Build Thread Well, why not

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, why not

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Well, why not

I am a member of this forum for a long time already. I mostly read forum and never make any post. But now, I have something to share with this comunity!

I finally start to build a CNC router/mill for making RC model parts out from a balsa wood and soft birch plywood. Maybe, if a machine will show better precision as expected, some molds from a dense molding foam can allso be carved, for fast prototyping of composite fuselages.

I dont expect much, as I opted for the cheap build using standard aluminum profiles. They will be mostly bolted and riveted together.

Some technical data:

Power supply and Controller: purchased from hobbycnc.
    Net working area: 600 x 400 x 100mm.
    Outer dimensions: ~ 860 x 710 x 530 mm
    X axis guide (lenghtvise): ball bearings over an aluminum profiles
    Y axis guide (crosswise): ball bearings over a steel rods
    Z axis guide (vertical): brass sliding bushes over a steel rods
    Stepper motors: Minbea 17 size, from a head drive of Epson Stylus 1500 (if they prove to be too weak, I will purchase stonger)

Up to this moment, I cut all necessarry profiles to proper length.

Now it is time to start bolting them together.

And a couple of photos:

Power supply and controller

Some of the profiles. Cross section 30 x 30 x 2mm.

Some of the gantry parts.

You can visit my Blog, to see more photos of this "project".

So much for now. I intend to start bolting stuff together shortly. I will report here about the progress.

If encounter some problems, I hope to find support here from you guys!

Regards!

Mitja

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sketches and some dimensions

This is how I suppose, my machine will look, when finished. I didnt pay much attention to properly draw details (up to technical drawings standards), as drawings serves me just to get dimensions of construction members and proper location of holes to drill.
    Not shown in the drawings, there will be a support for the electrical stuff on rear end of the machine. I will bolt a large plastic casing (housing) and install controller and power supply in there.

Mitja

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well, why not-side-view-jpg   Well, why not-front-view-jpg   Well, why not-top-view-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, I like your rails and rollers. They are very similar to the type I hope to make. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...4&d=1229638274 Although, the holy grail of this type of motion is the ones from cncrouterparts.com http://www.cncrouterparts.com/store.html

Running the rollers on square aluminum like that, are you afraid that the rail may twist? Also why did you not op to go with steel? Do you think the aluminum will be strong enough?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    Hey, I like your rails and rollers. They are very similar to the type I hope to make. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...4&d=1229638274 Although, the holy grail of this type of motion is the ones from cncrouterparts.com http://www.cncrouterparts.com/store.html

Running the rollers on square aluminum like that, are you afraid that the rail may twist? Also why did you not op to go with steel? Do you think the aluminum will be strong enough?
    Thank you for the link! (and I was thinking it was my invention )

Regarding aluminum profiles for a rail, I assume that it will hold a while, as this machine is intend to work only balsa wood and soft white polar plywood not thicker than 3 mm. So forces should be relatively low...and stress on the machine structure allso.

If time will show fast accumulating of the freeplay due deforming the rail aluminum, I will add a steel profile instead. I think, it should not be a major problem to replace as steel profile of the same dimension is available.

Regards!

Mitja

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well, why not-img_0433-jpg  
    Last edited by Ultralajt; 12-21-2008 at 03:37 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is one problem in your design that you will have to deal with. With your roller being parallel to your spindle, you are going to end up with debree under your bearings, causing racking and what not or at the very least severyly reduced lifespan on your bearings ( With the aluminum, It may just end up warping your rails or roller carriage). Your could lay down some angle right beside it to give your Y rollers some protection.

In my design thread, I first started like you, with them on the same level, but once someone pointed it out I moved them beneath the table. Here is some pictures to give you an idea.

Since you already started your build, there's no point in mounting them beneath but I think you will have to come up with a solution to keep those square rails clean.

Anyways, looking forward to your progress.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralajt View Post
    Thank you for the link! (and I was thinking it was my invention )

Regarding aluminum profiles for a rail, I assume that it will hold a while, as this machine is intend to work only balsa wood and soft white polar plywood not thicker than 3 mm. So forces should be relatively low...and stress on the machine structure allso.

If time will show fast accumulating of the freeplay due deforming the rail aluminum, I will add a steel profile instead. I think, it should not be a major problem to replace as steel profile of the same dimension is available.

Regards!

Mitja

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well, why not-side-jpg   Well, why not-bottom-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since you already started your build, there's no point in mounting them beneath but I think you will have to come up with a solution to keep those square rails clean.

Anyways, looking forward to your progress.
    Chris
    Thanks Chris for your comments.

I am thinking about a brushes mounted on each side of moving rollers assembly, that will clean rails on each pass. I dont know what will be more effective..a brush or plastic plow (plough)
    Also I am thinking about a vacuum cleaner with a smaller flexible hose attached near a router drill bit, to suck wooden dust. But, I am not a fan of this solution..to listen the noice of machine, router and also a vacuum cleaner.

I will certainly report my progress...

Mitja

BTW, I like your sketches!

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought about going with bristles too, but the problem with that is eventually bristles will come out and then your stuck with running over a bristle. A plow may work but I think it'll be more trouble that it is worth. And no mater what, you still will have material being flung from the spindle a few feet in all directions. I think your best option will be to mount a plexi wall on an angle right besides the rollers and rail. You'll loose a few inches X travel but you will get nearly perfect protection for your rollers and you will have a lot less cleanup to do around your shop.

If you look around, you'll see a lot of regular builds where they put up plexi just to deal with the flying swarf after the machine was built. Having hot pieces of aluminum flung at you isn't comforting..lol

The first thing my machine will be making will be a water cooled enclosure to contain the noise and mess. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage so I have to be a little inventive. Better than being a bad neighbor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm...a plexi fence is a clever and simple solution! Thanks!

I was diligent today!
    It was a first time, that gantry was attached to the machine table. Of course I didnt tight all bolts. They will be set properly and tighten when I will assemble parts for real. This was only to play a bit with todays work.

Video: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUmBMjYK1iA"]YouTube - DIY CNC -Gantry first assembly

Regards!

Mitja

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, you are really moving along. Looks great. Inspires me to hurry up and get started.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, you are really moving along. Looks great. Inspires me to hurry up and get started.
    Yes, it goes together pretty fast, but I am affraid, that things will slow down seriously, when I will start to work on electric part of the machine.
    I expect troubles finding proper wiring the steppers, wiring end switches, and routing all that wires to the controller the best possible way. Allso, I expect problems with learning how to use Mach 3program... how to set proper rotation of steppers (speed and direction)...and many more.

Mitja

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't worry about wiring and software. There are plenty of people here who can help with that part. I've had my machine running for a little over a year now and I still run into things that I learn from. Keep up the good work. It will really pay off in the end.

My Solsylva machine (my first cnc)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44336

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm...a plexi fence is a clever and simple solution! Thanks!

I was diligent today!
    It was a first time, that gantry was attached to the machine table. Of course I didnt tight all bolts. They will be set properly and tighten when I will assemble parts for real. This was only to play a bit with todays work.

Video:

Regards!

Mitja
    hello Mitja,

can you please provide a close up picture of your roller assembly?

-Nik-

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonauts View Post
    hello Mitja,

can you please provide a close up picture of your roller assembly?

-Nik-
    Here is a photo and a drawing of that component. (see attached pdf file, for a drawing with dimensions)
    On the photo there are no spacers inside the profiles to prevent crushing of them, and no self locking nuts as this was only temporary assembly...

The vertical distance between rollers can be fine tuned by thightening the nuts.
    The bending of the vertical bolts is eliminated by fact that this assembly is allso bolted on the gantry side uprights.

Mitja

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well, why not-long-rail-rollers-web-pdf   Well, why not-img_0420-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice looking build so far. Learning Cad was my biggest hurdle. Mach 3 was pretty easy as was Sheet Cam.
    The electronics were surely a chalenge, but very doable for a layman. If I can do it, so can you.

I do think you may have to modify the design later on. I know that I did and was very pleased once the final design was implemented.
    Steel rails would likely be the first addition for you.
    On the last photo of your trucks, I think they would benefit quite a bit from a couple bridging braces on the outside. That would help to keep the square and rigid on the rails.
    I'll keep watching your progress. Congrats so far.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Chris for your comments.

I am thinking about a brushes mounted on each side of moving rollers assembly, that will clean rails on each pass. I dont know what will be more effective..a brush or plastic plow (plough)
    Also I am thinking about a vacuum cleaner with a smaller flexible hose attached near a router drill bit, to suck wooden dust. But, I am not a fan of this solution..to listen the noice of machine, router and also a vacuum cleaner.

I will certainly report my progress...

Mitja

BTW, I like your sketches!
    what about some fencing like this? it could minimize debris getting to your bearings.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well, why not-fence-jpg  
    Last edited by Nikonauts; 12-25-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    ......On the last photo of your trucks, I think they would benefit quite a bit from a couple bridging braces on the outside. That would help to keep the square and rigid on the rails.
    I'll keep watching your progress. Congrats so far.
    ...The bending of the vertical bolts is eliminated by fact that this assembly is allso bolted on the gantry side uprights.
    Mitja
    See the attached photo. It is already done.

Mitja

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well, why not-img_0451-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonauts View Post
    what about some fencing like this? it could minimize debris getting to your bearings.
    Yes, something like that will be done.

Thanks for the drawing.

Mitja

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Some progress

Hi!

I manage to sneak out from the house these days and enjoy machine assembly in my workshop.

The progress was:
    - to find out the way, how to build "Z" axis
    - manufacture all the necessarry parts and asemble them on the gantry
    - manufacture some brackets and other hardware for the stepper motor attachment, and for the threaded rods guiding.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5XFFfQkTNc"]Here is a video where I move all three axes

So, now I will start to assemble all three threaded rods in their places and connect them to teh stepper motors.

I think, I am pretty close to the finish line

I am thinking about polishing those aluminum profiles...such scratched profile surface looks pretty ugly....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well, why not-img_0462-jpg   Well, why not-img_0466-jpg   Well, why not-img_0470-jpg   Well, why not-img_0473-jpg  

Last edited by Ultralajt; 12-28-2008 at 05:08 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Durability

Nice project. You could double back tape down some steel for a better wearing surface, something like used band saw blade comes to mind. Also a DIY bellows to keep off debris.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good man. I may have to give those X axis a try.

On your Z and Y, are you using a different kind of bearing on those round poles?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast