1. //start moving down in Z (but M64 is still waiting for that signal!)//
    M0 //when the condition specified is met in the M64, go here!//

I kept trying to put the M64 after the move command, and of course, it just patiently waited until the move was complete and did nothing.

There is a big problem remaining, however. I can get the axis to stop when the probe touches, but how do I capture the position and go to the next part of the macro without having to hit cycle start again? Oh wait, this just in. All I need to do is insert a move command in place of the M0. Obviously, I'd want to capture the position where the axis stopped before, I know that's somewhere in the macro commands, but apparently any move command cancels the previous one in progress and goes where you tell it.

This would also work with a Renishaw toolsetter probe like the TS-27, as well as the original Dyna unit, and of course any spindle probe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Video of probe working

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLNVoKfsEs"]YouTube- ‪Renishaw probe on Dyna Mechtronics DM2016 mill‬‎[/nomedia]

For some reason, the Renishaw "pulsed skip" output or whatever they call it doesn't trip the probe trigger logic on the 4M control. Maybe the 40msec pulses are too fast for the control to notice. No matter, I switched to the probe status output of the Renishaw OMI (big round device to the right of the probe), and it's working fine now. That output stays low as long as the probe is tripped.

If anyone needs help with spindle or toolsetter probe setups on a Dyna 4M, I'd be glad to help. I would post macros, but A, I haven't written them yet, and B, Renishaw may be unhappy about this because their probing cycles are copyrighted.

Downloads
    Uploads

So is it depending on a NC to go to NO upon touching. If so I will stick with my circuit board as a touch plate and implement it on this machine too. Unless anyone else has a probe?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thats all the Dyna Mechtronics touch probe is. A switch in a nicely machined housing. Oh and a red LED lights up too.

You could use the touch probe from Wildhorse Innovations too.

http://www.wildhorse-innovations.com...d&productId=80

I bought one for finding the center of holes.

Timothy

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim, I already have a probe made by Zarzul. How are you using it for centering with the Dyna ( I believe you are using Mach 3). Btw I am trying to get it (my mill not lathe)operating with the original controller. So far I can program from the keypad pretty well. I dont understand all of the sequence of Dynalan or Skip C or whatever it is. It does go thru a series of questions/prompts ( I am not sure what to call them) prior to any moves. But for simple pocketing, bolt circles and the like it seems pretty easy. I would like to know what tells me overall depth of cut and cut per pass. Soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

I will be using Ernies Probe Screen in Mach3 when I get around to setting up one of the inputs on the G540 for the probe.
    In the mean time I just use a co-ax center finder in a 3/8in collet and jog the table around till I find center.
    As for tool heights, I measure them outside the machine on a granite plate with a height gage.

I'll check my DM400 manual for the bolt circle programming and see what I can find.

Timothy

Downloads
    Uploads

On my Sherline with my Hobby CNc Pro controller Zarzul's probe works great. The dyna doesnt do a G31 but it must have something similar. A touch plate is all I am going to use with the DM 2400. Or that is my intention at the moment. On my mach controlled machine I am running the MSM Beta with a touch plate and a probe and soon to add a fixed touch plate for auto tool measurement and offsets. Still cant cut where I want to though! LOL

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim on the G540 there is nothing to do but connect the wire to the pin and the 0 logic/ground. It works great. I have used it on the Hobby cnc pro plenty. I want to implement the probe and or touch plate features in the original Dyna hardware. There are 3 wires on the Dyna probe. 1 is for a shield, 1 for signal and 1 is TTL? I am not sure just how to interface it just yet but that is next. At least a piece of pc board to touch off for Z,X &Y.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ferrous View Post
    I will be using Ernies Probe Screen in Mach3 when I get around to setting up one of the inputs on the G540 for the probe.
    In the mean time I just use a co-ax center finder in a 3/8in collet and jog the table around till I find center.
    As for tool heights, I measure them outside the machine on a granite plate with a height gage.

I'll check my DM400 manual for the bolt circle programming and see what I can find.

Timothy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does anybody know of which aftermarket touch probe that will work with my DM2000 mill? I cannot locate an original...
    Thanks,
    Tom

Downloads
    Uploads

Dyna doesnt have one? They had one for a 2400 last week for 350.00. I figured I can build a touch plate that does the same thing for a few bucks. Have you tried jumping 2 of the pins when do a probing move to see if it will stop? That is my next attempt. Right now I am working on communicating thru the RS232 port. I can upload but not download just yet. Soon I am sure. Tom dont you run Dyna's original software? I would like to ask you a few questions if you do run, say DYNACOM for the transfers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dyna probing command

There may be other ways to do it, but on my 4M Dyna, M64 is the skip command. The basic form would be (going from memory, not in front of the machine, so don't blame me if you crash!). There is no G31.

M64 N-56 (wait for pin 5 on J34 to go low)
    G1 Z-1. F1. (Move down in Z at a feedrate)
    <some G or M code to capture current position>

There is also a conditional skip, M72, which I haven't tried. I don't know what variable is current Z (or X, Y, U, V), but I'm pretty sure it's there somewhere.

If the machine has the probing option on the control, you can use M42, which is basically just a probing macro. This is not documented in my manual (which is actually a manual for the 2800/1007).

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Dyna doesnt have one? They had one for a 2400 last week for 350.00. I figured I can build a touch plate that does the same thing for a few bucks. Have you tried jumping 2 of the pins when do a probing move to see if it will stop? That is my next attempt. Right now I am working on communicating thru the RS232 port. I can upload but not download just yet. Soon I am sure. Tom dont you run Dyna's original software? I would like to ask you a few questions if you do run, say DYNACOM for the transfers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast