New Machine Build 8020 mill... long winded post, 56K killer. - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8020 mill... long winded post, 56K killer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Some more updates...

My wife and I purchased a new home and I've started a new job, so I've not had much time for the mill until recently.

The house we purchased had an old wooden swing set in the yard that I've taken apart and used the "free wood" to build a bench for the CNC mill to get it off the ground:

The ply wood was scrap wood from an automotive lift I purchased.

Cross braced on 3 sides of it and it is very solid feeling, no flex.

The back side of the Xs have simple brackets to keep them together. I've spent maybe $45-ish total on the bench, the caster wheels being the most expensive items.

To get the mill onto the bench, I used my lift to raise it and then just slide it onto the bench:

In case the mill ever vibrates and shuffles around on the bench, I put these little metal brackets around the feet:

My wife found those in the electrical department at Home Depot and they were under $2 a pop.

Time to start nailing down the cables and wiring for this project:

Using self tapping screws, something I originally didn't want to do for no real reason, but it was easier to do and I'm happy with the results.

I scored some free cable carriers a while back, they came from sliding doors off of mini vans.. the coolest part of the mini van is now on my mill. Just used a few screws to keep them in place.

The cable for the Y and Z axis run together and will just fit side by side in the cable carriers. I took one end of the cable carrier and cut the underside of it to get a flat surface:

Ran 2 screws though it to mount it to the bottom side of the gantry and fitted the 2 cables into it. I then snapped the rest of the cable carrier onto that end piece and carefully stuffed the wires into it.

Side by side the wires fit, there is room for me to run wires for the micro switches I'll be adding.

My original plan was to have the CNC mill and computer all on the bench but decided against it. I'm going to put the computer on a hand truck and keep it away from the mill since I'm sure dust is going to be an issue in the long run.

Will update again when there is something to update about.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking great man! I wish I would take the time to organize my wires - it's one of those tedious chores that I just can't get around to

looks good!

Downloads
    Uploads

The hand truck is an interesting idea for mounting the computer. Just make sure it's balanced so it doesn't tip over!

Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 8020 deflection uing the round bar

The round bar is a cool trick. What I am wondering is deflection on the x and y axis. When you use CNCROUTERPARTS trucks they use a 1/4" plate this has dual pourposes is that it supplies the linear rail and it stiffens the 8020 from deflecting with the weight of the components. I the X axis this should not be a problem. did you run the 8020 deflection calculator to see if deflection is an issue? It is a free download on their site.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got enuff stuff done to make an update...

The computer cart turned out great:

I can open the side up and dust out as needed without issue. To keep the computer in place, just some cheap brackets and self drilling screws:

In keeping with the cheap theme, used electrical tape to bundle up the cables:

I wanted a metal box to put the G540 in but also something I could open up to clean out and gain access to quickly. And I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Problem solved:

One of the issues I had with the G540 was heat, I had to have 2 fans blowing directly on it all the time. I didn't have the room in the metal cash box to do it up the way I wanted, so a piece of scrap aluminum was milled into a heat sink:

The heat sink didn't sit flush on the bottom of the G540 so I used a bastard to file down some raised spots:

Freak show toe cat inspecting the heat sink:

Back to the cash box. Made some holes in it:

The 4 holes in the bottom of the cash box are for mounting screws for the power supply. Mounting some tabs so the box can be attached to the wooden bench:

The inside of the cash box now, the 2 fans will push/pull air across the heat sink. I used heat sink paste to help with the heat transfer. There is a wire that is fitted to the 2 long screws that holds the heat sink against the G540. The Toshiba power supply is for the 2 fans:

The G540 sitting in it's new home. With the hinge on top, the cash box door stays closed but can be opened up to clean out or do wiring as needed:

I also scored some free micro switches for the CNC mill from my friend. He pulled about 20 of them off some sort of industrial machine years ago and tossed them in a box. A little tapping and drilling to mount them up and I've gone the extra step of routing the wiring though the 80/20 tubing for neatness. Here are the X axis:

Cheap speaker wire used. It is routed along with the X and Z stepper motor cables. And here are the switches for the Y axis:

Note that you can just see some adhesive lined heat shrink tubing on the wire where it goes into the CNC mill, I did this to protect the wire. I taped some sewing thread onto the end of the wire and then fed the wire though the tube. I made a simple tiny hook tool with some "mechanic's wire" and fished the thread out, and pulled the wire on though.

The "project" is almost done on one hand.. but I'm already wanting to upgrade the X and Y linear bearings. The "Butcher Boy" bearing work, but I think they create wobble as the gantry moves down. I have a couple of projects in mind that I want to make so I'm excited that warm weather is here so I can push the mill outside and make as much dust and I want... let the wind blow it int the woods.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got some more crash coarse schooling on EMC2. It works, but for a newbie, it has a bit of a rough learning curve.

Make some templates that will hopefully be used to help make some custom inlay counter tops at a bar, shaky video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4kEq4C1R0E]CNC mill project - YouTube

I'm very happy with how they turned out.

For those who are building a mill and feel like you are getting in over you head at times.... keep at it, it is well worth it. I've got so much $$ sunk into this "hobby"... cheaper than golf I guess and I don't have to wear silly pants.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i dont understand how install iron mill ( rail ) on the sigma profiles?
    please explain or draw... thank you....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The round rods are not really secured to the T-slot. When the gantry is at one end of the mill, the round rod sags down some at the other end. The "V groove" bearings are clamping onto the round rod and that alone keeps them in place.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi everyone,
    Great thread and appreciate all the work everyone has put into this. I'm just starting out and was wondering if there is any downloadable plans and BOM so that I don't try re-inventing the wheel. 80/20 is great stuff, I've used it on a couple of work projects.

thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smores View Post
    hi everyone,
    Great thread and appreciate all the work everyone has put into this. I'm just starting out and was wondering if there is any downloadable plans and BOM so that I don't try re-inventing the wheel. 80/20 is great stuff, I've used it on a couple of work projects.

thanks again.

Downloadable I'm not too sure about. I believe 80/20 at one time sold kits of material for one design. That kit could have been a return as it was on their eBay store.

As for 80/20 being great stuff, it certainly has its place but the stuff isn't cheap at all. I also have reservation about using 80/20 in certain situations. However the EBay store does have some bargains right now that are ideal router parts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123