3dprintforums logo

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New buildyourcnc.com cnc any good?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

New buildyourcnc.com cnc any good?

I would like to build a CNC machine myself but don't have the tools to do a competent job and would like to have one up and running rather quickly. I see Patrick over at www.buildyourcnc.com has a new 4x8 machine design that uses roller chains instead of lead screws. Is this guy crazy, or is he on to something? I can't imagine a roller chain could be at all comparable to a highly precise lead screw when moving on the X any Y axis like his machine does (his uses a lead screw for the Z). It looks like the chain will be pushing up on the stepper motor the whole time and wouldn't you think it would lose tension after time? I remember his last machine with the 4x8 option was around $2400. Now he wants almost $3000 for one that uses a bike chain?

If anyone can recommend a different "kit" CNC that has a 4x8 routable area (I may consider a 2x4 or 4x4) then please speak up.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're going to spend $3K, spend a bit more and build an all steel Mechmate. www.mechmate.com

If you're on a budget, look at Joe's 4x4 Hybrid. www.joescnc.com

Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://home.comcast.net/~cncwoodworker/2010.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi, this is my first post here, so please forgive me if I do something wrong. I don't know about the new machine, but the old one was horrible. I bought one and it sucks bigtime. The parts were not machined well, there are parts that weren't designed properly and didn't even fit together at all without modification. Even the motor mounts were ill-conceived. I am now building a new machine of my own design the way I should have to begin with. I did learn some things about CNC routers along the way, but I feel it was a very expensive lesson. I hope this helps...

Last edited by BuckNaked31; 08-08-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: capitalization

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How much would a Joe's Hybrid 4x4 cost to construct with the metal frame, on average? I literally have about 5 minutes a day to use the computer with family visiting and working so I don't have time right now to research it. I will in a few days. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckNaked31 View Post
    Hi, this is my first post here, so please forgive me if I do something wrong. I don't know about the new machine, but the old one was horrible. I bought one and it sucks bigtime. The parts were not machined well, there are parts that weren't designed properly and didn't even fit together at all without modification. Even the motor mounts were ill-conceived. I am now building a new machine of my own design the way I should have to begin with. I did learn some things about CNC routers along the way, but I feel it was a very expensive lesson. I hope this helps...
    Wow, thanks for that input. Which version did you purchase and which cutting size? Did Patrick give you a refund of any sort?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    unfortunately not being a mechanical engineering student but an ME who is involved with R&d at a well know s cal aerospace facility i might have not the comprehensive data that you brought to the study. where did you find your metric data? i would love to see stress gauge data as well as actual deflection data and loads on this machine during nominal operation, granted the machine in question is suboptimal in many respects, however it does seem to fill the needs of a group of users whose needs are within the work envelope of this machine. in spite of it's shortcomings it does do what it is supposed to do. On a different topic it may have been a while since my undergraduate studies, what basic laws of mechanical engineering are you referring to? thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal View Post
    unfortunately not being a mechanical engineering student but an ME who is involved with R&d at a well know s cal aerospace facility i might have not the comprehensive data that you brought to the study. where did you find your metric data? i would love to see stress gauge data as well as actual deflection data and loads on this machine during nominal operation, granted the machine in question is suboptimal in many respects, however it does seem to fill the needs of a group of users whose needs are within the work envelope of this machine. in spite of it's shortcomings it does do what it is supposed to do. On a different topic it may have been a while since my undergraduate studies, what basic laws of mechanical engineering are you referring to? thoughts?
    So from your input here it seems you own or have owned this machine? How would you rate it on a scale 1-10?

Nate Lowrie at Fine Line Automation (www.finelineautomation.com) and I have developed a kit for a 2' x 3' machine that uses 8020 aluminum extrusion and a set of precision machined components. It can easily be adapted to a 2' x 4' kit or even up to a 3' x 5' kit (Nate has done customs before -- they just take a little longer). The 2' x 3' kit costs $1250, without electronics, and Nate is about to begin offering a Gecko G540 based motor package to go with it.

If you want a larger machine, my 8020-compatible rack and pinion system is now available as well, and Nate and I are busy developing plans for a 4' x 4' machine, to be followed soon by a larger work envelope machine. I'm in the midst of updating my website, but feel free to email me if you want more details. See the R&P development thread here:

CNC Router Parts Rack and Pinion Development

Both Nate and I stand behind our products, and I think most people who have used machines based on our components would recommend them highly.

That being said, I echo ger's sentiment and recommend the Mechmate machines as well. While I feel they require a little more mechanical aptitude to implement than machines based on 8020, they are definitely robust, industrial machines.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally Posted by the4thseal View Post

So from your input here it seems you own or have owned this machine? How would you rate it on a scale 1-10?

i do not own one...... that is why i would like to see data.....too often designs are dismissed because of some self centered looking down the nose view. the reason this is irritating is because from an ENGINEERING point of view the parameters just might not be known by the casual observer, and yes some parameters might be "stuff on hand" .or "stuff i can get easily" or will it fit a box.....just like some Russian fighters that had to fit into box cars for transport. i am not saying that there is an excuse for crap but i have heard the greatest you shouldas from those who have never done,...and designing something to an economy price point and still be able to market it and make money is harder than most people think....it is a pet peeve i know but it does get a little boring hearing endless negative comments. i would rather have a prof. have the students design better at the same price point including the cost of their time (as if they were working)and resources (all the free software is not free in the real world)and try to see if they can do better. i wish my profs had....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by henrydavis View Post
    Wow, thanks for that input. Which version did you purchase and which cutting size? Did Patrick give you a refund of any sort?
    I didn't ask for a refund. Maybe I should have, though. Instead I'm building one from scratch using a lot of things I've learned here. I'm using the motors, breakout board, and drivers, shaft couplers and so forth. I'm pairing these things along with Ahrens antibacklash nuts and some rails from ebay into a worthwhile machine. All is not completely lost, but I've learned a lot in the process. I really hope his new machine is better than his old one. I'm not trying to trash the guy... I just want to let everyone know about my experience.

The version that I had was 1.2 When the parts got here, there were some parts that had version 1.3 holes in them, I verified this later when I got the CAD files for the parts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't speak for Patrick's kits, but I can speak for some of his design. I used the buildyourcnc.com videos from an earlier design as the inspiration for my build. Patrick built his machine using a miter box, router, and cordless drill. I had access to much better tools. The machine works fine for a first time mdf build. It cuts clean and accurate. The only problems so far are operator error.

Like I said, I can't speak for his kits and I have no idea if they are worth the money. But I did enjoy building my own design based largely off of his, and I highly recommend the approach. Especially if funds are short. Spend the money on motors and a controller. If your build fails, then go buy an off the shelf system. The only thing lost is time and some mdf.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast