3dprintforums logo

CNCzone Network:  RFQwork :: 3Dprintforums :: Welderzone :: Google+ :: Our Facebook :: Twitter :: SiteMap

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hexapod designs?

Downloads
    Uploads

More HexaPod links!

http://www.iwf.bepr.ethz.ch/web/de/f...zm/hexa1.shtml

http://www.isw.uni-stuttgart.de/pers...ell/index.html

Sorry for the language differences (for most of us) but these sites appear to be excellent sources of information for hexapod style machines. The hexaglide looks quite promising, and the Modell series of machines appears to be based on this principle.

Basically instead of extensible legs that are fixed at each end, and which change in length dynamically, they simplified the design. The legs are of fixed length, and the position of the ends of the legs changes...it's mounted on a glide! Brilliant, and simple...elegant, even.

These look quite home-buildable, to me. So, is anyone else interested in this kind of thing? I'm *building* a traditional 3-axis machine, but I'm *dreaming* of a hexapod.

-- Chuck Knight

P.S. The software end of it is taken care of with EMC, a LINUX based program.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/

Apparently it supports hexapods, directly! Hooray!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From my reading of John Storr's site the Hexpod design was developed thru NIST who also developed EMC.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    What about turbocnc as software since it controls up to 8 axis?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a few more machine sites.. Impressive.

http://www.ifw.uni-hannover.de/robot...teenglisch.htm

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Another link for Hexapod?

Though I'd post here as most of the links seem to be in this thread.
    http://biotsavart.tripod.com/hexapod.htm
    Its a paper from the American University in Cairo.
    Its a 6 DOF machine (if you take in space AND TIME to consider and build - maybe more? get all 4 dimensions eh?)
    Jim

Actually these are the basis for all large multiaxis flight simulators - getting rigidity, accuracy, and strength is only a matter of: (man)power, materials, and money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This Hexapod / Stewart Platform design is amazing!!! I can think of lots of stuff to cut on this type of machine.......

Klox

*** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Guys,
    I made an enquiery to Hexel. Mr. Michael Fortier said price range is $85000!!!
    He said;"They can be programmed using standard G-Code as well as just an ASCII stream of X,Y,Z,I,J,K data. For programming tools any CAM system should suffice and it should be easy to use for anyone with a basic CNC background."

Chucknight i'm with you on this one, i'm also dreaming....LOL!
    Thanx for showing us this interesting concept!

Klox

*** KloX ***

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me get this straight... They're asking $85000 for a benchtop machine, and *we're* the dreamers? ;-)

To be fair, no commercial CNC machine is cheap...but the design seems simple enough to build with relative ease. I don't think the software would be a major hurdle, either, once the math is figured out.

-- Chuck Knight

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's a company near me that uses the same principal to manufacture flight simulation equipment.....
    I'm going to pay them a visit January.
    I'll see what i can come up with, even if it's only a fact finding mission LOL!

Klox

*** KloX ***

Like that StarWars ride at Disneyland....???

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting, but those big hydraulic struts would cost a fortune. Precision valves, motors, all kinds of stuff. Hydraulics ain't cheap.

Electric Muscle:
    However, I read an article in Scientific American about artificial muscle. It seems many types of plastic can be used as 'Electric Muscle'. It might be fun to make a mini hexapod machine using that and a Dremal. The only problem would be it's not really precision so you would have to have some very precision sensors to determine the power you send to them and their positioning.
    Perhaps a mini 1' tall hexapod could be done with a minimum of electronics, and no motors, acme screws, messy hydraulics, etc...
    However, as far as I know no one is selling the 'Electric Muscle' yet. And, you would have to use allot of them because they don't have a great deal of power.

Air Muscle:
    To get even more weird, I know for a fact you can make 'Air Muscles' for super cheap. They run on compressed air and look pretty cool. Of course, you would have to use allot of them because they don't have a great deal of power.
    Imagesco
    Shadow Robot Co
    Chris's Air Muscle page
    Robot Store UK

Air Actuators:
    Or, why not just use simple 'Air Actuators'. I don't know much about them but they couldn't be too expensive. Although, again, they don't have allot of power.

Satellite Dish Actuators:
    The BUDs (Big Ugly Dish - from 4'-15' diameter) have powerful actuators on them. They arn't very fast but they come ready to mount, with an encoder for positioning, have a long throw, and are pretty powerful. You could make a large hexabot! Plug-n-play baby! And, since everyone is moving to cable or the little dish you can sometimes pick up whole systems for nothing.
    I think this would be the best idea for a quick, easy to do, hexapod. Get 6 actuators of the same make and your ready to rock!

Just throwing some ideas out there!

Last edited by samualt; 12-21-2003 at 08:15 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Satellite dish actuators are an EXCELLENT idea. I wonder if they've shown up at BGMicro, yet? (Mail order electronics surplus, that's located in Dallas)

I know they have a "windshield wiper" style system available, right now, and the price is right. I'm not sure if it's just an "all or nothing" type of actuator, or if it's controllable.

As for the air muscles...they're an interesting technology, but they're EXPENSIVE for what they are. They are nothing more than a Chinese finger puzzle, with a balloon inside, and a few pneumatic fittings. That's IT! I had some discussions with their inventors, a few years back, for another project...fascinating and really brilliant idea. They'd managed to increase the pull to several hundred pounds, for a muscle you could hold in the palm of your hand.

-- Chuck Knight

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast