wiring dmm dyna 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wiring dmm dyna 4

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default wiring dmm dyna 4

any info on wiring the dyna4 drives would be helpful. i have downloaded and printed the pdf from the site. wiring diagram is very limited. i have wanted to use 3 phase power as advertised but have been instructed that they cant use three phase over 110 volts per leg. my next thought was single phase 120v i was instructed that it will work but the motors are made for 200v and would lose the needed torque. so now i want to use 220v ac. i asked if i could use two legs from my 3 phase to do this and got no response. do i need to run a separate single phase line in? also what legs of the power go to which input? they are T,S,R available. Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: wiring dmm dyna 4

You need a single phase 220V source.

Connect to the R and S terminals, as explained on page 20 of the manual.
    http://www.dmm-tech.com/Files/DYN4MS-ZM1-A17a.pdf

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by baxter435 View Post
    any info on wiring the dyna4 drives would be helpful. i have downloaded and printed the pdf from the site. wiring diagram is very limited. i have wanted to use 3 phase power as advertised but have been instructed that they cant use three phase over 110 volts per leg. my next thought was single phase 120v i was instructed that it will work but the motors are made for 200v and would lose the needed torque. so now i want to use 220v ac. i asked if i could use two legs from my 3 phase to do this and got no response. do i need to run a separate single phase line in? also what legs of the power go to which input? they are T,S,R available. Thanks in advance.
    What is the voltage of your 3 ph power, and voltage from leg to leg

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

voltage generated from a phase converter. 220V

Downloads
    Uploads

voltage generated from a phase converter. 220V
    A phase converter is not good for cnc systems like this, if you had a phase perfect system then that would be fine

Just use 240v single Phase, 2 hot and Ground, you won't loose any performance with using this supply

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

its a american rotary phase converter designed for cnc equipment.Model AD 25. I can run in another single phase line if needed tho.

Downloads
    Uploads

its a american rotary phase converter designed for cnc equipment.Model AD 25. I can run in another single phase line if needed tho.
    Is this a machine that you are adding the Dmm system too, or a new Build, some photos would be good of what you are trying to do, having the rotary phase converter you have to be careful of the wild leg, that will mess with any CNC machine even though they say they are designed for CNC machines, they are never a good choice for a 3 Ph power supply, for these machines

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First id like to thank you for your input. I am adding the dmm servos to a 5 by 12 router table. Trying to get a Uccnc operating system, with uc300 Ethernet motion controller, a cnc4pc C62 dual port board up and running. Z axis has a brake on servo and im working on the best solution for that too. I have the the phase converter for the spindle motor which is a 7 hp perske. considering upgrading to a larger ATC spindle later and sized phase converter to accommodate. Spindle speed control thru Vacon Vfd. Also have other 3 phase equip in shop. Engineer at dmm didnt comment about issues when i asked about using two legs from a phase converter. I will def watch for the wild leg tho as you stated. If i have any issues i can easily add single phase 220 power to servo drivers tho.

Downloads
    Uploads

First id like to thank you for your input. I am adding the dmm servos to a 5 by 12 router table. Trying to get a Uccnc operating system, with uc300 Ethernet motion controller, a cnc4pc C62 dual port board up and running. Z axis has a brake on servo and im working on the best solution for that too. I have the the phase converter for the spindle motor which is a 7 hp perske. considering upgrading to a larger ATC spindle later and sized phase converter to accommodate. Spindle speed control thru Vacon Vfd. Also have other 3 phase equip in shop. Engineer at dmm didnt comment about issues when i asked about using two legs from a phase converter. I will def watch for the wild leg tho as you stated. If i have any issues i can easily add single phase 220 power to servo drivers tho.
    As long as the 240v for the drives is from the 2 main supply legs you should not have any problem, I still don't think you need the RPC even with the 7 Hp spindle, it can cause problems with the wild leg supply for VFD drives

Just make sure about the wild leg, it can not be used for the Dmm Drives, so be careful with that part, you will need the Power filter also for the logic power supply plus fuses

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I called a few manufactures and they told me that they didnt have a vfd to run a 7hp spindle from single phase power. i am also considering a 11 hp atc and wanted to be prepared for the larger power draw. I contacted dmm about sizing the protection for the drives. They stated 20A for the 750 which i have 3 of and 30A for my larger 1.3kw. Thats on 220 v power.That seems very high to me. I thought the 750 were close to one hp?

Downloads
    Uploads

I called a few manufactures and they told me that they didnt have a vfd to run a 7hp spindle from single phase power. i am also considering a 11 hp atc and wanted to be prepared for the larger power draw. I contacted dmm about sizing the protection for the drives. They stated 20A for the 750 which i have 3 of and 30A for my larger 1.3kw. Thats on 220 v power.That seems very high to me. I thought the 750 were close to one hp?
    Check the Dmm motor spec's or any other manufacturer's, they can draw up to 20A servos are not a regular Ac motor which would have a low max amp draw

AC Tec make a single phase VFD that I think they go up to 15 Hp ( may be higher ) but you will need a good supply to support a VFD like this, plus your other parts of your system, also most 3 Hp VFD drive will run on single phase so you have plenty of options, there will be a derating with a VFD like this running on single phase so go larger than you need

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe i been misinformed. Id love to see a vfd that can output 220v 3 phase power to run a 15 hp motor from single phase 220. The phase converter I have takes 70 amps single phase input to make enough to start a 12.5 hp hard starting motor. The three companies I called which specialized in vfd sales stated not possible. I looked quickly on my phone on ac tec and id need to call them as i didn't see anything capable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe i been misinformed. Id love to see a vfd that can output 220v 3 phase power to run a 15 hp motor from single phase 220. The phase converter I have takes 70 amps single phase input to make enough to start a 12.5 hp hard starting motor. The three companies I called which specialized in vfd sales stated not possible. I looked quickly on my phone on ac tec and id need to call them as i didn't see anything capable.
    VFD Drives have a softstart, so they should never see a hard start, there are people running VMC that have up to 15 Hp with single Phase it is right at the limit of using single phase, but your 7 hp spindle motor is far from 12.5 Hp, one of my Haas machines has 7.5Hp spindle motor and it runs the whole machine on single phase

Yes I looked as well at the AC-Tec drives and did not find them either, I know that they used to have them so is worth a call, Phase Perfect is your next best to give you 3 ph power, I have one of there large units and they perform great, but are spendy, really the only real choice you have if you want to run large Hp on single Phase

What you have is no problem for single phase, though the drive wants to be double the Hp of what you want to run

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You are a wealth of knowledge. Much appreciate your comments. I will look into the vfds you suggested on monday am. The phase converter I have is 1900$ so also spendy too if not needed because i still need a vfd for spindle control. I have a Vacor vfd at the moment for the 7hp spindle and works great. I made a homebrew rotary phase converter long b4 Vfds were commonplace for my lathe and mill. The price now has came down so much it makes them obsolete for small hp.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    I have a similar question and I will jump on this thread and ask here since it is on the same topic...

I also have 3 Dyn4 H01 drives and my shop runs on 3-phase 240v. Voltage measures at L1 / R= 120v to ground, L2 "wild leg" / S = 215v to ground, L3 / T = 120v to ground (L1 to L3 = 240v, L1 to L2 = 245v, L2 to L3 = 245V). So my question is, will it be best / safer running the drives on 2 legs of the 3 phase as in single phase L1 and L3 or will I be okay with running them on full 3 phase wired L1=R L2=S L3=T.

I have been running them for months on the full 3 phase as I thought it was acceptable to do so... I have not had any issues running them this way but I will rewire to run on two legs if that is the proper way and if it is better for the drives in the long term.

I am unaware of a 3 phase power option which does not have a high leg. Please help me understand how one would be able to run a Dyn4 on 3 phase without hitting the 140v max that is specified in the manual. I dont know of any 3 phase source that does not have a high leg above that voltage. That is why I assumed 240v 3 phase is ok. The manual states to keep voltages between any R-S-T-L1-L2 terminal below 240v which that is what my voltage meter reading are. Max 244v between R->S and S->T the rest of the readings are under 240v (R->T, L1->L2 etc..)

I do have a main noise filter, and also individual noise filters for each drives L1 L2. Of course also fuses and breakers for each drive.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rob2290 View Post
    Hello,
    I have a similar question and I will jump on this thread and ask here since it is on the same topic...

I also have 3 Dyn4 H01 drives and my shop runs on 3-phase 240v. Voltage measures at L1 / R= 120v to ground, L2 "wild leg" / S = 215v to ground, L3 / T = 120v to ground (L1 to L3 = 240v, L1 to L2 = 245v, L2 to L3 = 245V). So my question is, will it be best / safer running the drives on 2 legs of the 3 phase as in single phase L1 and L3 or will I be okay with running them on full 3 phase wired L1=R L2=S L3=T.

I have been running them for months on the full 3 phase as I thought it was acceptable to do so... I have not had any issues running them this way but I will rewire to run on two legs if that is the proper way and if it is better for the drives in the long term.

I am unaware of a 3 phase power option which does not have a high leg. Please help me understand how one would be able to run a Dyn4 on 3 phase without hitting the 140v max that is specified in the manual. I dont know of any 3 phase source that does not have a high leg above that voltage. That is why I assumed 240v 3 phase is ok. The manual states to keep voltages between any R-S-T-L1-L2 terminal below 240v which that is what my voltage meter reading are. Max 244v between R->S and S->T the rest of the readings are under 240v (R->T, L1->L2 etc..)

I do have a main noise filter, and also individual noise filters for each drives L1 L2. Of course also fuses and breakers for each drive.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert
    You are running 3 Phase supplied from your Power supply company, they wanted to use 3 Phase from a Rotary Phase Converter, there is a big difference, if your system is running fine don't bother to change anything, they are designed to run on 3 phase

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Robert,
    When i contacted Tianyu at Dmm I was told You can only use 3 phase 110VA. For 220Vac only use 2 phase and make sure voltage between the two phases does not exceed 240Vac. RST doesnt matter, the hot and neutral into any two input. but best to use R and S as the PCB circuit is shorter so it helps with noise. Drives will also run on 110vac single phase but motors are rated 200V so the motor will only achieve rated speed. K

Downloads
    Uploads

Robert,
    When i contacted Tianyu at Dmm I was told You can only use 3 phase 110VA. For 220Vac only use 2 phase and make sure voltage between the two phases does not exceed 240Vac. RST doesnt matter, the hot and neutral into any two input. but best to use R and S as the PCB circuit is shorter so it helps with noise. Drives will also run on 110vac single phase but motors are rated 200V so the motor will only achieve rated speed. K
    There is no such thing as 110v 3 Phase in the USA

120V is Single Phase ( 1 Hot Neutral and Ground ) ( 240v Single Phase is ( 2 Hot and Ground Split Phase L1 and L2 ) 240v can also be 3 Phase (3 Hot and Ground )

These Dyna 4 Drives can run on all 3 types of power supply

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Mactec and Baxter for the reply. Your replies really helps clear things up.

I guess what had me confused most is in the manual where 3 phase wiring is mentioned, do they really mean 100vac 3 phase max (measured line to ground or line to line)? Like I said, I've been running my system 3ph 240vac no problem for over 10mo.... am I just lucky at this point that I haven't had issues? I have not seen many options for getting 3 phase 100vac unless possibly with a custom transformer which is still pretty odd and not to mention even harder to source such a transformer. Also, where they state the max voltage for 3 phase is it really 140vac or was it a typo and supposed to be 240vac. I circled in red in the following picture the text that had me confused.

wiring dmm dyna 4-dyn4_manual-power-png

Anyways, Thanks for the clarification.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    There is no such thing as 110v 3 Phase in the USA

120V is Single Phase ( 1 Hot Neutral and Ground ) ( 240v Single Phase is ( 2 Hot and Ground Split Phase L1 and L2 ) 240v can also be 3 Phase (3 Hot and Ground )

These Dyna 4 Drives can run on all 3 types of power supply
    This really clears things up Mactec... Thanks.
    Ignore my last post I must have been typing at the same time as you were leaving a reply.

Anyways much appreciated, thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast