How to cut stepper motor shaft?

Thread: How to cut stepper motor shaft?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to cut stepper motor shaft?

Hi

I have to cut a hobbycnc 305oz-unipolar stepper motor shaft in order to fit it to a K2CNC z-axis. I know I could just add lots of washers but it would be a neater and stronger job if I just cut the motor shaft to the appropriate length. I am not sure how best to do this without damaging the motor and I am looking for suggestions.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Use a Dremel Moto-Tool fitted with one of the thin brown cut-off wheels. Heat sink the shaft between the place that is to be cut and the stepper motor end plate with a small vise grip plier clamped lightly on the shaft. Use high RPM and cut slowly so as to not overheat the shaft excessively. I have cut off the hardened stainless jaws of a digital caliper with relative ease, so the stepper motor shaft should not pose any problem for the cut-off wheel. Just try not to bind the wheel and break it, and use eye protection in case it happens.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. I have an old milling machine and I was considering using that to clean up the end of the shaft after cutting but I don't really know whether the few end mills that I have could deal with the shaft metal. I got this mill for free and have not used it for any serious metal work and do not really know much about milling metal because I am mainly a woodworker.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you can fix the Dremel Moto-Tool to the spindle on the old mill. Tape or hose clamp to a rod held in a collet etc.. You could put the stepper on the mill, shaft pointed up, connect up the stepper to its driver and get it spinning.
    You could then do a very neat job of cutting the shaft off, even put a little chamfer on the end.

You may want to some kind of shield over the stepper around the shaft to keep the dust off it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know this is an old post however for those needing to know just use a standard 3" cut off wheel and put the stepper in a vice carefully not to damage the housing. I used my lathe to hold mine. Cut the shaft at whatever length you need and if you have to cut a new flat spot do that at the same time. Shorter shafts will bare less wear and tear on the motor bearings so minimize them as much as you can without going excessively short. This goes for any motor shaft. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by harry11733 View Post
    Hi

I have to cut a hobbycnc 305oz-unipolar stepper motor shaft in order to fit it to a K2CNC z-axis. I know I could just add lots of washers but it would be a neater and stronger job if I just cut the motor shaft to the appropriate length. I am not sure how best to do this without damaging the motor and I am looking for suggestions.