Yet another MDF machine

Thread: Yet another MDF machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Yet another MDF machine

Not really a "build thread", as it's been up and running for several months now...
    A fairly conventional skate-bearing, cross-dowel-construction, MDF machine:
    32"x17"x5" travel
    PC890 router
    Dual X drive
    G540/Smoothstepper
    The only unconventional aspect of it is in its fabrication: almost all of the dimension-critical bits were laser-cut from 6mm MDF and laminated up to 18mm. This was mostly due to the fact that my 25W laser won't cut MDF (or much of anything else) thicker than about 1/4", not to mention that lasers in general suck at pocketing operations. Doing it as a "sandwich" allowed me to cut countersinks as through-holes in the outer layer. As a side effect, it eliminated the trickiest bit of using cross-dowels, since the cross-bolt holes could simply be cut as slots in the middle layer rather than having to drill holes edgewise through 18mm stock.
    (The gantry sides and backbrace were made from 18mm MDF, using a laser-cut template to drill the holes and trim the edges.)
    Yet another MDF machine-img_0568-jpgYet another MDF machine-img_0569-jpgYet another MDF machine-img_0573-jpgYet another MDF machine-img_0577-jpgYet another MDF machine-img_0571-jpg