Chronicle of a Geek! (Part 2 A new dawn)

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chronicle of a Geek! (Part 2 A new dawn)

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Chronicle of a Geek! (Part 2 A new dawn)

Ok I’m kicking off plans to build my second router. My first was a jgro, witch is still in operation but I long for something that’s just a little more, you know a little bigger a little faster… (I have been told it’s a sickness) Will it ever end?

I’m not ready to give up the space it would take for a 4’x 4’ machine so I plan to build one that will handle 2’x 4’ maybe a bit more. I know there are some good designs out there like the Joe 2006 and the Lion Claw LC50 and I will be pulling together ideas from all over the Zone as well as the Net in general with a few of my own ideas mixed in (whether original or not) I am open to suggestions, not trying to reinvent the wheel here just build a sturdy machine.

The Pic below is the project I am currently working on.

RobWms

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by voltsandbolts; 01-21-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Downloads
    Uploads

This will be a thread not to miss.
    Looking forward to the upcoming posts

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks denz, Me too!

I will try to keep you updated, but sometimes the rest of my life gets in the way of my fun. I will try to post a few more views of what I have come up with so far.

RobWms

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, a look at how I may do the steppers on the main axis. I am also thinking of a single motor in the middle with a belt drive out to the lead screws.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chronicle of a Geek!  (Part 2 A new dawn)-4295398726_c18e5e0a05-jpg  
    Last edited by cncadmin; 02-26-2014 at 08:55 PM.
    Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the base plate going to stay a single plate or are you going to add a torsion box ?
    I love those V groove bearings but they are just so BLEEP expensive :P

Downloads
    Uploads

This is just a concept at this point. Yes a T-Box or some other support (metal frame) will be needed to prevent sagging of the MDF. The best price I’ve seen on the V-bearings is about $10 each. I am working on a cheaper solution though…

Rob Wms.

Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

Now I'm curious

I've just ordered 40 bearings to create the linear guides like from buildyourcnc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

40 of them $$$ Ouch! That site is very inspirational!

I am trying to keep my design easy to build with all of the more complex shapes sized to fit on my JGRO. I love the V-bearings but need a source in the $4 or less per unit to be practical. I bought 100 skate bearings when I built the JGRO so I’ll probably find a way to use them.

Last edited by voltsandbolts; 01-23-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

40 V bearings ? I WISH

they are just to expensive. I meant 40 * 608ZZ simple bearings.
    This is the style I am going to build :

I've seen one alternative to V bearings by just bolting together 2 normal bearings. But the axial loads would be high and the created slot very shallow.

Therefore I've opted for the methode in the picture. More work while building but cheaper in materials. Also the possible issues finding a replacement bearing when a V bearing fails made me go for the simple bearings.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chronicle of a Geek!  (Part 2 A new dawn)-dsc08173-jpg  
    Last edited by cncadmin; 02-26-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey they work and there fiscally responsible too!

Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey they work and there fiscally responsible too!

Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

I see a lot of guys are using Vcarve Pro, it looks like an awesome package and I would love to have it… maybe some day. I have been using ACE converter (It makes notoriously inefficient code) and some hand coding but finally sprang for something that will let me design and cut without having to deal with the coding too much. I picked up a copy of Cut2D It looks like it will fill my needs for now, and besides the Boss (Wife) said that’s all I could afford.

RobWms

Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

Been looking into a way to use some of the skate bearings I have amassed. This is one idea.

RobWms

Gantry side R2 Mod1 2a

Zoom...

Gantry side R2 Mod1 2

Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks like it could work! You have both axes adjustable, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. 8 standard bearings will cost a lot less than 4 v-groove bearings

Downloads
    Uploads

Default tensioners?

Adding tensioners into the sliding elements would make adjustments more secure (much like Ahren's metal carriages). For the vertical slots in the MDF, you could mount a cross dowel in the slot, then thread a rod up from the bottom of the gantry side, through the cross dowel, then on to press the 5/16" axle upwards against the rail material (CR steel plate?). Some kind of inside radius half-round to press against the axle would be best. For the vertical axes it is tougher to arrange and access the tightener, but it could probably be done.

It would be much easier to adjust the vertical axes rollers if the fixed roller was on the inside of the gantry, and the tension was applied to the roller riding on the outside face. Then the same cross-dowel trick would work.

Cheers!

Last edited by PaulRowntree; 02-01-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: just came up with idea in second para

Downloads
    Uploads

Paul

These models are just conceptual at this point, There are a lot of things I have thought of and haven’t taken the time to detail in the model, and a lot of things I haven’t though of. I agree on the use of a tensioning device. I was going to just drill through the end of the slot and slip a nut into the slot. Cheap and easy.

Yes, it should run ok on a piece of CRS plate or on two opposing pieces of angle as shown in my first post.

Thanks for the comments, I am open to suggestions.

RobWms

Last edited by voltsandbolts; 02-02-2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

Wouldn't the design allow the gantry bottom to be pushed away from the base ? I think you would need to connect the sides of the gantry below the base to keep the sides tight to the base.

I'm going for this design :

This locks the gantry side and doesn't allow it to move up,down left or right.. just back and forward. This also prevents the gantry from skewing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chronicle of a Geek!  (Part 2 A new dawn)-angle2-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Dose this give you a little better idea of what I'm going for? I know I don't have everything lined up in this example ... but I will.

Sk8 Bering Gantry test 1

Sk8 Bering Gantry test 1a

Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh.. okay. I misunderstood. Looks like it is going to work

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are you using for the rails?

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast