Stepper motor torque and rpm - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stepper motor torque and rpm

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Action-KAT View Post
    I think that works out to be 175oZ of Torque just under the max Amps @2.8A wired bipolar(P) Phase of 2.5mH ( 32*1.58mH = 50.56 V )
    Does that seem the right or could I get more torque another way
    KAT
    Whether this motor will have enough torque or not depends on what machine you are driving. What are you going to use these motors on?

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Finally get it

The motors are 175oZ
    I plan on cutting wood mainly 3D shapes.
    I would like as much torque as possible I think this would be better but I also think that matching the Voltage and amp as close to the controller and motor will make the most of the Torque of the motor.

Most of the motors I have looked at with higher torque the amps are above 3A of the G540, the voltage is ok and under the 50V.
    So go with 175oZ motors & G540 or get bigger motors 600/1200 oZ & use 7Amp gecko's.

I should look at what I can get away with motor size next now I know the relationship between motor, amps and Volts..
    Thanks for your help I can see clearly now
    Cheers
    KAT

Downloads
    Uploads

Without knowing size and propulsion method of axes, (Acme or ball screw, belt drive etc) I can't say. There are a couple of more powerful motors that work well with the 3.5A G540. Both the 4 wire Keling 270 and 387 are close enough for good work with G540. Of the three motors, the 175 oz will run slightly faster. But that won't matter if the torque is not high enough to start axis motion.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

From what I've seen, wood doesn't seem to be all the difficult to work with. I'm still in the middle of building so I can't give any real advice but like you I first started trying to hunt down the perfect motor. My Idea was get the biggest I could get for a later build when I would need all that low end power. But I was quickly put in place. Design the machine, and then choose your parts around it.

In the end, my dreams of 1000oz steppers were smashed with the reality that bigger is slower unless you get creative or expensive. Like five times more expensive or 3 times more creative.

You should post some of your design ideas and or cnc measurements and weights. You may need 400oZ to 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Action-KAT View Post
    The motors are 175oZ
    I plan on cutting wood mainly 3D shapes.
    I would like as much torque as possible I think this would be better but I also think that matching the Voltage and amp as close to the controller and motor will make the most of the Torque of the motor.

Most of the motors I have looked at with higher torque the amps are above 3A of the G540, the voltage is ok and under the 50V.
    So go with 175oZ motors & G540 or get bigger motors 600/1200 oZ & use 7Amp gecko's.

I should look at what I can get away with motor size next now I know the relationship between motor, amps and Volts..
    Thanks for your help I can see clearly now
    Cheers
    KAT

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Cheers guys for all your time on the motor front,
    I will finish the design side of the project and then I will know more of what my choice of motor will be.
    I can see that those 1200 oZ motors are unlikely to what Ican afford but at least I now know how to work out the best motor size and power combination to get the most out of what I can afford.

cheer again guys great learning curve for me
    KAT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to build a 3 axis cnc working on a 90cm x 60 cm x 30 cm volume.Also I want to work on stone too so I think my strcucture and steppers should be strong but I do not know how much power I need. does anyone can help me about how much tork I need?I read from a text that I will need 800-900oz-in.I find a good kit with a powerful steppers 1600oz-in also.Much tork is more faster or better working machine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper motor torque and rpm

I know I'm late to the show, but for anyone reading. Easier and better, although more expensive would be some Clearpath servo motors, a 72v toroidal PSU and PMDX-126 BOB. The servos have built in drivers and encoders. The BOB has a daughter board that you can add later on for spindle control and the PSU is rock solid. I run this set up on all of my custom built machines and have never had a single issue. Total cost on electronics for Nema 23 servos is $1200 all in with best in class service from Clearpath vendor and PMDX. BOTH ROCK SOLID COMPANYS. Oh.....and ALL Clearpath servos run 24-72 volts with built in current limiters. This means I can use the exact same electronics setup with any of the Clearpath servos.....Nema 23 and 34 at any torque and rpm they offer. Definitely the way to go if you plan to make money with your CNC. My CNC Routers make an average of $150/ hour when running jobs and my CNC laser cutters make just under that.

With my 4x8 machine I get Rapids to about 2000ipm with speed to spare. My smaller 1x2 machines I get 600ipm Rapids that are limited only by the machine size. They are all rigid enough to process wood, metal and stone.

And the best things about servos are.....never a lost step, WAY smoother motion and absolute repeatability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper motor torque and rpm

Wow, I have never seen them before. On paper they look like great products and could be drop in replacements for quite a few systems.Thanks for posting that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12