Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings

3 of my 4 Dyn2 servo drives seem to be randomly losing the odd setting here and there on startup.
    One drive which was running fine switched from step/direction mode to cw/ccw upon a reboot and another reset it's main gain from 65 to 1 on a reboot.
    These drives are working fine and once I use DMMDrv to change the settings back they continue to work fine.

I have contacted DMM about this but have yet to receive a reply.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings

DMM replied, appears this is a known issue with the software version in my drives.
    Replacements are being dispatched to me.

You can't really say fairer than that.

Unfortunately the drives are one of only two things that are bolted onto the steel mounting plate in my enclosure from the rear. So I have to tear down my control cabinet to replace them!

Downloads
    Uploads

matth

How long have you had your drives, as I have not seen this problem before, it must of been that batch of drives you have

What settings do you have in Mach 3 for motor tuning Velocity Acceleration, If your Velocity is not set correct you will trip the drives with over speed, if you have this set correct you won't get any Drive tripping

If your Ballscrew is 5mm Pitch then the max Velocity setting you can have for the 400w motor is 600

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If possible could you post a pic of your drive specs and manufacturing dates if available. I have a couple dyn2 drives that I've had for about 2 years. I'd like to get them set up but would hate to find a problem like that after getting it all setup.

Ben

Downloads
    Uploads

bhurts

If it is something they know about that is a problem,they would replace or reprogram, your drives, The only problems I have seen similar to this, is when someone wires the drives incorrect, this will damage the Drives

The input power wiring Just 2 wires +/- (48vdc) on the old Dyn2 Drives, The 48vdc needs to run through a filter, if you are not using there Breakout Board, Motor wires are A=Red B=Blue C=Black must be wired correct, this is the only wiring you have to do, the rest is just plug in the cables

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    matth

How long have you had your drives, as I have not seen this problem before, it must of been that batch of drives you have

What settings do you have in Mach 3 for motor tuning Velocity Acceleration, If your Velocity is not set correct you will trip the drives with over speed, if you have this set correct you won't get any Drive tripping

If your Ballscrew is 5mm Pitch then the max Velocity setting you can have for the 400w motor is 600
    Drive we're purchase in Feb this year.
    The problem is confirmed to be with the software version that was shipping at that time.

There's nothing wrong with my settings in Mach3.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by matth View Post
    Drive we're purchase in Feb this year.
    The problem is confirmed to be with the software version that was shipping at that time.
    I usually get new Drive changes for testing, they have made so many changes to the Dyn2, I never had any with a software problem,( not saying there was not a problem with your software that was loaded)This can happen when they have made so many changes to the Dyn2 Drive, the Dyna3 Drive, is also getting the same changes, mainly for the new encoder 16Bit & a smaller package, the New Dyna2 Drives are even smaller package now than what you have

One thing with Dmm, they will replace, repair any problems anyone has with there system, even after the warranty has expired, if they know that it is a manufacturing problem/defect

There's nothing wrong with my settings in Mach3.
    I never said there was anything wrong with your settings, I said if you are having to reset the Drives, ( Power off ) then the first place to look is at the Mach3 Velocity setting, is usually set to high, this relates to the max rpm of the motor

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I only have to reset because of the drives starting up with the wrong configuration settings.

Once they are up they run very well am I am more than pleased with the performance.

DMM are sending new drives tomorrow on 24hr delivery, that no small thing between Canada and the UK so that is impressive service.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My replacement Dyn2 drives arrived today, a week after the promised date.

Low and behold, one of the replacement drives is faulty and will not save any settings.

Starting to get a little aggravated with this situation.

Downloads
    Uploads

My replacement Dyn2 drives arrived today, a week after the promised date.

Low and behold, one of the replacement drives is faulty and will not save any setting
    I would think that how ever they were shipped, is up to the how well the shipping system is working, as to how long it takes in transit

I have only seen this same problem when the wiring is incorrect, this will cause the same problem that you are having, motor wiring to the drive is important, also the input power wiring, there is no protection for incorrect wiring

They load the software, it is a very simple process, you can't have one that is good, & the next one is bad, it does not work like that, did you return your other drives, as they will be able, to see what has caused this problem, for sure

Are you using the 48v Drives, when testing or doing any changing of plugs wires Etc make sure the power is off, I will be talking to them today so will ask about your drives

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I would think that how ever they were shipped, is up to the how well the shipping system is working, as to how long it takes in transit

I have only seen this same problem when the wiring is incorrect, this will cause the same problem that you are having, motor wiring to the drive is important, also the input power wiring, there is no protection for incorrect wiring

They load the software, it is a very simple process, you can't have one that is good, & the next one is bad, it does not work like that, did you return your other drives, as they will be able, to see what has caused this problem, for sure

Are you using the 48v Drives, when testing or doing any changing of plugs wires Etc make sure the power is off, I will be talking to them today so will ask about your drives
    Whilst I appreciate that you have good experiences with these products, please don't ignore the facts in this thread.

The drives where shipped 5 days after they where promised to be shipped. I had confirmation upon shipping. Nothing to do with shipping delays otherwise I would not of posted this.

As I have already stated, this is a known problem with the software version, it has nothing to do with my wiring or installation.
    When the settings are correct the drives work well (thus proving the wiring), then they drop settings from the EEPROM, clearly nothing to do with external influences.

3 of the four replacement drives are fine and working without problem.
    1 of the replacement drives is faulty with a completely different problem, again to do with internal settings. It continually resets all it's settings back to 1's, even onpos and gear count. This is not the default values so clearly something is very wrong with this drive.

These replacement drives are reconditioned, which I understand is fairly common with electronic goods but obviously this one has slipped through the testing process.

If you can come up with a way I can change my wiring to get the drive to remember internal setting changes then I'm all ears.

Downloads
    Uploads

Whilst I appreciate that you have good experiences with these products, please don't ignore the facts in this thread.

As I have already stated, this is a known problem with the software version, it has nothing to do with my wiring or installation.
    When the settings are correct the drives work well (thus proving the wiring), then they drop settings from the EEPROM, clearly nothing to do with external influences.

3 of the four replacement drives are fine and working without problem.
    1 of the replacement drives is faulty with a completely different problem, again to do with internal settings. It continually resets all it's settings back to 1's, even onpos and gear count. This is not the default values so clearly something is very wrong with this drive.

These replacement drives are reconditioned, which I understand is fairly common with electronic goods but obviously this one has slipped through the testing process.

If you can come up with a way I can change my wiring to get the drive to remember internal setting changes then I'm all ears.
    I have just call them, & this is not a Known problem, that you are having, I'm not sure who you have been talking to, but that is incorrect, the Drives that you just received were tested, even with running from Mach 3 so they went to more than what they would normally have done, this may be why they took longer to ship

What is your power supply, this is the first thing that needs to be checked , is your DC to the Drives have the correct power filter in place, if not this may be were you problem is, if you are using an unregulated power supply, this to could be enough over voltage at start up to damage the drives, the Negative Positive 48v dc input to the drives is important, not saying you have done this wrong, but this is what will cause the same problem that you are having, you need to send the other drives back, & they will be able to see what has gone wrong

If all you wiring has been checked & is correct, then, your power supply is doing the drives in, I would not run, power on the other Drive until your power supply is checked to be supplying the correct voltage 48Vdc, regulated & filtered the power filter is more important than being regulated, but both if you can do it

The drives you just had replaced, are new not reconditioned, they may look used because of the testing they did before they were shipped

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did not say the fault on the replacement drive is a known problem. The original fault is the known problem (with the software version),

All my original drives where working (apart from randomly forgetting settings), I received four replacements which were swapped out like for like with the first set of drives. Upon power up I connected to each drive in turn with DDMDrv and configured the software settings.
    This worked fine for my A,X and Z drivers but the Y axis driver came up with a completely different set of parameters than all the other drivers.
    The original four drives and the working 3 replacements all come up by default with (off the top of my head) gains of 38,38 and 38 and and Torque, Acceleration and speed settings of 127, 8 and 20 respectively.
    The Y drive came up with all 1's in very box, upon changing these settings and saving the values (then another read) where back to 1's.

All the drives are feed from 3x 400w 48v regulated PSU's tied together into a common 48v rail, this rail then feeds into each drive via a 10,000uf 100v cap (one cap per drive).
    As I have stated, with the old drives when they have remembered their settings everything has been working fine.

I can not believe that upon swapping four replacement drives into place suddenly the wiring is at fault on one drive and is causing it to not accept any software settings (please remember that DMM have admitted that the first fault was an internal known issue and nothing to do with my setup).

I do not find it helpful for DMM to expect me to return the replacement drive, wait for more testing and then wait for it to be returned to me (bearing in mind that I am in the UK and DDM are in Canada that could take a protracted period of time.). All the while my machine is offline.

Now, I will triple check my wiring to this one drive in the morning but as I have said I can't see that anything has changed.

Can I ask Mactec, are you affiliated with DMM?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

FYI, a direct quote from Tianyu Li:

"We are aware of the problem with the servo drives losing memory and is due to a bad software version right around the time you purchased the drives. This issue has been resolved with current software."

Downloads
    Uploads

FYI, a direct quote from Tianyu Li:

"We are aware of the problem with the servo drives losing memory and is due to a bad software version right around the time you purchased the drives. This issue has been resolved with current software."
    I don't know why he would say that, the 48v drive, software has not been changed in the drives that you have,the new drives it has been changed, there must of been some other problem, it was not a software problem

Did you balance each power supply before connecting to the rail that you are using I would like to see a photo's of how you have this wired

I can't ask Tianyu directly what he was meaning, as he is traveling, no matter what the problem, they will make sure it is corrected, then look at what caused this to happen

The Drive that has the fault right now, is fried, somehow the input 48v front end is damaged

I use & install lots of there drives motors, also do 24h cycle testing of there complete system,just trying to create a problem, I manufacture there prototype parts, that are needed, so I know there system very well

I have never seen this happen to any of the hundreds of Drives I have installed, or help install, I think there is a problem with how your input power is setup

Post some photos of the power supplies & wiring to the drives

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a video of the wiring and setup of my drives:

Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings-2014-09-30-09-41-03-jpgDyn2 losing EEPROM settings-2014-09-30-09-41-11-jpgDyn2 losing EEPROM settings-2014-09-30-09-41-15-jpgDyn2 losing EEPROM settings-2014-09-30-09-41-31-jpgDyn2 losing EEPROM settings-2014-09-30-09-41-43-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Right, I'm holding my hands up now!

Mactec, you were correct, it was an issue with power.

The din rail fuse holder for the Y drive was the issue. The contacts that grip one end of the fuse was splayed open and wasn't contacting the fuse, therefore no power to the Y axis.
    I just bent the terminals back together and all is well.

Apologies for all the frustration aimed your way and thank you for your help.

Now, off to apologies to DMM ;-(

Downloads
    Uploads

matth

Nice Job matth, a tidy job but have no EMF protection, just twisting wire pairs is all that is needed to help with EMF, You have done some wiring, I have not seen done before,with there system, whether this is a problem,I don't know, you have the Negative DC going to the AC ground then to the drives

You should have a Buss just the same as you have for the Positive DC feed to the drives, the Negative should be wired the same way, & should not be going anywhere else, just Power Supply to the filter to the Drives

Wiring from the Drive to the Breakout Board,that you are using, this is important as well,as to how you have done this wiring, Because you have not use the Dmm Breakout Board, you don't have a Plug & play system

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

matth

Do not run your machine or Power on until you have changed this Wiring

You need to change the Negative DC wiring, this should not be going to Common Ground as you have it wired, do it the same as you have with the Positive Feed to the Drives, the Switching Power Supplies are Grounded with your AC 3 wire input Positive Negative Ground, this Grounds the Case of the Power Supply, so the system is protected

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bringing all grounds / earths / 0v back to a common point is best practice to avoid ground loops and eddy currents?

My machine has been running quite happily like this for at least 3 weeks.

I will quickly change it over and report the results.

Last edited by matth; 09-30-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast