Leveling a CNC Machine

Thread: Leveling a CNC Machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Leveling a CNC Machine

I've been looking at different systems to level my cnc machine. It is especially important in my case because my machine is made to be stored and setup repeatably. Here is one way I thought of that doesn't look expensive or difficult:

1. Use a rotary laser level that is self-leveling to determine if your x-axis is correct. These can bought for under $75 on ebay (make sure it says "self-leveling" and "360 degrees" and "rotary". It should also state the rpm). This is as simple as setting the laser level in the middle of the table and letting it produce a 360 degree line. Adjust the height of the line to match the tops of your x-axis rails. If the line matches all four corners of your x-axis rails then they are level. Otherwise adjust your machine feet or use shims.
    2. A simple horizontal bubble level on your z-axis will tell you if it is exactly perpendicular to the x-axis. You could just use any small level you had against the z-axis plate (plate that holds your router).

I can't think of an easier way without allot of measurments and such. The above method makes sure that not only is either side of the x-axis level but also that both sides are level with each other. Assuming the x-axis is perfectly level then the z-axis needs no more than the cheap, small, bubble level.

Does that sound reasonable?
    Anyone know of a faster or better way? (must make sure both x-axis rails are level, and level with each other).
    I'm not sure of the accuracy of these rotary laser levels but I would assume within a few feet it would be pretty accurate. Anyone know different?

P.S. Look for these rotary laser levels to be dirt cheap in retail around next Christmass.