Need Help! Teaching CAD/CAM to the poor in The Philippines - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teaching CAD/CAM to the poor in The Philippines

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Teaching CAD/CAM to the poor in The Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Well class room study is always a challenge, however im a strong believer in the basics and understanding what is going on under the hood so to speak. In most cases that doesn't have to be in-depth knowledge and frankly these days that stuff can be taught on a computer just as well as pencil and paper.

What im trying to get at is that you want students to leave your program with more than superficial knowledge of CAD/CAM. Also CNC technologies are not just for the machining industries, understanding CNC technology is an allied field of CAD/CAM. CNC controllers can be used for all sorts of things that aren't metal removal related. The better their understanding of the underlying tech the more jobs that will be open to them as students.

Beyond that you can benefit greatly in this field by being able to do simple math in your head or at least be able to leverage a calculator quickly. This is mostly an issue of practice but math needs to be part of the program at least up to trigonometry. Now obviously CAD/CAM significantly changes how and where you would need to do math manually. However even in a CNC shop you can get involved in manual layouts and maybe more so in a fabrication shop. To put it another way, ones opportunities are extremely limited without the basic math skills required by the craft.

So yeah classes that might seem to be boring are very important.
    Thank you for your two replies. Your points have given me plenty to think about.

There are many hurdles and constraints in this proposed project, and it most certainly will not be anything like what one would expect the west. I will try to explain our constraints and differences.

1/ We are in a rural part of The Philippines, 100km south of super typhoon Haiyan's devastation 4 years ago yesterday.

2/ We are a small charity that was set up by myself and my wife following Haiyan. We rely on donations from around the world and we have no state funding. We have partners who sponsor each project we do. For instance, two weeks ago, we opened a soup kitchen for 25 malnourished children in a small village nearby. This is sponsored by a group in Ireland, and is expected to last 12 months at least.

3/ Volunteers: Our charity consists of a board of trustees and directors. We are all 100% volunteers. We do not even take money for expenses. Our only expenses is our yearly audited accounts, which our accountant (friend) does for about $200. Our attorney (friend) charged us nothing for the setting up of our non-stock, non-profit incorporation. The advantage of being registered are that we get free stuff, and double donations. It has enabled us to register with Benevity and Techsoup.

4/ Time: This project would not be full time as I run a small business and am building a house at present. At first I would be on my own, with the hope that some volunteers would help later on.

5/ Me: Software: Proficient at computers and a quick learner of most programs. I do not see any problems with me learning Fusion 360, after spending a few hours at it.
    ...........Mechanical: Although I am not wonderful when it come to metal, I am however a qualified carpenter/joiner from the 70's. Of course I have another 'friend' who is not much good at wood, but very good with metal. He will do any metal work I need for free.

6/ Funding: We do not actually have one peso of funding that is directly allocated to this project as of today. However we have one partner in Germany who is keen for us to do an computer related education program. Although not confirmed as I write, I think the initial budget will be 2,000 - 3,000 euro. In order to get funding, we need to have a proposed outline of the program itself. Having said that, this partner trusts me 100% and we met on one of our projects in north Leyte shortly after the super-typhoon

So bearing in mind the above conditions, we want to do a general understanding course in CAD/CAM & CNC mill. I would like to bring the students in on the building of the machine whilst we are learning the CAD/CAM. If we have a particularity bright student, we may be able to secure a mechanical engineering scholarship for him/her in one of the big cities. There is also a possibility down the line, that our students can make some money for their families as a livelihood program.

So my first thing would be to find a premises at nominal rent, put together 6 or 7 computer stations, install Fusion 360 only, and start teaching CAD followed by CAM. Autodesk has a huge knowledge network for the training of students. They have given me an email of a dedicated person to contact if in need of help. There is also lots of independent help and videos online for Fusion 360.

Then, there is the building of the router. Maybe we will build it from scratch over a period and make that part of the learning curve of both the students and myself. I could by the carriageways, bearing blocks and ball screws. The machine could be built around their size. Rather than use plans, I would like to build from my head, starting with making a perfectly accurate gantry from steel (Well my friend will do that).

Irish Chippy Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9au5WqhB_BQUcEn-VCMHaw?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the detail.

Quote Originally Posted by StarApple View Post
    Thank you for your two replies. Your points have given me plenty to think about.

There are many hurdles and constraints in this proposed project, and it most certainly will not be anything like what one would expect the west. I will try to explain our constraints and differences.

1/ We are in a rural part of The Philippines, 100km south of super typhoon Haiyan's devastation 4 years ago yesterday.

2/ We are a small charity that was set up by myself and my wife following Haiyan. We rely on donations from around the world and we have no state funding. We have partners who sponsor each project we do. For instance, two weeks ago, we opened a soup kitchen for 25 malnourished children in a small village nearby. This is sponsored by a group in Ireland, and is expected to last 12 months at least.

3/ Volunteers: Our charity consists of a board of trustees and directors. We are all 100% volunteers. We do not even take money for expenses. Our only expenses is our yearly audited accounts, which our accountant (friend) does for about $200. Our attorney (friend) charged us nothing for the setting up of our non-stock, non-profit incorporation. The advantage of being registered are that we get free stuff, and double donations. It has enabled us to register with Benevity and Techsoup.

4/ Time: This project would not be full time as I run a small business and am building a house at present. At first I would be on my own, with the hope that some volunteers would help later on.
    This might be a problem!!! Even if you only run a CAD program it will take lots of energy. Beyond that there is likely to be a need for much remedial learning, which depends on how good the local primary education is. It is pretty hard to teach CAD/CAM in a vacuum. I'd like to think that you would want balance education here.
    5/ Me: Software: Proficient at computers and a quick learner of most programs. I do not see any problems with me learning Fusion 360, after spending a few hours at it.
    ...........Mechanical: Although I am not wonderful when it come to metal, I am however a qualified carpenter/joiner from the 70's. Of course I have another 'friend' who is not much good at wood, but very good with metal. He will do any metal work I need for free.
    I don't have much experience with Fusion 360 mainly because I don't like how it is licensed and the need to call home all the time. In any event I really think it is bit silly to try to teach Fusion 360 without first getting a bit of formal training yourself. This is from personal experience attending seminars where the people up front clearly didn't know what they where trying to teach. You really want to be able to display a high degree of confidence and a depth of knowledge with respect to the software.

The other problem I have is a focus too much on one application. It is highly probably that a student will find himself working someplace where other CAD/CAM solutions are in use. At the very least they need to be exposed to the idea that there are many solutions out there, some of them industry specific. You could limit yourself to running Fusion 360 seminars, but that isn't a board education that really prepares your students for the job market.
    6/ Funding: We do not actually have one peso of funding that is directly allocated to this project as of today. However we have one partner in Germany who is keen for us to do an computer related education program. Although not confirmed as I write, I think the initial budget will be 2,000 - 3,000 euro. In order to get funding, we need to have a proposed outline of the program itself. Having said that, this partner trusts me 100% and we met on one of our projects in north Leyte shortly after the super-typhoon
    I really don't see how $3000 euros would even get you started. This especially if you have no computing hardware, no machines to run jobs against and no facilities.

Frankly you could do much training with the software running code against simulators, but seeing your project run on a real CNC machine would be far more inspiring to your students. If you are limited for time though trying to run machining hardware amounts to another class to teach. Remember, it often the case that the machinist is a separate occupation from the guy doing the CAD/CAM work. Not always of course but there is a significant amount of education required to do either job well.
    So bearing in mind the above conditions, we want to do a general understanding course in CAD/CAM & CNC mill. I would like to bring the students in on the building of the machine whilst we are learning the CAD/CAM. If we have a particularity bright student, we may be able to secure a mechanical engineering scholarship for him/her in one of the big cities. There is also a possibility down the line, that our students can make some money for their families as a livelihood program.
    Yeah I understand what you want to do, but from my perspective that is two different courses. It takes a significant amount of time to become comfortable with just the CAD end of the process and then you have to add on the CAM technologies. We are talking months here to get students proficient to the point that they would be offered a job someplace. Beyond that integrated CAD/CAM is somewhat new, you want to expose student to the idea that CAD and CAM often are completely separate packages sometimes from completely different vendors. I still have this feeling that focusing on Fusion 360 is doing them (your students) a disservice. That isn't to knock Fusion 360 by the way as many people seem to like it a lot, it is just the idea that your students will likely get stuck with what ever the company they are working has available.
    So my first thing would be to find a premises at nominal rent, put together 6 or 7 computer stations, install Fusion 360 only, and start teaching CAD followed by CAM. Autodesk has a huge knowledge network for the training of students. They have given me an email of a dedicated person to contact if in need of help. There is also lots of independent help and videos online for Fusion 360.
    I'd strongly recommend attending a few Autodesk seminars or more involved classes. You need to prepare yourself first to get an understanding of what your program should look like and develop a strong understanding of the tools to be used. A local community college has a drafting and computer aided design certificate program that takes a year to complete, that should give you a time frame for the design / drafting side of things. Not no CAM and no machines in this program form what I can see.

In the end it comes down to what potential employers will accept. I just don't see a couple of weeks of education focused only on Fusion 360as cutting it. The simple fact is math is important in a shop and an employer would want to have confidence that shop math won't be a problem. Then you have the issue of understanding what machine components and their functionality is all about.
    Then, there is the building of the router. Maybe we will build it from scratch over a period and make that part of the learning curve of both the students and myself. I could by the carriageways, bearing blocks and ball screws. The machine could be built around their size. Rather than use plans, I would like to build from my head, starting with making a perfectly accurate gantry from steel (Well my friend will do that).
    Well I'm a big fan of learning by doing so the idea of student building a router is not bad at all in my mind. The problem of course is getting the funds together to build one and of course the materials to build one. I'm not sure how difficult getting materials in your corner of the world is. The problem is even a small machine could end up blowing a good portion of your budget.

Going small is a good idea here, a 12" square work space would be plenty for education and frankly for many interesting projects. For educational purposes you could build most of the machine out of wood but I'm not sure at all how the tropical weather would impact such a machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you again for your thorough answers and observations.

Firstly, the students will have already left high school. Trying to teach students still attending high school is fraught with red tape over here. I had planned to teach 12-16 yo's phython and robotics on raspberry pi's this year, but there were just too many problems with the system. I had to abandon it, but luckily we had spent no money, just a few hundred hours of my time. It is a long story, but the way round this is to teach skills as a workshop group to those not attending school.

I do not think I need to get formal training in fusion 360 to be able to teach it. There are huge teaching resources online for Fusion 360. Maybe I am selling myself short to you, but I have had no formal education since I was a teen, but yet mange to learn lots of things.
    I really don't see how $3000 euros would even get you started. This especially if you have no computing hardware, no machines to run jobs against and no facilities.
    I do agree that 3,000 euro is not a lot, but it will certainly get the classes up and running. 6 x PC's = 1,200 euro. 6 x WIN10 pro = $60 (already have). 11 student licences for Fusion 360 = 0. Router, switch, UPS, cabling, chairs, tables, printer, a few reams of paper, ink etc 300 euro. We have then got 1,500 euro to buy a cnc machine. The facilities will take a bit of working on, but am sure we will get a small place.
    I still have this feeling that focusing on
    Fusion 360 is doing them (your students) a disservice. That isn't to knock Fusion 360 by the way as many people seem to like it a lot, it is just the idea that your students will likely get stuck with what ever the company they are working has available.
    We have to teach them some CAD/CAM software, and we have chosen Fusion 360. It is very popular and easy to use with great support.
    Going small is a good idea here, a 12" square work space would be plenty for education and frankly for many interesting projects.
    We are also thinking along those lines or a part build. Fully built Omio's look tempting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by StarApple View Post
    If you have Fusion360 the most obvious thing to do first, and it would be a great learning experience you can pass to the students, is actually design the machine in Fusion360. Most companies have free 3D CAD libraries for their components.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    If you have Fusion360 the most obvious thing to do first, and it would be a great learning experience you can pass to the students, is actually design the machine in Fusion360. Most companies have free 3D CAD libraries for their components.
    Thank you Louie. Fusion 360 has a library of components like machined screws etc etc
    After a few hours of playing around I was able to make objects fit together etc.
    There teacher/student online part allows sharing within our group.

Downloads
    Uploads

After a few hours in the CAM part, I was able to simulate the engraving of my daughters name. Yeeeeeeeeeee

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaching CAD/CAM to the poor in The Philippines-lan_tel_layout-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

... I still have this feeling that focusing on Fusion 360 is doing them (your students) a disservice. That isn't to knock Fusion 360 by the way as many people seem to like it a lot, it is just the idea that your students will likely get stuck with what ever the company they are working has available. ...
    I don't agree with that as the purpose of F360 would be to teach CAD fundamentals concepts. Once they know the basics this knowledge can easily be applied to another (more complete) solution. F360 is a means, not the end. Think of it as a tool.

I first learned Solidworks, then switched to F360 and now I'm planning on learning Inventor. The learning time is shorter each time as I know the basics.

Downloads
    Uploads

Beyond that integrated CAD/CAM is somewhat new, you want to expose student to the idea that CAD and CAM often are completely separate packages sometimes from completely different vendors.
    Integrated CAD/CAM has been around for at least 10-15 years, probably much longer in higher end market.

I still have this feeling that focusing on Fusion 360 is doing them (your students) a disservice.
    At the end of the day, CAD is CAD, to some extent. If you learn Fusion, you can jump into SW or Inventor (or any other parametric modeler) pretty easily, as they all work the same way.

Now, 2D CAD is another animal. And 2D CAD is used heavily in the construction industries, and in woodworking CNC applications. Solid AutoCAD skills are still very much in demand in some industries. So a free clone like Draftsight is another good option.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post

I first learned Solidworks, then switched to F360 and now I'm planning on learning Inventor. The learning time is shorter each time as I know the basics.
    I am self thought on sketchup, and of course, find it easier than CAD beginers

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Integrated CAD/CAM has been around for at least 10-15 years, probably much longer in higher end market.

At the end of the day, CAD is CAD, to some extent. If you learn Fusion, you can jump into SW or Inventor (or any other parametric modeler) pretty easily, as they all work the same way.

Now, 2D CAD is another animal. And 2D CAD is used heavily in the construction industries, and in woodworking CNC applications. Solid AutoCAD skills are still very much in demand in some industries. So a free clone like Draftsight is another good option.
    Exactly what I was thinking, Gerry. The migration from F360 to Solidworks or vice-versa should not be a big deal, and definitely not a deal breaker for our program.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    I don't agree with that as the purpose of F360 would be to teach CAD fundamentals concepts. Once they know the basics this knowledge can easily be applied to another (more complete) solution. F360 is a means, not the end. Think of it as a tool.
    Yeah I understand that we are teaching the fundamentals but CAD covers a wide array of technologies. People still use 2D systems which is worlds away from how some solid modeling systems work. A good CAD program should cover multiple technologies. Otherwise one might as well call the program a Fusion 360 event.
    Yes this is to be expected. I guess it comes down to me favoring a broader education.

This can be likened a bit to programing PLC's. They all are basically the same, however the details are important and thus you really need formal education (generally a manufactures seminar), to really leverage their hardware.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

Thus somewhat new! I had to laugh a bit here because some of my first education with respect to engineering drawing was done on pencil and paper, even the colleges didn't have what we would call a modern CAD system. That may be aging myself but to me these integrated solutions, especially affordable ones, are the new kid on the block to me.
    Yep still heavily in use.

By the way I might not have come off sounding right here, I didn't mean to imply that everyone in the program needs to become an expert in all these systems. What I was getting at was the need to exposes students to what one would likely find in industry. This is especially important if the students have no exposure to these technologies at all.

To look at it another way, what if the program was called an introduction to CAD/CAM technologies? Spend a week just introducing students to the history and broad library of software out there that aids in machine design. At least you won't leave students the the impression that Fusion 360 is all there is. This doesn't even get into specialized CAD software out there for say optics. Computer Aided Design (CAD) actually encompasses a wide range of technologies with mechanical design being probably the biggest part of the CAD world. I just see it as a good thing to leave the students with a broader understanding of what CAD is.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thus somewhat new! I had to laugh a bit here because some of my first education with respect to engineering drawing was done on pencil and paper, even the colleges didn't have what we would call a modern CAD system. That may be aging myself but to me these integrated solutions, especially affordable ones, are the new kid on the block to me.

Yep still heavily in use.

By the way I might not have come off sounding right here, I didn't mean to imply that everyone in the program needs to become an expert in all these systems. What I was getting at was the need to exposes students to what one would likely find in industry. This is especially important if the students have no exposure to these technologies at all.

To look at it another way, what if the program was called an introduction to CAD/CAM technologies? Spend a week just introducing students to the history and broad library of software out there that aids in machine design. At least you won't leave students the the impression that Fusion 360 is all there is. This doesn't even get into specialized CAD software out there for say optics. Computer Aided Design (CAD) actually encompasses a wide range of technologies with mechanical design being probably the biggest part of the CAD world. I just see it as a good thing to leave the students with a broader understanding of what CAD is.
    I will have a total different approach. I will have them drawing a solid block with extrusions on the first CAD class. Then I will move over and back to the history, the fundamentals, and a lot of the boring stuff. I am not a boring person
    As there will be only maybe 10 hours per week on 2 batches of 5 students (20 hours for me), it will be very one on one. Above all, It will not be boring. It cannot be boring if it is to succeed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I understand that we are teaching the fundamentals but CAD covers a wide array of technologies. People still use 2D systems which is worlds away from how some solid modeling systems work. A good CAD program should cover multiple technologies. Otherwise one might as well call the program a Fusion 360 event.

Yes this is to be expected. I guess it comes down to me favoring a broader education.

This can be likened a bit to programing PLC's. They all are basically the same, however the details are important and thus you really need formal education (generally a manufactures seminar), to really leverage their hardware.
    It's not like you can't do 2D on Fusion 360. And it's not like you can't implement the CAD side for other manufacturing sectors. It just happens to be free and accessible. Also in the Philippines it's not like they live under a bubble. You have to start somewhere, not overwhelm with too much information at once. Once you learn the skills with one software, you learn to apply your knowledge to different software, not overload the brain.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hopefully you can access this website there:

TITANS of CNC: Academy
    Some great resources for designing and machining

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Hopefully you can access this website there:

TITANS of CNC: Academy
    Some great resources for designing and machining
    Yes Louie, I registered with them. Looks like a gold mine of information there, which I will look into later. Thank you for the link

I am watching a few videos from Lars Christensen atm. The loud New Yaulk accent sure stops you from dozing off, but the content of the videos are very good and easy to follow.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you're trying to start out with way too much information overload, especially for new students.

Start with the bare minimum basics, like manually creating gcode in text files to jog the machine and make basic shapes. Believe me, this will impress every student when they figure out they can make a machine do whatever they want from plain text. They'll be amazed at the possibilities.

All CAD is doing is writing text files, they're just more complex text files which should be part of an advanced course, not the starting point.

I started out years ago reading and writing gcode for a Siemens 840D 5-axis directly at the machine. This taught me a lot about G code, I also learned the proprietary M codes this way, tool changes, etc...

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    I think you're trying to start out with way too much information overload, especially for new students.

Start with the bare minimum basics, like manually creating gcode in text files to jog the machine and make basic shapes. Believe me, this will impress every student when they figure out they can make a machine do whatever they want from plain text. They'll be amazed at the possibilities.

All CAD is doing is writing text files, they're just more complex text files which should be part of an advanced course, not the starting point.

I started out years ago reading and writing gcode for a Siemens 840D 5-axis directly at the machine. This taught me a lot about G code, I also learned the proprietary M codes this way, tool changes, etc...
    Don't worry Switcher, this is for me, so I can get few months ahead before starting, and plan my course.
    Besides a brief explanation of cnc and cam, I will be concentrating on making them proficient in CAD first. I may give them a teaser just to show how CAD can be made into CAM and thus making the object we drew (CAM simulated until we get our machine).
    I have no intention of teaching them manual G code in the begining. After all, we may not even have a machine at the startup. I think you may not understand that this is rural Philippines. None of our students will have a PC or laptop at home.
    It is very hard to explain to those not living here, or those who have never lived anywhere other than a fully developed country.

Downloads
    Uploads

Switcher, where you been for the last 5 years? Or has it been 10? Good to have you back, man.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

You can't teach people to fish with a very complicated bait setup.

YOu have to make it simple so they can set the hook very soon.

You can set the hook with them by letting them write a line of Gcode and seeing the machine MOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast