Cutting 1" thick aluminum on CNC - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting 1" thick aluminum on CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting 1" thick aluminum on CNC

You have indicated how the tools break but im still interested if there is any build up on the cutters? That could be an issue if you have rational feed rates and depth of cuts.

Recalculating feed rates might be in order to avoid a possible mistake where you have the cutter overloaded.

Speaking of feed rates, obviously you need to know the spindle speed fairly accurately. If you have one putting a tach on the spindle to verify RPMs to make sure you dont have RPMs grossly out of spec.

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess the OP is cutting with too aggressive speed and feed, on my side I can cut / engrave aluminum all day without breaking a tool bit

60mm thick cast aluminum with 1/8 carbide bit (manually sharpened single flute) three days of cutting aluminum thats the time it gets dull (resharpen and back again)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutting 1" thick aluminum on CNC-20170228_104103-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There was no wear on any cutter. All brand new. No wear after the fact. Didn't cut long enough to get wear/build up. I'm 99% confident breaking these bits had to do with the length of the cutter and how I was plunging.

KHOUJ - I was not cutting aggressively as I said in my post. I was cutting as conservative as possible. Also cast aluminum is a different material altogether. Could you please post your specs? What tool, speed, feed, DOC, length etc. It's great to know you aren't without issues. Could you let me know how?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_ View Post
    There was no wear on any cutter. All brand new. No wear after the fact. Didn't cut long enough to get wear/build up. I'm 99% confident breaking these bits had to do with the length of the cutter and how I was plunging. KHOUJ - I was not cutting aggressively as I said in my post. I was cutting as conservative as possible. Also cast aluminum is a different material altogether. Could you please post your specs? What tool, speed, feed, DOC, length etc. It's great to know you aren't without issues. Could you let me know how?
    Well then I guess the main issue on your tool bit snapping is your plunge speed, everytime a tool bit is plunged on the material you need to do it slowly, if you can program your CAM to do a 50mm/min on plunging then I guess you`re all right, you need also to research on your tool bit specifications, my machine specification is only a 6040 CNC router for wood, 1.5Kw watercooled spindle 24K RPM, my tool bit is just an ordinary carbide router bit 2 flute for wood, im quite good in manual machining (lathe, mill) so im familiar with the tool bit properties by just plunging it manually on the material itself, there`s no accurate data you can get when you cut metals (too many variables like strength of material,spindle speeds, etc,), the best way to do it is to manually plunge it and actually see where it`s limitations, that`s the time you can accurately find it`s optimum feeds and speeds, tool bit sharpening technique is also a factor, in my case im the one sharpening my bits or shaping it to my preference, I always run my spindle @ 24K rpm that`s why I need to alter the angle of the tip on my bit, too deep plunge will always snap the tool bit whether it`s a HSS or carbide, I like the carbide bits due to it`s toughness and will not easily get dull. I guess you can try manually controlling your CNC to find it`s optimum speed. to tell you the truth I can assemble an entire 1911 gun accurately piece by piece by just using a chinese wooden router and a wooden carbide tool bit (slides, lower receivers, trigger assembly)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutting 1" thick aluminum on CNC-20161210_113448-jpg   Cutting 1" thick aluminum on CNC-20161228_120941-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12