Another Banana Bender's Build !!! - Page 12

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast

Thread: Another Banana Bender's Build !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Another Banana Bender's Build !!!

With the electrical/electronic stuff more or less finished, I am turning to the mechanical side of things, today a mate put a piece of box section aluminium into his milling machine and did the cut-outs for the X axis servo, its mounting bolts, and also the ballscrew hole and mounting holes where the box section bolts onto the machine.
    The large X axis pulley is a 52 tooth, and I am waiting on 20 tooth pulleys to turn up in the mail, reduction will be 2.6 to one. These servos have brutal torque, can't wait to see this axis in action.

Once the small pulleys turn up I can permanently setup the servo and once the X/Y plate is fixed to the X ballscrew I will be able to jog and rapid the X axis and see what it can do, exciting stuff.

Photos as usual...

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2110-jpg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2109-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Moved the stainless steel enclosure out of the old router, gutted the old electronics out of it and installed it into the machine frame, then installed the new chassis, now ready to start permanent wiring.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2117-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Doesn’t look much but these two 32mm conduits disappear into the bowels of the machine and more or less turn up at the spot where the cables exit from inside to go into a flexible conduit to the moving part of the machine. Took a couple of hours/two hole saws and a good amount of swearing but it is done, now I can start running cables properly.

Top conduit is for the three/four servo motor power cables, bottom will have the encoder patch leads/estop and the limit switch cables, a little bit of segregation will be nice until they have to be jammed together in the flexible section.

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2121-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Not the most dignified spot for the line driver and encoder but they need to be protected from dust and mechanical damage, so I am using a standard electrical round j-box, I will run conduit from this later, as I am still in the testing phase it will stay like this for a while.

Once it is working I might paint the j-box black to match the servo.

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2162-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

So I kept going and powered up everything for the first time in the machine, and the X axis is now alive and working !!! It is limited to 100mm/min for now which is very slow but as the X/Y plate isn't attached to the ballnut yet I think that is for the best. I was going to temporarily attach them and do some speed tests but decided to wait until its done properly.

Photo of the everything powered up, looks a lot better in the shed than the photo, especially with the lights off...

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2165-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome work Mr Russ!!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Chich, I'm pretty stoked, I didn't even have to swap the motor cables to align with the encoder, win win!.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fresh from my mates machine shop is the X-Y plate, he machined down the sections that bolt down onto the X axis linear bearing blocks so that they only require a small shim to fix, and also gave the whole bottom side a quick skim, I temporarily put the plate in position with a cap screw in each block, then marked the centre line of the ballscrew as best I could, then tomorrow its back to the machine shop to make the mounting holes for the ballnut mount, which will be slotted to allow for my dodgy measuring, lol.

Just looked at the second photo and it does look like I am way off centre but that is just the angle the photo was taken, I promise !

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2195-jpg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2196-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

SO jelous right now. Looks great!
    Chich

Downloads
    Uploads

Plate now has the slots machined, so I bolted it into the machine, needed a 0.1mm shim, which happens to be the exact thickness of a coke can...wonder if they will sponsor this build, haha.

I had hoped to be able to jog it around properly and test the axis for speed but the PC that I had configured decided to die suddenly, guess I will be trying to get a PC working for the rest of the weekend instead of doing any work on the machine...arg!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2199-jpg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2203-jpg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2204-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

So, after a lot of swearing the X axis is now going, a little slow at the moment but one step at a time.

5000mm/min is the fastest I could get it to go without further tuning, acceleration is set on the conservative side, I am simply jogging with the keyboard in this video, running it into the soft limits.

I have set the machine X travel to 200mm at the moment, to give me time to hit the big red button.

Downloads
    Uploads

Time to start the Y axis, it is a bit hard to see in the photo but this is more or less what it is going to look like.
    The "floating" end of the ballscrew will fix to the Z axis plate, the holder is made to allow the bearing to move to its required position.
    The ballnut mount fixes to the 50mm by 150mm piece of aluminium it is sitting on in the photo, although it will be turned 90 degrees and use the fixing bolts that are currently going through the X/Y plate into the X axis linear bearings, its just sitting on it for the photo.
    The preloaded bearing block will fix to an aluminium plate at the back that will also hold the Y axis servo. I was going to have this plate vertical originally but have decided to lay it flat, so the servo will hang over the right hand side of the Y axis looking from the front of the machine.

The entire Y axis can be assembled and aligned before fixing onto the X axis bearing blocks, which is very nice as the Y bearing blocks would have been very difficult to bolt if it was sitting on the X axis. Have to say that was more good luck than good management but I am glad it turned out that way.

I have been testing the X axis and have discovered that the servo will push it to 6000m/min and no more. The servos I am using were not originally bought for this machine but I am going to use them as the lathe I was going to use them for has been abandoned and given to a mate. The servos are running on 70 volts and are rated at 90 volts so top speed is limited.

I was hoping to get 10m a minute but I can live with 6, its not worth ditching these servos and buying two more, not for a hobby machine. If I ever do work with it that I need fast cycle times then I will lash out and change the servos.

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2248-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

More progress, the rear plate of the Y axis is done, this holds the servo/ballscrew bearing block and also holds the Y axis plates together at the back. Fitted it all together today, The ballnut mount needs to be fixed to the X/Y plate yet, but I needed to check everything would move as it should before going any further.

Going to have to make something to attach to this to allow cabling for both the Y and Z axis, including limits and homing switches.

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2304-jpg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2303-jpg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2305-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

More machining done over the weekend, Z axis plate is done, spindle clamp bolted on and it is ready to mount the ballscrew, I need to buy some cap screws the correct length, as there is a 20mm spacer going between the ballnut mount and Z axis plate. The box section above will house the pulleys/belt and Z servo, also the ballscrew bearing block will fix to it.

The Z plate will most likely be trimmed shorter on the ballscrew side eventually, depends on the dust shoe design.

The Y axis ballnut mount plate is also done, again I need the correct length screws to fix the ballscrew bearing block to the Y axis side before I can fix this plate, though once that is done that will finish the Y axis, which will mean 2 out of 3 axis's will be done...according to Meatloaf that ain’t bad haha

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2349-jpg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2351-jpg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-598-jpeg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2350-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks excellent! That bad boy will be going before you know it!

Chich

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Chich, I hope it will be going soon, the wiring will be pretty basic, not expecting any issues there, all the drives have been powered up and tested, just limits and homing to sort and its on to making dust!

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is some nice hefty material that your are using. Can't wait to see the videos of it cutting!!!

Mike

Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mike, not long now...hopefully !

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some more done today, I have started to look at cabling to the moving section, I am going to be lazy and use a piece of Air-conditioning duct to run from the back to the front.

This has the advantage of moulded fittings to use and has heaps of room for cables.

I had to reinforce it with a piece of aluminium channel, as it will take the live weight of the cables and hangs over the back of the Y axis enough to clear the X axis servo.

Doesn't look much but it took all afternoon to get it in place.

Hope to start running and connecting some cables tomorrow.

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2377-jpg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2378-jpg   Another Banana Bender's Build !!!-imag2375-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That ducting really fits good in there. What a great idea to use aircon duct. Ready made corners and bends. Good one Russ.

Chich

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast