The Thompson bearings where picked up on ebay some years ago and just never got round to using them until now. One of the major problems was sourcing suitable pillow blocks for these bearings. In the end I decided to make them my self.
I built a small furnace out of a beer keg and began yet another "hobby", its funny how these things snowball. The first picture shows the sand cores I made to give me a start hole in the pillow block.
Picture 2 shows my furnace with 2 failed pillow blocks ( wet sand ) pre heating with the steel mould on top.
Pics 3 and 4 show the aluminium "loaf" after pouring, 5 and 6 show the machining process and the final picture shows the final "carpet" of chips after machining.
I have "NO" machining skills or experience what so ever but love the learing process involved with all of this and am beside my self with joy when something actually works !!!
Any comments or advice etc would be really really welcome!!!!