Questions from a newby-(sort of) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions from a newby-(sort of)

Downloads
    Uploads

Bloy, would it be possible to position your switches to where they cover all bases. Maybe finding a common location for all limit and/or home switches that would not be in the way. Just one of those what-iffs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What does DRO mean?
    Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also, how does your machine know where to move to get to the home switches? Left untill it hits, or right? Know what I mean? Do you need encoders?
    Thanks for the help.
    I really appreciate it. :rainfro:

Downloads
    Uploads

DRO = Digital Read Out - uses an encoder on the axis and reads out position.

The controller software should have a setup item for which end the home switch is on. I use turbocnc, and on it, you set whether the home switch is at the positive or negative direction.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a machine yet, so how do you know if it is the positive or negative side? Also, what is the main purpose for a dro, I don't think that you absolutely need one right? Is it just to let the computer know where the stepper is?
    Thanks for the help.
    I really appreciate it.

Downloads
    Uploads

You define the positive and negative when you set up the mill. If all else fails you try it one way and then the other just make sure the speed it set quite slow. I normally test the home switches with them removed, I wait for the motor to start moving and then press the switch manually, if nothing happens I press escape to stop the machine. Most of this info will be in the manual of the software you choose, it is not really a problem.

A DRO is normally used for manual machining, it tells you where the tool is. I often use one on a manual mill, once you find a few edges on the workpeice with a wobbler or similar then you know exactly where you are and can mill and drill very quickly.

In the case of a normal CNC system the computer tells the stepper to step and that is it. You have to ensure the machine is used within its capabilities so that the motor does not stall and "loose steps". The DRO is just the computer saying where it thinks the motors are. Genrally it will be correct!

Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,
    I am kind of new here. I have bought a Salem Control to start on build a CNCmill with Taig mile. My problem is that when Salem Control send the board to me they did not include any instruction of schematic of how to hook it up. I have try to contact Salem Control so many time but I have get nothing from them. I am trying my luck in here so maybe someone know how to hook up this board. It is there first 3 axis board I think it is SC1125 model.
    Thank you in advance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12