Cheap 1500W Chinese spindle, experiences? - Page 3

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap 1500W Chinese spindle, experiences?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff,

First i reset the drive to default, then i ran auto tuning as described in the manual. I never get any error-messages, but the motor stalls at 15-20 Hz, and get warm in a couple of seconds.

The wires I use is 1,5 mm2 (approx 15 AWG) and 40cm long.

Jan

Downloads
    Uploads

The default frequency settings need to be adjusted to 400hz

Also adjust 87 88 89 motor amp capacity.

There are several other settings that need to be adjusted from the base default.

Jeff...

Last edited by jalessi; 12-31-2008 at 06:20 AM. Reason: typo

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks to linearmotionbearings2008 and Jeff for pointing me in the right direction here. Now it is as smooth as silk

Happy New Year to you all!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Jan,

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner with additional settings.

If you get time you might document them for other Zone members.

Happy to hear you solved it.

Jeff...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default grounding the spindle

Is it necessary to ground the spindle itself? (I'll be running the 2.2 KW , 400 HZ, 8 amp 220V spindle from Chinese Ebay vendor, running this with a Hitachi SJ200-015NFU VFD with single phase 220 input.) If so, where on the spindle do I attach the groud wire to? Should this ground wire (if required) be one of the conducters in the shielded cable, or a seperate bare or insulated wire? Thanks! Al Ladd www.alladd.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I just ordered a 2.2kw spindle from our friendly neighborhood chinese ebay seller! I'm really exited to see this spindle at such a great price. I also ordered the VFD from another seller as well. Total cost including shipping for the spindle and VFD came to about $635!! You cannot beat that! The only parts I am missing now is how to incorporate this setup with my Techno LC4896.

Oh and I also have to find a good water pump and hoses. Any suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Al Ladd,

All of the spindles I have seen have a ground wire that attaches to the outside case or "tube" of the spindle.

The ground wire is one of the four wires that also feeds power to the spindle.

One of the four terminal connections on the spindle should be ground.

Check each terminal with a ohm meter, between the spindle "tube" and the ground terminal it should have continuity.

The three "3" phase terminals will have continuity between each other.

I am guessing pin 4 is the ground, however if it has no connection to the spindle "tube" I would suggest attaching a ground wire to the spindle mounting bracket.

See the attached Keling "Chinese" spindle diagram.

Hope this helps.

Jeff...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheap 1500W Chinese spindle, experiences?-spindlewiring-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

can anyone with a 2.2Kw spindle comment on the dimensions, i haven't received me yet but i am working on designing my Z, it would be helpful to know if the (80x215mm) listed is correct and measured from what to what.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default spindle measurements

The 215 mm is top of top plate to top of beveled aluminum cap peice at business end. The shaft with collet extends another 1.75" or so to the top of the collet and collet nut. The wiring connector extends about 1 5/16 in the middle of the top, unlike most routers , where the wiring goes off to the side. This is all an issue for me, as my spindle can be tilted to horizontal for joinery work, and the extra length is a problem. These did seem to be the shortest of the Chinese spindles capable of handling 1/2" cutters, -- in fact the shortest HF spindle of any origin. 80 mm diameter is correct, also an asset for fitting into the space I have for spindle.
    I"m goping to mount it in a K2 Hitachi router mount, shimming it about 1/16all the way around. My plan is to use rubber sheet or polyurethane sheet for the shimming. Is this a bad idea?
    Thanks Al and others for wiring help. It has just three connectors for wires, so I guess I"m on my own for attaching the ground. I"ll post my finished assembly when I get it working, hopefully next week.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do these drive come with the connector or does he have them available? Or is it a standard connector that we can easily get in North America. I am thinking of getting an 800 watt version to use on my Taig.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

The connector is supplied with the spindle. The wires to the drive must be soldered on to the connector.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So i just got my spindle and my first impressions are pretty good, i would say better than i expected. I purchased mine from the eBay seller and had it shipped directly from china.

My one concern would be the collets, the included one says 1/2" on it but it is measuring a bit under. Is this normal? Where have you all been buying smaller collets from. I think i should be picking up a 1/4" and 1/8" collets, anybody try a drill chuck in one of these dont think 6-24K rpm would go over to well.

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    Do these drive come with the connector or does he have them available? Or is it a standard connector that we can easily get in North America. I am thinking of getting an 800 watt version to use on my Taig.
    Yeah the connector for mine was wrapped up in what i thought was just part of the packaging, i almost threw it out!

Ill try to post up some pictures later.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

I am really interested in seeing and hearing a video of one of these spindles in action.
    Any chance anyone could point me to one, or post one. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Default test run, and a few questions

Just ran motor test. Only let it run at high speed for as few seconds, slowly increasing the speed, as the little aquarium pump I have set up only sends about 3-4 gallons an hour through the spinddle, about 1/6 th to 1/2 of what seems to be recommended.I'm running the 24,000 RPM 2.2 KW , 400 HZ, 8 amp 220V spindle from Chinese Ebay vendor, running this with a Hitachi SJ200-015NFU VFD with single phase 220 input. A couple things to verify: I should set base frequency at 400 right? and motor is two pole? Set current to 8 or maybe a bit more, like 9.5? It generates overcurrent error message on deceleration. The accel and decel settings are still the defaults now, maybe not appropriate for high frequency spindle. Can anyone recommend proper ramp up and decel settings for such a spindle? Bearings might be a bit knocky, (irregular little knocking sound)or is this not unusual for a new spindle, or for a spindle period, since you can actually hear little noises a router would totally drown out? I can see where it's quiet operation is a bit of a safety hazard, as its hard to see that the bit is actually spinning, and the noise doesn't signify running motor to one used to a router!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by endgrainguy View Post
    Just ran motor test. Only let it run at high speed for as few seconds, slowly increasing the speed, as the little aquarium pump I have set up only sends about 3-4 gallons an hour through the spinddle, about 1/6 th to 1/2 of what seems to be recommended.I'm running the 24,000 RPM 2.2 KW , 400 HZ, 8 amp 220V spindle from Chinese Ebay vendor, running this with a Hitachi SJ200-015NFU VFD with single phase 220 input. A couple things to verify: I should set base frequency at 400 right? and motor is two pole? Set current to 8 or maybe a bit more, like 9.5? It generates overcurrent error message on deceleration. The accel and decel settings are still the defaults now, maybe not appropriate for high frequency spindle. Can anyone recommend proper ramp up and decel settings for such a spindle? Bearings might be a bit knocky, (irregular little knocking sound)or is this not unusual for a new spindle, or for a spindle period, since you can actually hear little noises a router would totally drown out? I can see where it's quiet operation is a bit of a safety hazard, as its hard to see that the bit is actually spinning, and the noise doesn't signify running motor to one used to a router!
    I second the request for a video, just something quick so we can hear the sound your describing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

My 2.2KW spindle came with only 3 pins on the connector, numbered 1,2 and 3. Does the connector diagram shown earlier in this thread apply to the numbered pins on the three prong spindle plug? Does anybody have any experience with this different connector?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm Sounds like the cheep chineese spindles are doing ok.. Might want to get one for a backup to my Ekstrom carlson.

Far as the overcurrent on braking. With my Automation direct VFD I also got the load resistor which is used to control breaking current. Far as I know having this added on is a good idea how ever with a spindle of this size could be considered overkill as I would think the standard internals of the VFD could handle the brake current on it's own. Course I ramp mine from speed to stop in 8 seconds and like that so it might be good to have. Mostly having the resistor is important for fast brake ramps and to slow the tool fast enough if you have a tool changer to be sure it's stopped or large diameter tooling which spins longer after power off.

b.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default cooling question , three prongs, etc

I'm wondering about the parameters for water cooling. The number 8 gallons of water per hour has been thrown out, (perhaps via Homesshop CNC's spindle?) but doesn't this depend on the starting temperature of the cooling water, and won't this change over time as the water heats up? It will depend on reservoir size, and the configuration of the cooling system (a radiator would help a lot.) The submerged pump I use is 30 or so watts, so it in its self is a water heater. I guess if one knew what temperature the water leaving the spindle shouldn't exceed that would help, or maybe a physical indicator of how hot the spindle near the bearings should feel. Simply giving a flow per unit of time doesn't seem sufficient, or am I worrying too much here?

As to previous posts questions numbers on the prongs should correspond to the numbers on the VFD power out lugs carrying the three phase power. You'll also want a ground wire somewhere electrically connected to the spindle body to the VFD grounding lug. Now that I have settings correct, I can start and stop the spindle in less than 5 seconds each --no braking resistor required for stops that fast, though I get trips if I try to stop faster than 4 seconds. This will likely vary with different VFD's. Mine is the 2 HP Hitachi SJ200-015NFU.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would think that the spindle itself could take a bit of heat before running into trouble.

I'm almost ready to fire mine up for the first time! I have a few more things to do. I have to run a new electrical line from the house box and I'm waiting for wire and a water pump to come.

Speaking of pumps and water cooling, I have a 4'X8' router table where it takes 20ft of hose to make it to the spindle and 20ft back again. I have 1/8" id tube right now but I don't think I can push enough water through it because I had a hard time blowing air. I'm thinking of going to 1/2" tube but that is still a long run. The pump is said to have a 4' head. Any suggestions on which way to proceed?

Hi

Just wondering if some of you would post pictures of your spindle cooling systems and a description of the various parts.

Thanks

Andy

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast