new to site and CNC, am building a machine

Thread: new to site and CNC, am building a machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default new to site and CNC, am building a machine

Hello all, I am new to the site and I have been browsing the web for a few months collecting information, looking at turnkey machines and trying to learn as much as I can about cnc machine before I start diving in. I build pool cues and have for 5 years now full time. I build a good cue but now I am ready to go to the next level which is CNC. I own a pantograph but I don't really even want to go that route. I used to be a CAD drafter for a Butler building designer when I was going to college for Engineering. I have decided that I can't afford a new machine (can't really take a chance on not being able to make payments on a machine). So I decided to build my own machine. I am a very capable guy. I have a bridgeport mill and all the welding equipement I could need. I have been a welder and fabricator most of my life (dads bussiness). I am the type of person that I would rather build the machine once and build it right, grow into it if necessary. I will be doing inlay work on pool cues and I am also a musician and would like to possibly try my hand at guitar building and inlay work. I want a machine that has a 4 x 4 work area(actual maching area), and 8 inches of Z travel as I will be using 5c collet jigs initially for my 4th axis until I can afford a servo 4th axis. I want to use Gecko drives and I think the G-rex because I want to use ethernet or usb. I have already bought a Perske 2hp spinde and saftronics controller. I would like to use servos and good ballscrews with a high resolution. This site i a bit overwhelming with information. I would like to buy some plans or find some for a quality machine that I can build, like I said, I don't want a cheap machine. I want the equivilant of a techno Isle or something of that nature. I just can't afford to buy one outright and I don't want to lease or make payments. I would prefer to build it and have it paid off when I was done. I can buy a part here and there and build it. I have access to any tool I would need to build a part. I just need the right plans. whew, that was a lot. I'm sure there is more information I need to put on here but that should be a good start for someone to get me started in the right direction. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

U have two options:
    1- Build JGRO
    2- Build Joes 2006

Both above plans are freely available on this site. Both machines are wooden (MDF).For JGRO it is so simple to cut MDF, whereas Joes2006 is a little bit complicated (as far as parts cutting is concern)...However you can buy the complete parts with reasonable rates from Joe.
    You have to buy electronics+software from third party..
    I built my first machine in metallic...whereas my second machine is in progress out of MDF..
    Cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have looked at the joes machine and i looks decent but I will have to look at it a little more. I am curious about what type of ballscrews
    I should use for the type of work I want to do. I am a bit confused when i look at thk ballscrews they are all deminsioned in metric MM, but some machine software setups ask if you want to go metric or standard (which is what I want to do). I don't fully understand how to pick ballscres yet. I also don't know if I have to buy them at a finished length or can I machine them? I was to use good ball screws. like I said, I only want to build this machine once. I don't want to get it done and then wish I would have just used better parts or be disappointed with the quality I can get. I need to do tight inlay work. I want as good a setup as I can build. I'm not afraid to spend money. I just can't spend it all at once.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am sure that Joes not using ball screw... He is using ACME threaded rod... Its in software u can change the unit...Using leadscrew in metric or inches doesn't matter... My first machine has ball screw, but i am having some issues with them..in my second machine i am using ACME threaded rod, i made the lead nut out of Teflon and it works well...
    Any questions???
    (NOTE: U can get high quality work from Joes/JGRO machines.. Just depends how much u squared and aligned ur machine, use quality components..)
    My 2 cents..

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the link of my built and some of art work i created..
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=39588&page=1
    (Go through all 14 pages)
    The joes2006 is not 4 x 4 working area....neither i have in my machines... For 4x4 working area u have to design it urself..If u r goint to make it out of steell then just watch www.mechmate.com. This i think having working area of 4x8 ft, and with complete free plans from Gerald..