New Machine Build dont know where to begin

Thread: dont know where to begin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default dont know where to begin

i am thinking about building a cnc router to do wood work with i really want to build a guiter body but i dont know where to begin is there any one that can help me on what i need and where to get the parts for this machine

thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Start reading through all the threads here and you'll find all the info you need.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Look at Joes 2 machines the 2006 and 4 x 4 Hybrid.
    The Sosylva plans have been built by many as well as the JRGO.
    I think you could cut a guitar body on any of these.
    There are plenty of build logs on here to help and many have parts lists as well.
    You can build some of these for less, but I would plan on about $1000 in cost. Some would cost more. It depends on materials and what you may already have or can scrounge.
    I built Joes 2006 so thats the only one I can speak to with experience. I also think it is about the best "bang for the buck" although it is not the least expensive.
    Read a lot and ask questions.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi dragon23,

One of my favorites is Haydn's machine, he even has some videos where he is cutting out guitars. Here's the link to his thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30751

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    Look at Joes 2 machines the 2006 and 4 x 4 Hybrid.
    The Sosylva plans have been built by many as well as the JRGO.
    I think you could cut a guitar body on any of these.
    There are plenty of build logs on here to help and many have parts lists as well.
    You can build some of these for less, but I would plan on about $1000 in cost. Some would cost more. It depends on materials and what you may already have or can scrounge.
    I built Joes 2006 so thats the only one I can speak to with experience. I also think it is about the best "bang for the buck" although it is not the least expensive.
    Read a lot and ask questions.
    New here, where can I find info on Joes machines?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    New here, where can I find info on Joes machines?
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default A better answer is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Start reading through all the threads here and you'll find all the info you need.
    I understand that some newbies ask annoying questions, often without doing any research on their own, but....there are 535,000 messages in this forum, so "go read all of them" isn't a very good answer.

Granted that opinions are like elbows, as a newbie, what I'd really like to find on this site is a consolidation of experienced opinions.

Maybe this could be presented as polls:
    favorite plan set
    favorite stepper motor/size
    favorite driver/controller
    favorite software
    etc.

More info would allow more people to have better first-time experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads

The closest thing that CNC Zone has to a consolidation of experienced opinions is the build log forum and this particular forum. There is also a musical instrument forum. Ger21's reply is correct in that the information is here. Just reading through build logs of the machines that interest you will give you what you need to build your machine. I have been reading forums for a year now as I built my first machine from plans, and there is still a lot I don't know as I start my second build with no plans.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default An elongated response

Quote Originally Posted by merrittgene View Post
    ... so "go read all of them" isn't a very good answer.
    More info would allow more people to have better first-time experiences.

Thanks in advance.
    You are right, but to give any kind of 'suggestions', people need to know more about the 'mission' for the equipment to answer appropriately.

Questions like?
    Do you want to make boats? guitars? parts for watches? Model or full size aricraft? Wood only? High relief 3D? 4x8' sheets of plywood/MDF for cabinets? Does it need to be really fast? What is your budget? Under $100 is hard to do, $2K to $3K has some nice 'kits' and DIY systems available, $20K has some real nice machines, $200K find a distributor for 'big iron', but thanks for asking. Do you want to make it from steel? 8020? MDF? plywood? How comfortable are you at soldering? Do you need a KIT or purchase 'ready made' components or are you a hard core DIYer and want to home-brew it all? (Hard core DIYers probably won't ask in a forum, but would go 'try something', is my guess, most of us are 'less than hard core' if we are asking for information

So yes, there are frustrations on the question asking AND answering side.
    We are not trying to 'shoot the messenger', just trying to quantify parameters to provide reasonable ranges of suggestions.

Personally I would like a ShopBot ( shopbottools.com - their support is great and the forums and workshops is like group therapy) PRS9648 - but their price is out of my league, and drule over the idea of building a MechMate ( mechmate.com ) from their plans (a good support and helpful set of forums - plans are free and you get a great value for what you build), BuildYourCNC.com has good free plans online, but their 'purchased' gantry and electronics kits are priced within reason, the owner is really helpful and answers emails. MikeBeck.org has a great kit both electronics and mechanics at a reasonable price, and Mike is very helpful. As my 'beginner' rig, I purchased gantry plans, controller kit and stepper motors from HobbyCNC.com (a helpful but very focused forum, and their controllers are great, even fun soldering it together and I built the analog power supply that 'just works' without hacking up perfectly good PC power supplies - but they help with that too. I have gotten my 'hands slapped' a few times for asking 'off topic' questions by this private forums moderator). There are other great machines and controllers out there too.

Then there is the software. Like the Windows vs Linux vs Mac this can be a religious war. Below is my list of prejudices:

Machine controller software - takes in g-code (or similar) and drives the hardware - you typically want a dedicated desktop PC (not a laptop) with 'old fassion' printer port(s) for it to work right. I like EMC2 ( linuxcnc.org ) partly because I like Linux, and it is free. It takes a bit more mental grease to get it running, but it can drive just about anything. Mach3 seems to be the big winner for many folks in the Windows camp. http://www.machsupport.com/ and costs about $130 or so ... There are more, DOS based, and some home-grown software. Google can be your friend and nemesis at the same time - the more you look, the more you find. If you use a ShopBot it comes with its own software, and can USB connect to a laptop or desktop.

CAM software - I like CAMBAM http://www.cambam.co.uk/ really nice, about $150 and a free version is available. It is an entry level CAD/CAM software that can generate g-code directly. I haven't found a good 'free' alternative that fits my tastes. MasterCam is a commercial version and there are many others.

CAD software - QCAD works, SolidWorks, Rhino, AutoCad, Google Sketchup (Pro version is needed if you want to make DXF files to feed into CAM software), and there are plenty more, and they tend to address different audiences with different missions and budgets. Same comment about Google as above goes here. Vectric.com has some great and fancy carving software (Aspire can knock your socks off, but at $2K it does a KO on a bank account too! ... other packages may be fore affordable depending on your needs)

Some use 'drawing' software like Corel Draw to generate layouts, and other software to 'cut'. This is done for several 'sign' programs and laser cutters, but it is also used for some routers too.

Some of this and other software merges/blurs the line between the Machine Controller / CAM / CAD ... so making the distinctions sometimes makes sense, and sometimes does not.

.... So the question you asked is not a simple answer. So the answer is not simple either. That is why most folks will either ask for more information or not respond at all.

This is not trying to 'shoot the messenger' but trying to explain some reasoning as to why there is no one, and no simple answer! (Whether it is valid or not!)

IMHO, if money is no object and it fits your needs, buy a ShopBot, go to their 3-day training class in NC, and just use it and enjoy. Most of us have other comprises to make.

Downloads
    Uploads

Merrittgene

I think Gerry gave the right answer...start reading and where to start all depends on your interest. You want to do a DIY machine for woodworking, I would start in the Wood Working Machines forum, reading the FAQ and DIY-CNC router Table machines posts first. Then maybe the CAD/CAM forums to see what is available for what I want to do. Then onto the Electronics to get a handle on what is required and what is available. So in many ways the information has been consolidated.

My first “try” at starting a build went nowhere, I did very little reading, and jumped on the 1st or 2nd idea I saw presented here or other places on the net. The material I purchased for that build is still setting in the garage or has long been trashed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You need basic information, You will be confused by information from different people. That is mean you need study it systematiclly

http://www.roktools.com