Wrong THK rail - Help!

Thread: Wrong THK rail - Help!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wrong THK rail - Help!

What a tangled web we weave when we buy from Ebay to be cheap!

OK, so I bought two 99" THK rails and never really checked them over good. In fact, one rail stayed in the crate till I figured I was ready to mount them. My bad !!! (but the picture on ebay,Sep-24-03, showed two rails exactly the same with bearings).
    The four carriages (bearings) that came with them only fit one rail (hereafter referred to as the THK rail). So now I have this "Other" rail that is 99" long that doesn't fit anything and I'm missing one very long THK rail that would work with these carriages.

So now what to do. Any obligation the seller had has long since expired (again, my bad). But that doesn't change my situation. I have a 99" rail I can't use and have no idea how to look it up to see what it is. I mean, how many companies make such rails? Probably quite a few. Even the THK rails aren't stamped "THK". There seem to be no marks on either of them. It's very hard to sell a single rail with no carriages (bearings) and especially if you can't tell the buyer what brand the rail is.

I'm 99.9999% sure that my THK rail is truly a THK, else the carriages (bearings) wouldn't fit so perfectly. And since those bearings are marked THK SR30W1SS(GK) I'm pretty sure of what I have there.
    But how do I determine the "Other" rail? With no marks on it and no carriages as a guide I fear all is lost. I guess I could cut it up and toss it in the trash, but I hate to ruin a 99" long and beautiful rail which is in very good shape.

Anyone selling a 99" THK rail for SR30W bearings?
    Anyone want to buy an unknown 99" rail? LOL.
    I am stumped, and it was my own fault...

P.S. If anyone is interested I'll try to post some pics later of the two rails and show what the "Other" rail looks like. If you think it would help identify it.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You could cut the THK rail in half and still have a respectable four feet of travel. Just a thought.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is this the profile of your rail? If so I may have a need for a extra rail. Or I may have 2 bearings to fit your rail. Post some measurements.

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wrong THK rail - Help!-rail-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is the profile of the "Other" rail (Lead pencil rubbing). When I get my camera back together I'll try to take a picture of it. Not much is working for me at the moment.

Dimensions of the "Other" rail (Close but approximate)
    --------------------------------------
    Height: 26 mm (1.02")
    Width: 28 mm (1.1")
    Width of Groove: 18.56 mm (.725")
    Bolt spacing: 80.5 mm (3.17")
    Bolt Hole Size: Head 14.28 mm (9/16"), bolt 8 mm (5.5/16")
    Length: 2,524 mm (99.4")

Downloads
    Uploads

Samualt,
    Could you post the ebay item number (or more specifically, the sellor) so I could check on this item? I may have been considering this item a while ago but deleted all "ended" autions up to a date.

Last edited by Bloy2004; 07-17-2004 at 07:18 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

oops,
    forget that last post....just saw the date....sept 2003......back then I didn't even know what the letters "CNC" meant!

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, that profile doesn’t match mine, nor do I find it in my references. I think most of us have an ebay story we’d like to forget.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Samualt:
    Contact the seller, although under no obligation, he may be willing to trade straight across for the real deal, or accept a relatively small _restocking_ fee .

robotic regards,

Tom
    = = = = =
    "We call them landfills, where we park our trash; thus we fill the land, and trash our parks."
    - - Sumita Millick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Toymaker:
    I wrote the seller an email. But I don't expect to hear back from him.

jwatkins:
    It's too late to redesign my machine for 4 foot lengths. I have already built the frame for 4'x8'. I'm locked in at this point.

I have come to believe that the "Other" rail is a THK brand HSR type. Perhaps a HSR 30 from the dimensions. It looks exactly like the brochure for the guides. Now I'll just have to hone it down from there. Surely I can find a buyer or someone with a trade. I'll post specifics when I figure exactly which one.

Last edited by samualt; 07-17-2004 at 11:55 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sam!

why don't you try and see if you can get 2 bearings that will fit that rail that you have. The bearings might be cheaper to buy or replace rather than another rail. You'll just have 2 different style THK rails and bearing for your machine. Just a thought. you might need to cut a small sample of the rail to send it to the manufacturer so they can match it up with some bearings. Let me know if that works for ya. again just a thought.

Regards

Rich Monforton

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rich Monfo:
    I would just buy some bearings, but they ain't cheap either. And one rail is slightly higher than the other and that would introduce another kludge. I will try to sell the "Other" rail. I found out exactly what it is.

Brand/Model: THK - HSR 30
    Height: 26 mm (1.023622")
    Width: 28mm (1.1023622)
    Standard Length: 2520 mm (99.2125984", or 8.267')
    Bolt Spacing (center to center): 80 mm (3.1496063")
    Bolt Hole: d1xd2xh
    (bolt Shaft hole, bolt Head hole, Height of hole)
    9x14x12 mm (0.3543307" x 0.5511811" x 0.4724409")

I'll guess I'll move-on to the For-Sale/Trade section here.
    I would gladly trade for a THK SR30 rail with simular specifications. Or, if your planning a 4'x4' or 4'x8' this would be a great start! Looks new! (I might deliver free if in/around North Central Texas).