Help on tooling

Thread: Help on tooling

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help on tooling

I figure you guys should know since you build these things. I have a CMS Router with twin tables and spoilboards. I use it for nesting and part processing. I never take off the spoilboards and use the pods because it's way too time consuming. I'll make a jig before I pod. Just a little background. I seem to have issues with cutting hardwoods. It either chips or takes chunks out. Very rarely do I get a nice cut. The hardwoods range from 1/2" to 3" thick. I've tried:
    1) new/sharpened tools.
    2) 1/2" up/down sheer and just downsheer (all tools are carbide)
    3) slowing cutting speed/speeding up cutting speed
    4) slowing spindle speed
    5) cutting off more than 1/2 diameter of tool
    6) cutting off less than diameter of tool

I don't know what else to do. I figure it's got to be the tool I'm using. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance. Dan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you climb or conventional cutting? Try cutting in mult passes.

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Multi passes in depth or width? right now we will use 2 or 3 passes in depth. But usually on the smaller pieces, so there won't be any movement. I just figure there has got to be a way to cut (1) pass full depth without chipping or damage.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your getting blow out on the end back it up with a scrap piece of wood, that works for us.

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't cut anything thicker than .75 cherry blanks but we had some of the same issues.

We found that 1 or 2 sides would excessively chip because the bit was travelling in the wrong direction for its rotation. Instead of cutting into the wood it was running backwards against the stock on the 2 sides as well as cross grain.

Try reversing the cut direction for the 2 sides to make sure the bit always travels in the correct direction. We also get better results with a 2 flutes instead of 4 flute bit at lower speeds.

Now we tape both top and bottom of the blank and back all cutouts / cutoffs with wood like CNCadmin suggested. We also cut all blanks .0625 thick in multi pass and then take off the final bit in 1 pass at slow speed.

We didnt solve these issues until we asked a very talented woodworker to come in and look at the settup. If none of the above helps maybe you should ask the opinion of a few local craftsmen. They are usually fascinated with the process.

Worry about success, failure takes care of itself.