Newbie Where to start?

Thread: Where to start?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where to start?

Hello, I am new to cnc zone. I would like to build my own servo driven 5 axis cnc. I would rather avoid Mach 3 and stepper motors, if I will need to upgrade later. If I am new to this, what would be the best control to start with that can be versatile enough to handle more complex things later, so I don't have to re-learn a new control later. I understand the best would be Fanuc or Siemens, but what is the best "low cost" control that is still able to quickly handle complex 1000's of lines of code? Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Where to start?

LinuxCNC is is probably the most flexible of all controllers. It does have quite a learning curve though. I haven't used it myself, at least not yet, I'm not really a liunux guy. There's also a branch created by Tormach called PathPilot that I think has a little fancier interface, but may be harder to customize to your machine (I think?)
    Price is a wide range, the software itself is free, and you can use it on a basic PC with a parallel port, but to get high performace you'll need some motion control hardware.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ecpra View Post
    Hello, I am new to cnc zone. I would like to build my own servo driven 5 axis cnc.
    A 5 axis machine is a big jump above a 3 axis machine, I'm not sure I'd suggest that as a first build. This really depends upon experiences and resources, but if you are tool poor and lacking experience I'd suggest starting out with a 3 axis machine that three axis machine can be used to build parts for a 5 axis our to simply upgrade itself to 5 axis
    I would rather avoid Mach 3 and stepper motors, if I will need to upgrade later. If I am new to this, what would be the best control to start with that can be versatile enough to handle more complex things later, so I don't have to re-learn a new control later. I understand the best would be Fanuc or Siemens,
    The best is what fits your machining needs. Frankly the most important thing with respect to a machine tool build is access to good documentation. Having had to beg for documentation or search the back waters of the internet for docs, on some of the CNC machines I've come across over the years I now put a high priority on documentation. Even things like easy to obtain connectors is a big plus.
    but what is the best "low cost" control that is still able to quickly handle complex 1000's of lines of code? Thanks
    That is constantly changing. For instance Centroid has on offer new DIY solutions, some of which are very cost competitive right now. Your best bet is to search the internet and see what fits. LinuxCNC is an example of a compete open but complex solution. Beyond mentioning those though I can't really say what would be suggested for 5 axis control these days.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Re: Where to start?

Great help guys ! Thanks You.
    From what I have seen I think I will go with the Linuxcnc.
    I have a decent shop here with 4 cnc machines including a Haas vf3ss, so I have some tools and experience. I want to build this mostly just to say I did. It will likely never make any money.
    I want to start in the rite direction though and learn from other peoples mistakes instead of reinventing the wheel.
    Does anyone have "hardware" and breakout board recommendations that will work best with Linux. Also I see a lot of servo motor packages out there. Are there ones to avoid or others that people are happy with? Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mesa is the hardware of choice for LinuxCNC.

Sounds like your jumping the gun a bit here. Unless you have a 100% complete design of what you want to build, you really wouldn't have any idea of what type and size of servo motors you need.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Clearpath servos are popular right now. They're a good value and easy to use. They have the driver integrated into the motor.
    AC servos are considered to be the best. There are lots of options for more traditional (separate motor and driver,) and I'm not sure how they rank. If you're looking for a deal, they can be had on Ebay for cheap, but finding a matching motor, driver and cable set can be a challenge. I've been acquiring Delta ASDA-A2 drivers and ECMA motors as I got a good deal on a couple complete sets a while back, the A2 drivers have direct USB connection for tuning (most older drevers require proprietary adapters,) and I'd like to stick to one system (common tuning software.)

As Gerry said though, picking servos typically should come after you've figured out the masses, forces, speeds, drive methods, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Having built your five axis machine,what software do you propose to use to generate the toolpath?A good CAM system and custom post processor,which will be obligatory with a homebrew machine,will be quite an expense.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fusion 360 Ultimate is free if you aren't bringing in $100k/yr. It does 5 axis (not sure how good it is as it's pretty new.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    Fusion 360 Ultimate is free if you aren't bringing in $100k/yr. It does 5 axis (not sure how good it is as it's pretty new.)
    So I have read on numerous forums.My question remains-how does it operate in your favour without a custom post processor containing your machine's parameters?

Downloads
    Uploads

Editing the post isn't too hard, it's a fairly intuitive format I think (I've never touched it myself.) Shouldn't be too many things different than posts that are available.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ecpra View Post
    Great help guys ! Thanks You.
    From what I have seen I think I will go with the Linuxcnc.
    I have a decent shop here with 4 cnc machines including a Haas vf3ss, so I have some tools and experience.
    That is an important detail. With a good design it makes a 5 axis first build far more likely to succeed.
    I want to build this mostly just to say I did. It will likely never make any money.
    You would be surprised even low end 3 axis machines have been known to make money.
    I want to start in the rite direction though and learn from other peoples mistakes instead of reinventing the wheel.
    Does anyone have "hardware" and breakout board recommendations that will work best with Linux. Also I see a lot of servo motor packages out there. Are there ones to avoid or others that people are happy with? Thanks again.
    This link might help: LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: LinuxCNC Supported Hardware