My linear bearing idea in the flesh!!!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My linear bearing idea in the flesh!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pencilneck View Post
    I'm wanting to be able to fine tune the adjustments of the bearings so the gantry can be dialed in to be level and squared with the base. After scribbling in my note pad for a couple of minutes, I think what you mention would work.

Drill the holes in the 1" square stock pieces, drop long bolts with a nylon insert nut. Loosen the lower bearings and pull them down as far as they will go, then tighten them back up. Loosen the upper bearings and then start to tighten the long bolts and dial in the gantry, then tighten the upper bearings locking them into place. Loosen lower bearings again and start to tighten the the long bolts until the lower bearings are snug so that there is no free play, tighten the lower bearings down.

I'm going to run with that first, 4 long bolts should still keep that cost under $3. Will be a few days before I can do this.... will post updates once completed.

Thanks for the input.
    Exactly! The key is to keep the top bearings fixed and use the lower bearings for adjustment.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just wanted to know if there is any updates?

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    Just wanted to know if there is any updates?

Mike
    Why just last night....

The gantry is still apart from the base. With some luck, I'll have both the X and Y axis installed and dialed in soon. When I do, I'll be starting a "new build" thread with all details (up to that point).

Later.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks really good!

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah man, you should keep this thread going. There's a lot of good information in it. If you do start a new one I hope you can move all your build info and pictures till this point to it. When I first came here, reading good build threads from start to end taught me a lot. I'm no fool though, there's still a lot more to learn.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

just wondering, what's keeping the bearing and the butcher boy rollers together? Is it just friction? I'd like to use these for my next build, but wouldn't a strong tug pull it apart?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Jack

Mine are pressed together using a vise - I'd have to use a hammer to get them out

although I did have some Butcher Boys that were too big and the bearing did fall out - I tossed those... I'd say 75% of the butcher boy bearings I bought were the right size

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a couple of looser fitting bearings as well, but with everything bolted together, the gantry and round rod kind of keeps everything in place so it wasn't a big deal.

I wonder what those "buthcher boy bearings" are made for in the first place.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Keep an eye on those 'loose' ones - I did the same thing (thought that they would be OK) but found them to be a source of "flex" when milling some aluminum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12