Questions -- Small CNC Router with VERY SMALL Work Area, Ideas?

Thread: Questions -- Small CNC Router with VERY SMALL Work Area, Ideas?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Questions -- Small CNC Router with VERY SMALL Work Area, Ideas?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to build a small cnc router to rout lightweight material, mostly wood relief and cutting some light inlay materials.

The work area will mostly be 2"x2" or so but possibly up to 4"x4". The accuracy and tolerances aren't that strict, a hundredth of a inch in a 2x2 would be acceptable, but more accurate is better of course.

I've looked around and have done a lot of reading. It seems there's not much about DIY in very small machines. Would a larger machine 12"x12" be able to do this smaller work as effectively?

I have a machining background, and have done a lot of work with Bridgeport mills, Southbend lathes, etc. I currently have a good lathe, but lack a good mill.

Thanks for any help you can share.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Building View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking to build a small cnc router to rout lightweight material, mostly wood relief and cutting some light inlay materials.

The work area will mostly be 2"x2" or so but possibly up to 4"x4". The accuracy and tolerances aren't that strict, a hundredth of a inch in a 2x2 would be acceptable, but more accurate is better of course.

I've looked around and have done a lot of reading. It seems there's not much about DIY in very small machines. Would a larger machine 12"x12" be able to do this smaller work as effectively?

I have a machining background, and have done a lot of work with Bridgeport mills, Southbend lathes, etc. I currently have a good lathe, but lack a good mill.

Thanks for any help you can share.
    A lot of machines I see with small work envelopes have moving tables. With the right components, and you have the right tools to make them, you should get very good accuracy, way more than .01! Look at some of the moving table builds here, like RomanLini's, PEU's, DonFrambach's, etc... FreshMint is making one now that looks good as well. Check out MicroCarve's machines as well...

I think you might want to consider a larger working area; why limit yourself to such a small envelope?

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a tiny mill: Building a Low-Cost Micro-Milling Machine « « CNCCookbook CNC Blog CNCCookbook CNC Blog

They achieved 0.00012" accuracy with similar construction techniques to what lots of people use here.

CNC mill build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lathe_project_log/110305-gantry_mill.html

Downloads
    Uploads

As louieatienza has already stated go take a look at microcarve. His offering is an incredible value. It'll cut aluminum easily and has good accuracy.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the good ideas.

Reading and researching options seems somewhat overwhelming; so many variables and possibilities for a good or bad machine.

Since the work this machine will do will always be one-off items, 4"x4" or smaller, I didn't see a need for a larger machine, but I guess for building purposes it would be better to use more standard lead screw, etc parts.

I was thinking of a fixed gantry Solsylva. Does anyone have good experience with it? I have the plans for the JGRO movable gantry, but it seems like overkill for what this will be used for.

I have aluminum, mdf, steel on hand, and MACH3 and Rhino software.

I've seen some electronic kits with NEMA23 steppers, controllers, and powersupply, that look like they have everything I would need on the electronic side. Any ideas in their selection? Would NEMA23 be fine to use with a small 12"x12" system?

Thanks for any help you can share. I enjoy this research and new thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Reading and researching options seems somewhat overwhelming; so many variables and possibilities for a good or bad machine.

Since the work this machine will do will always be one-off items, 4"x4" or smaller, I didn't see a need for a larger machine, but I guess for building purposes it would be better to use more standard lead screw, etc parts.

I was thinking of a fixed gantry Solsylva. Does anyone have good experience with it? I have the plans for the JGRO movable gantry, but it seems like overkill for what this will be used for.

I've seen some electronic kits with NEMA23 steppers, controllers, and powersupply, that look like they have everything I would need on the electronic side. Any ideas in their selection? Would NEMA23 be fine to use with a small 12"x12" system?

There are a few builds here of the solsylva 10 x 9 machine. You could probably build it in a weekend, and the parts are mainly cross-cut from stock. I'm sure you could make some parts metal to add ridgidity and mass. Since you're cutting small stuff, you may not neet a lot of speed, and could use single-start ACME screws.

The more popular kits are from xylotex and hobbycnc. CNC Router parts also sells a Gecko540 kit as well. xylotex is as plug and play as it comes. hobbycnc will require some soldering/assembly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Given your work envelope, why don't you get a small mill instead? A Taig CNC mill has a 10,000 rpm spindle and will give you a lot more flexibility than most routers. It is easy enough to adapt a higher speed spindle should you need one.

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the mill idea is a good/great option if you are sure you will not need more than 4" by 4" of cutting area. I think cost is the factor.

JGRO is a starters system to get you in the door. The only reason I'm building one is so I can make parts for a better system. As I get further and further with the build I become more aware of it's inadequacies and there are many. For hobby purposes it's good. Cheap, can be constructed with hand tools, most of the build materials can be bought from a local hardware store.

Any idea of your budget?

Nema 23 is a motor frame size. Not a power. There are steppers from 70 oz/in (or smaller) to well over 600 in nema 23. Your design will determine speed and practical holding and moving force. Its my understanding that a stepper moving closer to its slowest stable speed will have a lot more force while moving than one turning near its fastest speed. That being said, there are a lot of pulley driven screws on much larger machines running satisfactorily with 280 oz/in nema 23 steppers.

I have two machines running Gecko G540 controls and 382 ounce steppers that I am quite happy with for the cost. You might check cncrouterparts for similar package.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd like to spend under $1k, and since I have everything I need for the framework is it possible? I have a couple different routers and dremel, also have a large assortment of brackets, bolts, and misc machine parts. Seems I'll need slides, linear bearings, feed screws, motors and electronics.

I was reading about someone's homebrew machine that was made of 2x4 and all hardware store parts that was keeping decent tolerances, well under .010. He had under $300 in it.

I'd prefer to spend time and build a strong rigid frame and slides, and have decent feed screws and motors. I'll do some more reading.

Thanks for the good ideas and please share if you have others.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It has been suggested on this thread previously that you look at the Microcarve systems. He has a unit you can purchase or if you are more interested in a DIY approach, he has published plans for building is MV3 unit. Microcarve has developed a small CNC system over time that has been optimized for rigidity, cost, speed and simplicity. You can buy one of his systems (buying) everything within your budget, or save a few dollars building your own.

I can almost guarantee you will spend a lot of time debugging a system you design yourself, or adjusting one you build from someone else's plans.

Below are links to 2 threads here on CNCZone about the Microcarve systems. First is a thread about his units he develops and have for sale.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...p_machine.html
    Second is a thread showing plans for the DIY version.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ans_files.html

Good luck no matter which direction you take.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I say go for the microcarve, i finished mine about a week ago, small cut area and very solid. The parts for it were easy to make. You can purchase a complete Z axis or parts from microcarve if you need to as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think - if you are willing to go for approved stuff - Ball guided rails and ballthreads fulfilling the tolerances you need ( eg. IT 5 which is acumulated thrad and nut tolerance of about 22 microns per 300 mm length even a larger mill would fulfill this spec... e.g. My one is 800 x 400 x 100 mm and I manufactured this ... of course the cost thing is an issue..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions -- Small CNC Router with VERY SMALL Work Area, Ideas?-cardraniiiic-jpg   Questions -- Small CNC Router with VERY SMALL Work Area, Ideas?-playcadranb-jpg   Questions -- Small CNC Router with VERY SMALL Work Area, Ideas?-cardran5b-jpg   Questions -- Small CNC Router with VERY SMALL Work Area, Ideas?-zeigerspiel-jpg  

Why reach for speed, when you could have precision instead!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    I think the mill idea is a good/great option if you are sure you will not need more than 4" by 4" of cutting area. I think cost is the factor.
    The basic Taig is under a grand, but add motors, controller, and even a cheap computer and you are up to two. I have mounts for high speed routers on mine. But envelope is better than you think at 12+ by 5+ by 6. Give or take. Add a spacer on the Y and I work on 12 by 6 parts regularly.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    The basic Taig is under a grand, but add motors, controller, and even a cheap computer and you are up to two. I have mounts for high speed routers on mine. But envelope is better than you think at 12+ by 5+ by 6. Give or take. Add a spacer on the Y and I work on 12 by 6 parts regularly.
    Yes. Mills mini or otherwise should have a greater cutting area than 4x4. There's a local store in my city that has a mini for $400 but I have my doubts on it's accuracy. A mill and a lathe would nice options to any setup.

The more I think about it the more I'm sure microcarve is the way to go. Optimized dimensions, sturdy, accurate, cost effective, and made by a guy who cares. He even offers advice and plans to build your own not that I think you could make one much cheaper.

Downloads
    Uploads

Easiest description regarding accuracy ... you will get for what you pay for ... precision is rather the same priority when it comes to cost as size ( sometimes even more!!!)

Why reach for speed, when you could have precision instead!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a thread about my experiences with the Microcarve MV3.

Comparison - Microcarve MV3 and Probotix Fireball V90 - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Strongly recommended, as long as it suits the nature of work you want to do.

WARNING: I am not responsible for links in my posts unless I specifically refer to that link. CNCZone is modifying posts. Click these links at your own risk.