Need Help ! DIY Router Table Power Supply

Thread: Need Help ! DIY Router Table Power Supply

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need Help ! DIY Router Table Power Supply

Hello !

The Step Down Transformer feeding my DIY CnC router table "POWER SUPPLY" has an OUTPUT of 30VAC which is too high ! The Stepper Controller Circuit Maximum Input power is 42VDC.

Since I am going thru a Bridge Rectifier... that 30Vac is transformed into 42.3VDC { 30Vac X 1.14) Not counting Voltage Spikes...

I am looking for a quick and Dirty way to Burn off that extra Voltage prior giving it to my PCB board ... I was thinking about a Large Ceramic Resistor .... Any Ideas ....??? High Res Pot ??

I don't want to COOK my Board !
    Thanks for Reading this !!!

Norm

OUT !

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

You can use diodes in series, each diode will drop the output .7 of a volt.

Downloads
    Uploads

Resistors won't work unless you have a nearly constant current. Diodes might work, but you would need to account for the line voltage running high plus the transformer produces more than 30V unless it is running at the max current. You would need many high current diodes in series.

The best solution is to buy a 24VAC transformer. www.mpja.com has some 10A 24VAC transformers for US$19 plus shipping. They also have 24VDC switching power supplies in the 6-8A range for about the same price.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

We use doides in series all the time on our slotcar power supplies to tweat the voltage. They are placed on the DC output not the AC side.

Downloads
    Uploads

Depending on what type of transformer you have it may be very easy to remove a few turns off the secondary to drop the output voltage.

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

MPJA won't ship to Canada ! ?

Digikey seemed to be out of the 25vac ones when I ordered !

I didn't mean to Lower the Voltage Directly at the Transformer output ! sorry if I lead you to that conclusion in my Question !

What I meant was to do is Choke the Voltage just after the Bridge Rectifier !!! I want to lower my DC Vin to 25VDC so I need a Resistor or Diode that will Burn off 5 Volts * quick and dirty and still enable 10Amps to feed my Steppers....

Thanks for helping....
    don't let me Release the Magic Smoke !!! LOL

Downloads
    Uploads

1N4001 diodes are what we use but you can always a higher rated rectifier diode.
    http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...ghlight=diodes
    10A01TR-ND maybe...

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Thank you Drools ~

Basically that's what I was after.... I understand that I must take in consideration.... the Voltage at Idle ! and while under Load ! Since the Diodes don't Cut down at the same Rate !!!

Thanks for pointing out a Possible 10A Diode from that Online Vendor !

I guess I have a few more Purchases to do !!!

Thanks to all !

I'll report in ... once I got something put together... that is satisfactory !

Downloads
    Uploads

If you can get a small 12V or 24V transformer you can autotransform the primary to lower the primary voltage to the transformer by wiring the smaller transformer out of phase. The exact opposite of this: http://pminmo.com/PMinMOwiki/index.p...le=40vdcsupply

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Schweinhund227 View Post
    I didn't mean to Lower the Voltage Directly at the Transformer output ! sorry if I lead you to that conclusion in my Question !
    Removing the turns as Jalesi suggests achieves the same thing, but in the most efficient manner.
    This is the route I always take, when it is practical. It is much easier if toroidal type transformer.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok Al !! after reading some more about this....

it could also be the cheapest !

I have a big Hammond HM562-ND or a 165S30 type transformer... and if I follow your Lead !!! To go down roughly 5 volts ? is there a Quick'n'Dirty Formula to get it just about right ?

It's packed pretty tight in there and ... I would be concerned about scratching the remaining Windings Coating... Last thing I need is a Melting transfo ! LOL

Thanks in Advance !

Downloads
    Uploads

The best way to find out the turns/volt before hand is to wind on a 10 turn winding of very small gauge wire, if you measure the AC across this winding you can extrapolate the turns/volt, then you know fairly accurately how many to take off.
    Probabally around 2 turns/volt.
    The only occasion where it may not be practical to take turns off is you are not using a full bridge, but 2 rectifier full-wave with centre tap winding.
    Also if you have a secondary with two windings in parallel, both winding have to be reduced together.
    Otherwise for a single winding, it should not be a problem.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Thanks... I got the Tape off and I was nervous at first.... Gutting an expensive Transfo .. anyway.. I got about 4 or 6 turns off... and brought her down to 25-27ac volts... so.. I also changed my Bridge Rectifier.. with something I had on hand.... and got a Steady 32 volts DC !! the Sweet spot !

Thank you so much for forcing my hand... I got what I wanted out of it...

I powered my Board... and the Stepper I had Hooked up LOCKED UP !! just as described... in the instructions... I rechecked Vref and 5+ DC check points and all was A Ok !

Can't wait to fire this Baby !

Hoot !