Needing some help from the pros

Thread: Needing some help from the pros

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Needing some help from the pros

Hey everyone I'm a DIY person just like most of you but without the knowledge i'm currently working on the electronics portion of my CNC machine since the CNC machine has been built (Needing some improvements in accuracy still) Now with the electronics I have about 30 stepper motors pulled from various things small to big but I don't have 4 of the same anyways I have looked at many posts about electronics and Stepper's and have come close but not all the facts. I have a few questions as too what I should do below and thanks for the help everyone

1) Driver circuit I have seen various kinds and would like one with everything on one board including breakout board must drive 4 axises (4 phase and above are the stepper motors I have)

2) Does the Driver circuit components have to be adjusted for the size of stepper motor meaning amps and volts of course

3) I have Stepper motors that have 2 degrees and less is that good for about
    +- .010 or +- .005

4) Power supply hoping to use Computer Power supply if it works I've heard of people using them.

5) Can different motors be used on the same CNC Machine (Different one for A axis or Z axis)

6) Mach 3 Setup

7) Hoping to cut light aluminum, plastic, foam, wood, brass (hopefully) stronger materials will be using smaller step down and I will only be cutting small propellers out of brass

8) Source for parts like Printers, Power supply's etc (Can order but would like to find in redly available places)

These are only a few questions that need to be answered before i move on

Thanks for all the help and hopefully I will be able to get started on the electronics soon and watch my machine work

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

1) Driver circuit I have seen various kinds and would like one with everything on one board including breakout board must drive 4 axises (4 phase and above are the stepper motors I have)
    The Hobby CNC Pro boards will probably fit your need very well. 4 axis, 2 or 4 phase, break out board on the board, and individual axis current limiter potentiometers. This will allow you to use different motors for different axis.

3) I have Stepper motors that have 2 degrees and less is that good for about
    +- .010 or +- .005
    They most likely have 200 steps/rev (most do). Your resolution depends on what kind of lead screw you get. If you go with a 2 TPI lead screw and full step then you would get 0.0025" resolution. Accuracy is a whole different beast.

4) Power supply hoping to use Computer Power supply if it works I've heard of people using them.
    Don't, 12V will get you hardly any torque. If you go with the Hobby CNC board try to shoot for 36-40V if possible. Don't go any lower than 24V.

Depending on the size of your machine, most printer motors won't be powerful enough. Do you have the rated torque for any of the motors you have? They're pretty much useless if they're under 100 oz-in. You'll probably want to look into dual lead screws, each with their own motor, to maximize your torque.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For the Driver Board I would like to Do It Myself as I have all the required equipment and supply's I just need one with adjustable voltages/amps for different motors etc it necessarily doesn't need to have a breakout board part of it bc I can draw one in auto cad and I was only using the possibilities of the Printer for controller IC's or other transistors etc thanks for all the help so far

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so here are some of the Big Stepper motors I have found over a few years all list the info below

Mini angle Stepper(2 of these) (Couldn't find much info on this one)
    IBM P/N 4703237
    Type: 34PM-C124
    1.4 ohms/coil
    2.8 amps/coil

Superior Slo-Syn
    Type:M092-FD-333
    200 oz/in
    2.5 v
    4.6 amps

More Info about products close to this one can't find this one are at http://www.mcsupplyco.com/uploads/pr...ProductID=1205

Superior Slo-Syn(2 of these)
    Type:M091-BD-3108
    110oz/in
    180 steps per rev
    7.4 v
    1.39 amps

More Info about products close to this one can't find this one are at http://www.mcsupplyco.com/uploads/pr...ProductID=1205

Step_Syu
    Type 103-820-0242
    IBM P/N 240256
    4.5 V
    1.4 Amps
    200 steps

Unknown
    IBM P/N 1816039 EC357475
    Model :GPF4945-2t
    Step Angle 2 deg
    2.8 v
    2.2 amps/phase

Step_Syu
    Type: 103-820-0042
    IBM P/N :2462561
    4.5 v
    1.4 amps
    Ok so I was planing to use the one 200oz one as my A axis because it will be able to hold up the materials better then the smaller ones then use the 2 Mini angle Steppers as the X and Y axises and the Z im not to sure off any help on these Steppers is great as well as if the choice's for each axis are good

Now to the more difficult problem finding a DIY Driver board that will work with all these Steppers or even changing one so they will any help on this is greatly needed thanks