Controlling Speed of Bosch 1617 via CNC

Thread: Controlling Speed of Bosch 1617 via CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Controlling Speed of Bosch 1617 via CNC

I have a Bosch 1617 spindle that I will be using for my new router, a Blurry Custom's that I just ordered with a g540 electronics setup, and I remember reading somewhere about controlling the speed remotely with Mach 3. I searched for a whie and haven't come up with it so any help would be great.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Harborfreight has them:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43060
    But as you turn the speed down you also loose power, I have a Milwaukee and it is the most quiet one out there at the time I bought it. It has different speeds on it with a feed back system on it so that it maintains the set speed

Downloads
    Uploads

I think this is what I was talking about. It is used in conjunction with the controller on your link. Thanks for the reply.

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...roducts_id=179

Last edited by n1k86; 03-20-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by n1k86 View Post
    I have a Bosch 1617 spindle that I will be using for my new router, a Blurry Custom's that I just ordered with a g540 electronics setup, and I remember reading somewhere about controlling the speed remotely with Mach 3. I searched for a whie and haven't come up with it so any help would be great.
    Those machines look nice. I reverse engineered their design by looking at it and have built my own at about 1/3 their cost. I even found the same places they buy all their stuff from. Either way nice machine man.

Downloads
    Uploads

I purchased the C29 from cnc4pc.com. I tested the unit with a pot and my Porter Cable router, it works fine. I have yet to hook it up to Mach3 and let it control the spindle speed but it is on the todo list along with a pile of other things.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some of the Bosch routers (like the Colt, for sure) have a "slow start" feature that ramps the speed up when starting - if this is so, an external speed control unit (like the one referenced earlier from HF) won't work. They can also often have as an option, a speed control on the router, which also prevents external speed controllers from working.

Downloads
    Uploads

The 1617 does in fact have a soft start feature. I have one for my machine and I used it a bit on another project already. It was one of the reasons I chose it anyways. I did not want a router without this feature because the torque generated on start up is enough possibly jerk the machine out of alignment. I have a milwaukee that does this that I just use as a hand tool I make sure I turn it on before it touches any surface just in case it jerks and bites in unexpectedly.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can positively tell you that I own a HF speed controller, and a Bosch Colt with the slow start feature, and the HF speed controller does not work with the Colt.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know some of our customer use the Super-PID (Link) for control in Mach on the Bosch routers.

[edit] Sorry had 2 sets of threads open blurry search and current. Didn't realize I posted to a old one.

John Torrez
    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits