Crest part on a Cheap CNC - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crest part on a Cheap CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default As you wish, Deer carving pic

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crest part on a Cheap CNC-deer-jpg  
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

very nice.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Downloads
    Uploads

I really like the probe scanner I got. It's from Roland and is called the Picza 30. Very affordable for home use.

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

WoW!!

Impressive.

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks real nice! Now, if you could just get somebody to pay you to make these......

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Cool....

Looks great,
    But it kinda resembles a deer.

PEACE

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crest part on a Cheap CNC-laughing-smiley-011-gif  

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff nice carving. I have tried emailing you a couple of times and am not sure if this new system is working or not. If you get a chance email me so I can try a reply. I need info on some servo motors.

turmite

www.turnercustoms.com

turnercustoms@earthlink.net

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks real nice! Now, if you could just get somebody to pay you to make these......
    That is what I'm working on. The quote when to the customer....so I wait...

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Whatever became of?

Hey, Jeff,

July 2003 is about where I walked in, and this 'deer' project of yours set the hook (I took the bait on your machine design).

I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. Did you get a sale?

Done any more custom digitz?

Thanks! (If you've read my other post, you'll recognize I'm on a "What can I do with a CNC?" kick.)

P.S. This fellow (http://www.3dclipart.net) is asking $25/model. ~That~ might be what you could sell (I looked up the price of a Roland Picza. Sigh.)

--
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, No. I turned in to the door company a very good price because I wanted to get something out there. They then presented a price for a custom double door to this customer. I guess he did not want to pay for the custom door.

I have now put this carving work on the back burner. I need my time for designing and building my house on my 7.5 acre lot I got. I will however do carving in my house and then take photos for a website I will have.

I have other items that I just have not scanned yet. I went out and found many embossed greeting cards that would scan well. I also have wondered if people would pay for a scan or not.

Last edited by HomeCNC; 02-20-2004 at 04:12 PM.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by HomeCNC
    I also have wondered if people would pay for a scan or not.
    When I was a lad, I thought--briefly--that I wanted to invest in stamp collecting.

I went to a stamp show, and met that rare dealer who took pity on a poor boy and became quite candid.

"How do I know which ones are going to be worth a lot?" was my question.

He answered, "Look at me. Do you think I collect stamps? No. I'm a dealer for people like you. You decide: you want to collect because stamps are pretty? Or because you want to invest?"

"Well, to invest, I guess," I said. "Then," he said, "Sell everything you got, and buy the most Expensive Stamp You Can Afford, and put it in a lockbox for 50 years. Then sell it. BUT, if you ENJOY stamps, buy what you LIKE, and maybe you get lucky in 50 years, ONE of them is worth something. If NOT, you still have 50 years of stamps you LIKE!"

Long-winded way to say, "Maybe if you scan what you like, and then offer them for sale, you get SOMETHING back."

--
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff, here is a link to someone who does similar work. I thought that their approach was interesting.

http://www.heartwoodcarving.com/heartwoodcarving.htm
    T

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default paulreid

I am building a simillar machine to yours how did you mount your porter- cable trim router?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All,
    I posted some pictures of my 24-12 "Cheap CNC" machine that I did some mods to in the "Marv" folder if anyone is interested. I put some 1/2"-10, .200 lead acme screws in with some 214 oz/in steppers. Works wonderful. I can get up to about 90 ipm rapids but usually don't run it that fast, around 50 seems fast enough for me. I usually cut anywhere from 15 to 40 ipm with no problems.

I like the site upgrade too. Thanks for the great forum.

Marv

Downloads
    Uploads

Marv:

Can you go into more details on the mods. I need to update my system as it is toooooooo slow.

Paul

Paul Riedlinger
    Let the chips fall where they may...I'm not going to clean them up!

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Paul,
    What kind of details do you need? I used the cheapest acme screws I could buy but now wish I had used some ball screws, not that much more expensive. As yet I have no antibacklash nuts, just the brass acme nuts only. Backlash is virtually unnoticable cutting wood and doing photos. The 1/4 inch all thread and delrin nuts were removed, holes enlarged to fit the acme equipment. I did use the roller blade bearings for support on the opposite ends of the motor except for the Z axis. I just used forstner bits to do the pockes for the bearings and holes for the shafts. Just centered everything as best I could. Worked out pretty well. I did have to use a two thickness of paper for shim on the acme nut flange for the Y axis to keep it from binding but that was about it. I got some different couplings for the motor as I had a friend turn down the ends of the acme to 3/8" but you could turn them to 1/4 without any problem I think and use the original couplings. It's really pretty straight forward and all the locations for the holes are already made with the original equipment. Just enlarge and install.

The motors bolt right into place, size 23. The one's I got have a double shaft so I put a knob on the Z and Y axis but have not had much use for them yet. I tried the 116 oz/in motors I had from Xylotex and they worked almost as well. I really like the mods, I usually set up my g-code to run at 15-20 ipm then using Turbocnc just increase or decrease the speed overide for what ever material I am cutting by as much as 300 % if needed.

More question?? Bring them on.

Marv

Downloads
    Uploads

Specifically what steppers and controller did you use? I am ready and raring to go on the mods!

Paul Riedlinger

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cheap CNC Mod

Paul,
    I am using Turbocnc 3.24, Xylotex 3 Axis board, and the motors are MSG from Camtronics, 210 oz/in hooked up bipolar parallel

Marv

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crest part on a Cheap CNC-img_0234-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

What about limit switches? I think I spotted some on your machine in one of the pictures.

Paul Riedlinger

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cheap CNC Mod (Limit Switches)

Yes they are there but I didn't have any shielded wire to use on them and couldn't get them to work right without it. Haven't had time to mess with it again. I have a couple wired for home switches on my other machine and they work good. They are the cheapies from Radio Shack. I just got a relay today to wire in for my spindle control which is more of a priority for me right now.

Marv

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast