Is self leveling epoxy a must? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is self leveling epoxy a must?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is self leveling epoxy a must?

Im not a big fan of shims and believe me I've shimmed more than a few things in my lifetime. Ultimately you will end up with unsupported sections of rail.

As for epoxy leveling it is a fairly neat trick for the DIY market. Is it perfect - certainly not but nothing is perfect. Done right though you can level a fairly large area that would otherwise require access to a large mill or a willingness to engage in more labor intensive solutions. Contrast this with an axis, say a Z axis ( vertical) that can be machined on a bridgeport class mill. It is fairly easy to find a shop with decent rates for work on a small machine, around here you can often find Bridgeports sitting in local garages. The point here is that epoxy leveling became a go to solution becsuse it is a cost effective technique. Epoxy only looks expensive until you compare it to time on a mill lagre enough to handle an entire machine frame.

There are always alternatives though. For example many machine builders have large horizontal machines which can effectively handle one side of a frame. In a case like this you machine the two sides on the top for rail mounting and then bolt the together at the assembly location. You stiil need precision levels and such but you are onky working to get two fiat surfaces in the same plane. The frame is held together with lonontudinal members with everything bolted down once the two surfaces are coplanner. Obviously thought has to go into the machine design and frankly you need equipment to handle the large pieces. This is just one way to avoid Epoxy leveling if a bit expensive. You can frankly use the same technique with Epoxy leveled way areas, hand scraped solutions or whatever you come up with.

This is just a couple of ideas, there are many ways to avoid Epoxy and generate a high quality solution. Id just try to adopt those solutions that are likely to be triubke free and less time consumming.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is self leveling epoxy a must?

Don't forget that the epoxy will have a miniscus so you should have the dams wide enough to have it flat wider than you think you need.

Don't ask me how I know. You can guess.

Dib

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12