Data-cut plans "opinions wanted"

Thread: Data-cut plans "opinions wanted"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Data-cut plans "opinions wanted"

Hi there
    New to the CNC hobby but not green to CNC's in general. Millwright by trade and crossing over to cabinet making and CNC programing by taking a three year diploma course.
    Has anyone built or heard anything on the Data-cut machine plans out there? I may buy the Cad cut as well and compare.
    Thanks Mike C

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have the Data-cut plans here , and just about to start putting it all together , but at a first glance it's certianly well thought out and the plans are quite comprensive , and their is quite some scope to modifying as you go using it as a guide if need be , if i had a critisism it would be in the y axis round rails been hung underneath the table instead of all the weight being in a downward direction onto the rails if you understand , the weight would seem to be carried on the edges of the bearings at the top of the rail , so i could see some wear occuring over time , but of course this is just my interpretation and may be totaly wrong of course .

it's fine if you have access to a mill & also can get the aluminium part's ( the drawings are supplied to send out for quotes & for them to make gcode from ) made would make for a nice machine , or you need to have someone cut them for you.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there
    I too have bought the plans and am awating their delivery. I was told that there is a fair amount of machining involved besides getting the plate cut. What are your first impresions.
    Mike C

I'm getten there!
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the plans including the digital option. The plans are very detailed and easy to modify. They are very well thought out. Chris will answer any question you have and get back with you very quickly. He emailed me detailed pictures of parts I had questions about. I am in the process of machining the parts now. Yes there is a lot of machine work needed.

Problems I have had.

I was concerned about the load on the X axis as well.(Y to some, anyway the long side to side axis) The Thomson specs. for the bearing states that when used in this configuration you will have just over 50% of the designed weight carrying capacity. The weight of my gantry was under the max so I think it will be OK. It would be easy to modify the machine and use THK style bearings. I bought my bearings on eBay and the Thomson bearing came up first.

Getting parts machined has become a problem. It may be my location. Most of the machine shops around here are CNC shops. No one wants to machine the bearing surfaces. A flat bottom hole with bearing tolerances is very hard with a boring head. I am a retired machinist and know it is hard but not impossible. A CNC could do it OK but not many people do 1 offs with a CNC. I have modified the parts that required these tolerances by purchasing bearing housings from Misumi at http://www.misumiamerica.com/usacata...w&MRID=7&CID=2 These bearing housings are less expensive than having them machined. Misumi has several different styles of housing that will work well with this or any design.

I must say I did considerable modifications to the machine. However these changes were just to the size and not the design. I bought parts on eBay and from www.misumiamerica.com I then modified the machine to accommodate them. A very large expense of the machine is the large AL plate used for the table top and getting the machine work done.

I hope this helps.

Mark
    DMG Designs
    League City, Texas

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark,
    Where did you get pricing from misumi...did you request a quotation or ??

I've got the Data Cut plans with the digital option....if anyone would be interested in purchasing them.....I looked at them...they appear pretty good....I decided I didn't need a wood router, I'm CNCing my mill instead.

I'm getten there!
    Downloads
    Uploads

Viper
    Check the PDF pages to fine the price. Request a catalog and get CD with CAD files. It was easy to order from Misumi. Find the part number fax order. Sales rep. will call to confirm and get credit card #. If I rememberr shipping was $6 for 5 bearing housings, 6 pulleys & belts plus replacement bearings.

I envy you. We drove through the hill country last week, Lano, Mason, Frederickbourg and almost stayed.

Mark
    DMG Designs
    League City, Texas

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mark....Austin and the surrounding communities are very nice.