newbie just built a very low budget CNC router looking for a bit of advice - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newbie just built a very low budget CNC router looking for a bit of advice

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: newbie just built a very low budget CNC router looking for a bit of advice

Quote Originally Posted by alanesq View Post
    BTW - I wasn't at all impressed with the DIY linear bearings I had made, but this morning I finally cracked how to set them up and have now changed to very impressed with them.
    Hi, congrats on the build, looks really good. A friend and I are in the very same situation and looking at a similar build, including the linear bearings. Could you please elaborate on what you said above about a better setup for your bearings? thanks.

Spike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: newbie just built a very low budget CNC router looking for a bit of advice

Quote Originally Posted by Spikes View Post
    Hi, congrats on the build, looks really good. A friend and I are in the very same situation and looking at a similar build, including the linear bearings. Could you please elaborate on what you said above about a better setup for your bearings? thanks.

Spike
    Hi,

As you can pick up bearings on ebay so cheap I don't think it really worth trying to make your own really.
    e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SBR12-600...sAAOSwu0hZca5G

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the quick reply. we're trying to build something quite longer (ie >1m) and the linear bearings for that size seem to be much more expensive (at least on ebay.com / us shipping). So using a similar solution to yours with a rail with 4 skate bearings seemed appealing, but maybe we're missing the point.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Spikes View Post
    thanks for the quick reply. we're trying to build something quite longer (ie >1m) and the linear bearings for that size seem to be much more expensive (at least on ebay.com / us shipping). So using a similar solution to yours with a rail with 4 skate bearings seemed appealing, but maybe we're missing the point.
    Hi,

I wish I had bought linear bearings when I built mine as I think it would have made the whole setup more rigid (and certainly much easier to build) although I have never had the opportunity to see the ebay bearings so it could be I would be disappointed if I had bought them?
    I ended up spending around £45 making my own bearings when I could have bought some for about £80......
    but as you say, if you want to make a bigger table then this may not be an option.

Actually I think my main mistake was using a single stepper motor for the Y axis, if I had one either side I think this would have taken out a lot of play. Also buying very cheap skate bearings proved to be a mistake as they were very poor quality and I had to replace them all.

With my router as it is I can cut out a 80mm circle which is accurate to within around 0.5mm but I find especially with a dull router bit (I tend to pay around £1 for them so this is pretty much all of them - lol) it can put steps in the cut as pressure moves from side to side on the cutter (e.g. if it cuts through a gap in the wood). But it is difficult for me to really give a good assessment of how well my bearings work as I have zero experience of any other cnc routers to compare it with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12