Problem Problem Cutting Square Edges

Thread: Problem Cutting Square Edges

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problem Cutting Square Edges

Hi, I have a small (~24"x24") router. It is not particularly rigid but good enough, it is made of aluminum but it has unsupported rails on all axis. It has a 2.2kw water cooled spindle/hitachi vfd/G540/nema23 steppers. The bed is plywood with an mdf spoilboard which has been been surfaced to be true. I am able to cut aluminum but today when I tried to cut 1/4" 6061, I noticed a problem which I have shown in the attached diagram. I was cutting an 8" long wrench that is about 1.5" wide and when you look at it on end, you will see that one side is noticeably angled to the side and the other side is slightly angled as well. I cut it with a 1/4" onsrud o-flute carbide tool at 15ipm/15k rpm. i made fairly shallow passes (.02") and I am climb cutting. It appears that the tool is deflecting quite a bit on one side and very little on the other. I don't expect this to be a very precise machine but I figure that at slow speeds, I should be able to cut reasonably well. When I cut mdf, up to ~3/4", it is pretty square.

Could climb milling be an issue? Should I take it even slower? I can post pictures of the actual object tomorrow. I want to build a more rigid machine but I want to use this one to do it so any suggestions on how to improve my cuts would be appreciated.The drawing shows what it is supposed to look like on top and what it actually looks like below. It is possibly more extreme than the diagram.
    Thanks.