Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings - Page 5

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings

I changed out all the original drives because DMM told me it was a software problem and sent me 4 replacements!!!!!
    What is so hard to understand about that?

I contacted the company, described a fault and then followed their recommended course of action.

Has anything that has followed proved that the wiring was at fault? No. Could the wiring of been the issue? I suppose, hence why I have changed it!
    The recommendation of only sending back the damaged/faulty drives is what I have been asking DDM for the last week with no reply and is why I have consistently asked about your affiliation. The answer to which you have only just given me (you'd previously stated that you make some prototype parts for DMM and not that you directly represent them).

I'd also like to point out that in the first replies to this thread you stated that you had never seen this issue before yet now you are categorically stating the reason for this fault.

I'm not completely clueless to electronics, yes I did miss the fact that the drives have no isolation and that tying the grounds together could then cause noise and spikes on the drive input wiring.
    But tying signal/earth and chassis grounds together is a common practice to avoid noise issues (granted in this case with non-optoisolated drives it was incorrect).
    However I don't think its far fetched to believe that the consequences to this incorrect grounding would be either killing a drive dead or killing the input pins. And not causing random EEPROM issues.

Whatever you say you cannot deny that I have been told that this is a software issue.
    Could it be the wiring yes. But I do not want to be in this situation again.

I question how you have come to such a categorical decision as to the reason for this fault without ever seeing it before and whilst at the same time dismissing what the manufacturer has already told me?

All that being said I have changed out the faulty drive with the old X axis driver and so far no problem.
    Hopefully I wont have to pull it back out when DMM come back to me.

FYI, I CAN UNDERLINE THINGS TOO!

Downloads
    Uploads

did you ever resolve this problem ?

ive been running my system for 6 months now with a few faults along the way, nothing serious until a week ago

somehow during a cut the machine reset the zero and sent the bit thru the workpiece ... however i think this was a PC/mach issue and not the dyn2 system

BUT , over the past 6 months the machine has lost gear_num quite a few times on the one X axis and on the other X axis the gain drops from 78 to 1 , this is extremely annoying as it screwing my machine up because it racks the gantry , and because i have to reset it (the cable is in an awkward position)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bl@ckrat View Post
    did you ever resolve this problem ?

ive been running my system for 6 months now with a few faults along the way, nothing serious until a week ago
    Yes he did,it was a wiring problem that he had

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

any idea why mine is loosing eeprom settings ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Would have to know how everything has been wired, this would be the starting point,I can remember you had some wiring problems, when you were first setting up your system, you could have some damage from then

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

thats was from the dyn3 kit ... i sent all the drivers back as they all blew up and they were all 'upgraded' to stand 230v

i am yet to test them

the only thing that i think could be a problem noise wise is that the VFD is about 30-40mm away from the BOB and the drives ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Bl@ckrat

Yes that would do it, if you have a small TV put it near where the VFD is, if you have noise you will see line on the screen,it will wipe out any picture as well, you don't really want the Bob & drives that close to a VFD, you want it as far away as possible, do you have twisted/shielded wires, good Grounds are needed to

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We had the same problem - one Dyn2 was loosing settings quite often ( like 1 of 10 power cycles)... Temporary solution was to check settings after every power on cycle...Pretty annoying. But, after another drive lost its setting, that wasn't enough. Every drive was powered from separate switching 48V PSU through 3x4700 capacitors. The idea was, that Dyn2 looses settings, when supply voltage after power off falls slow (IIRC with those capacitors it took more than half a minute to fall below 3V). So we introduced relay for each drive, that cuts power line between capacitor and Dyn2 drive. Relays are powered from separate PSU (12V 1A in our case, also used to power cooling fans). After almost one year none drive lost its setting. So, I think, there is some firmware/ hardware flaw in these drives, but there's workaround.

Downloads
    Uploads

this sounds like the solution i need ....

tomas , would you mind drawing a simple schematic how you wired the caps in please ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is very crude hand drawing.
    Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings-power_schematics-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes he did,it was a wiring problem that he had

Far be it for me to disagreed with Mactec but no I never resolved this and all the emails I sent to DMM went ignored.
    All the kit is sat in a box somewhere as I replaced it all with Leadshine EL5 drives and motors and never had a single issue with them.

Very interesting to see since that two other people have had the same issue.

Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings-image-jpg

Well done for solving it Thomas, maybe I'll reuse mine in a non-critical solution.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by matth View Post
    Well done for solving it Thomas, maybe I'll reuse mine in a non-critical solution.
    You already had this in your system,!!! this did not solve anything, a cap/filter between the drive & the power supply is the normal way it should of been wired/done, they added a relay,to disable the drives, this is not needed if you have a charge pump configured in your system, you never mentioned that you were still having problems, if you had of wired your system correctly you would of never had any problems

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You are so full of BS mate. Keep your biased opinion to yourself as clearly your stupid repetitive posts are not helping anyone.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are so full of BS mate. Keep your biased opinion to yourself as clearly your stupid repetitive posts are not helping anyone.
    Back to your old self, you don't like being told the truth, that you smoked your drives,because you wired them incorrectly, everyone can see that you have an attitude problem, this may be the reasons you never received any more help

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lol, the drives still work. They show the same symptoms as the two people above. Tomas' fix seems like a solution.
    A solution to a problem that is not documented by DMM or suggested in any of your "that will be the reason" guesses.

As per post 87 "noise from a VFD" causing Settings loss. Give over, what a load of s**t.

If the drives documentation says "make sure the power rail is disconnected at power off" then you can blame people's wiring.
    BUT IT DOESNT. Therefore people using a standard wiring scheme are in the right and a problem with the drives is being highlighted.

You are somehow affiliated with DMM. Blaming people instead of working with people to find a solution is NOT GOOD SERVICE.

None of your BS posts add up to being as useful as Tomas' above.

Now stop showing yourself up and stop posting in this thread.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lol, the drives still work. They show the same symptoms as the two people above. Tomas' fix seems like a solution.
    A solution to a problem that is not documented by DMM or suggested in any of your "that will be the reason" guesses.
    You need to check you photos, you already had the Caps installed, Note the Dmm Breakout Board has the Built in Power Filter, Tomas added the Cap which he needed, plus the Relay, which is not needed

As per post 87 "noise from a VFD" causing Settings loss. Give over, what a load of s**t.
    I think you should learn how to read, it was Bl@ckrat that said he may have a noise problem, & has the Breakout Board to close to the VFD!!!!

If the drives documentation says "make sure the power rail is disconnected at power off" then you can blame people's wiring.
    BUT IT DOESNT. Therefore people using a standard wiring scheme are in the right and a problem with the drives is being highlighted.
    You still can't accept the fact the you did a really bad job of your wiring, the power rail does not need to be disconnected, at this point, ( Read Below )

This does nothing, just normal turn off at the power supply is all that is needed, even with the power rail being turned off, the Drive still retains power, a cap inside retains power to the Drives brain from 20 minutes to 30 minutes, this is what keeps the Absolute Encoder powered for this time of a power cut, when using Absolute Encoders they either have a Battery Backup for the Drive Brain or a short term Cap that keeps the Brain alive, so turning off the power were Tomas did will do nothing, the Brain is still powered

So with all your quotes, you are making yourself look even more foolish than ever

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings-matth-cap-install-jpg   Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings-dmb2450-8b_main-jpg  
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas_J View Post
    We had the same problem - one Dyn2 was loosing settings quite often ( like 1 of 10 power cycles)... Temporary solution was to check settings after every power on cycle...Pretty annoying. But, after another drive lost its setting, that wasn't enough. Every drive was powered from separate switching 48V PSU through 3x4700 capacitors. The idea was, that Dyn2 looses settings, when supply voltage after power off falls slow (IIRC with those capacitors it took more than half a minute to fall below 3V). So we introduced relay for each drive, that cuts power line between capacitor and Dyn2 drive. Relays are powered from separate PSU (12V 1A in our case, also used to power cooling fans). After almost one year none drive lost its setting. So, I think, there is some firmware/ hardware flaw in these drives, but there's workaround.
    As per above!

Downloads
    Uploads

matth

There is more than 20,000 of this model Drive, the same as your set installed,I would hate to think the logistics if they all had that same problem, because of how the power rail was switched, there is nothing unusual with how & where Tomas wired his relay, in fact this is the correct place to put it for a safety circuit, & is were most OEMs would put a Relay, is it needed for a Hobby machine to have reliability No, if you want to have a safety circuit where you can cut the power to the motors instantly, then this is where you would put it, when I build a Yaskawa system they are switched with solid state relays at this point, this is normal practice

Just with the small portion of your system wiring in the above photo, it speaks for itself, of how it should not be done

Photo of industry standard wiring & switching for AC Servo Drives

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dyn2 losing EEPROM settings-standard-wiring-servo-drives-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

My system still looses eeprom or drive settings

It's not noise as I have moved the VFD , it's something to do with switching the machine on and off. It has never lost settings while running.

The annoying thing Is you don't always pick up that the settings are lost, I cut a Corian mould last week only to find that the two halves didn't fit , after going over the cad cam again an again I figured it must be something with the machine ... Gearnum had changed from 1000 to 1048 not a huge change , but enough to scrap the part

Joy

Downloads
    Uploads

My system still looses eeprom or drive settings

It's not noise as I have moved the VFD , it's something to do with switching the machine on and off. It has never lost settings while running.

The annoying thing Is you don't always pick up that the settings are lost, I cut a Corian mould last week only to find that the two halves didn't fit , after going over the cad cam again an again I figured it must be something with the machine ... Gearnum had changed from 1000 to 1048 not a huge change , but enough to scrap the part

Joy
    You gear # needs to be set at 500 not 1000, your steps/per will change when you use this number, 500 this is the best number to use for step/dir, if using analog +/- 10v then you can take advantage of the gearing

If you think it is a switching problem then you should use a solid state relay, between the Drives and the power supply, to turn the power off as per the above schematic, this is how servo drives are normally wired, it should not be needed,but something must be happening to cause this, there may be a spike/or something happening when the power is turned off, that the Drive Brain does not like, it is very strange,that I have never had this, and I use a lot of these drives, the power here is only 120v ac, not sure that this would make any difference to your 220v ac supply Matth also was using 220v supply

Mactec54

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast