new guy here - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new guy here

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: new guy here

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBanned View Post
    Not only did it run that just fine but it did it without changing anything and showed me the picture.
    Now you know how your code needs to look like, that is a standard format that should run on any modern control, I checked and there are a list of Grbl user codes, there are some important ones missing, but for just engraving and mill it should work fine

What you need to do is find a cam program that the postprocessor will output the G code program just like I supplied for you, some cam programs you can adjust how the code is output by adjusting the postprocessor

At the very end of the program, you can add this to it, this will move your X or Y axes to anywhere you want it at the end of cutting, I did not know what travels your machine has so only gave the Z axes 1" or 25mm retract at the end of cutting, you can make this Z retract any number you like to clear any obstacle's before a X Y move

The cutter size for this 2" square was 1/4" so you could cut this part if you wanted to, Z axes Tool Zero would be to the top of the part, the cut is 1/4" deep 4 passes

End of program
    1X.1192Y.296
    G3Y.3808I-.0424J.0424
    G0Z1. ( this is where you retract your Z axes to where you want to clear your part )
    M5
    G53 X0Y0 ( This is where you can add any number in the X and Y Plus the G53) I would of had this in there but did not know if you control would except it, I know now that it does, so you can use the G53
    M30
    %

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the work space is 160mm x 100mm x 45mm. but id rather go by inches because thats what I grew up on so I rounded it to 6x4

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

so i guess i need a CAD/CAM program and start playing around, is there a free one that does both or do I need a separate CAD CAM?

Downloads
    Uploads

the work space is 160mm x 100mm x 45mm. but id rather go by inches because thats what I grew up on so I rounded it to 6x4
    If you program in inches then make sure you always have a G20 like in my program, if your machine and control is configured in inches then you don't need it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Fusion 360 is a professional CAD/CAM package. It's free to hobbyists. A bit of a learning curve, but there is a lot of online tutorials and support.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Fusion 360 is a professional CAD/CAM package. It's free to hobbyists. A bit of a learning curve, but there is a lot of online tutorials and support.
    It's not even close to a main stream ( professional ) cad/cam package, parametric modeling, is out dated and has been replaced, by direct modeling, but it is a good starting place for someone new and for hobby users

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

only a 30 day free trial than it cost a good amount. lets skip free and use a different word, "easy to learn" does inkscape seriously not work? I watched a youtube video and copied it step by step and it worked on his.

Downloads
    Uploads

only a 30 day free trial than it cost a good amount. lets skip free and use a different word, "easy to learn" does inkscape seriously not work? I watched a youtube video and copied it step by step and it worked on his.
    Fusion 360 is totally free of charge to students, hobbyists, and small businesses with less than 100K annual income..
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...usion-360.html

Inkscape....You have already generated G code with it, you just need the correct post processor for a GRBL machine. There should be a way to choose the post processor.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Fusion 360 is totally free of charge to students, hobbyists, and small businesses with less than 100K annual income..
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...usion-360.html

Inkscape....You have already generated G code with it, you just need the correct post processor for a GRBL machine. There should be a way to choose the post processor.

When I first opened fusion 360 it said "welcome to your 30 day free trial" I signed up as a student .

So I need to run my inkscape output through CAM software?

Downloads
    Uploads

When I first opened fusion 360 it said "welcome to your 30 day free trial" I signed up as a student .

So I need to run my inkscape output through CAM software?
    While you might be able to open it up in 360 as a backplot and re-post it, it's probably better to just save your Inkscape work as DXF, then open it in 360 to generate toolpaths. Or, just learn to draw in 360.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's not even close to a main stream ( professional ) cad/cam package
    The included CAM comes from HSM, which is a professional CAM package.

parametric modeling, is out dated and has been replaced, by direct modeling,
    Fusion 360 does both.

Help

Fusion 360 is not perfect, and may not be suitable in all professional applications. But it can do at least 90% of what other high end CAD/CAM packages can do, for free, or a fraction of the price.
    Tell us what's comparable, that hobbyists can afford?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The included CAM comes from HSM, which is a professional CAM package.

Fusion 360 does both.

Help

Fusion 360 is not perfect, and may not be suitable in all professional applications. But it can do at least 90% of what other high end CAD/CAM packages can do, for free, or a fraction of the price.
    Tell us what's comparable, that hobbyists can afford?
    At this point it is very juvenile compared to others that are main stream, I expect it will get better as time goes on, as for HSM it's never been that great either, but for free or even the $300 dollars per year, it's a good deal

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12