Calibration vs milling

Thread: Calibration vs milling

Default Calibration vs milling

hello,

i recently built a diy router and then i calibrated all axes 100 times... but i m still having a problem. when i calibrate using a 50cm ruler everything works fine. when i am cutting wood i m out about 1 or 2 mm. tried another post processor, other mach3 settings, and many other things. nothing worked. any suggestions anyone?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Calibration vs milling

Check for

1 - flex in the axes. You won't see it when jogging because there are no cutting forces
    2 - semi-loose couplers. Same as above
    3 - try changing cut direction. Climb tends to push the tool away from the cut line, and conventional the opposite.
    4 - check tool size. It may not be what you set it in CAM

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Calibration vs milling

When you say you are off by 1mm is this measurement taken with the same ruler?

In my view you are using the wrong tools to calibrate the axis so you are off on the wrong leg right from the start. A good long stroke dial gage would be a start to getting better results. Also doing something a 100 times does nothing for you if done wrong each time or you have other issues with the machine. In any event "rulers" can easily be off by a mm compared to precision measuring equipment.

A dial gage can do wonders for diagnosing your problem too. The first thing to verify is if the problem shows up on both the X and Y. If you don't have precision tools id return your setting to calculated values for the leadscrew and motor combo. This should give you more accuracy than can be achieved with a common ruler. If the error is still huge id look for mechanical problems.