Electronics suggestion for first CNC

Thread: Electronics suggestion for first CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Electronics suggestion for first CNC

Hi there!

Looking into building a CNC based on this frame: https://www.sorotec.de/shop/Portal-m...-0403-DIY.html

This will be my first CNC, wondering what drivers, steppers, inverter and so on I'll have to use. Not looking into anything top of the line, just something that will get the machine working reliably. USB connection preferred.
    Thinking about using an Elte 1KW spindle.

Any suggestion on the remaining parts? I'm located in Italy.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Electronics suggestion for first CNC

That linked machine is pretty impressive after a quick once over! Nice find.

As for your questions that is a bit harder to answer as there is rapid changes going on within the hobby. I would point out though that USB can be a problem when it comes to realtime control you generally want to look for a card that does the motion control locally. Any discussions like this also depends upon which way you want to go with your software.

For example a very low end machine can be done with an Arduino controller and GRBL. For something really new on the market there is the MASSO that user MSimpson99 has been reviewing in a thread in this forum. There is a whole bunch of stuff that fits in-between these solutions. Also of very high interests is the Acorn controller from Centroid an old supplier of main line CNC controllers. So just selecting a controller for the CNC machine is a rather involved process and depends significantly upon software selection.

As for steppers you have a smallish machine here that probably can get buy with steppers in the range of 300 to 500 oz/in of torque. Assuming you have size 23 mounts this shouldn't be a problem. However the vendor seems to have a full line of components so you might ask them what the machine is designed to handle. Drivers of course should be sized for your steppers.

You are not in the USA from what I can see so I'm not familiar with the power available wherever you are. Generally if you want a portable machine that can plug into a wall outlet you need to consider the power the wall outlet can supply. That should be available as a wattage value of a volt/amps number. I would suggest the largest spindle that keeps you under the max power draw the outlet can supply. Note the spindles power needs to be summed with all the other power being used in the machine (steppers, CPU' and other electronics).

Have to run but this should get you started.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you don't mind tinkering a bit, GRBL is dirt cheap and have the basic but no fancy stuff like canned cycle, tool compensation, 4th or 5th axis etc.
    Edit: With the latest GRBL version and bCNC it is now possible to do basic canned cycle. I'm not familiar with canned cycle but I've seen that we can now use G81 to drill holes.

If you only need something simple, it does a great job. With a good GUI like bCNC, it can do plenty of cool stuff like tool change in the middle of a program, increase or decrease feed and spindle speed during a job.

If you want a USB connection, there's also planet CNC, UCCNC UC300 but I never worked with these.

I can attest to the GRBL solution. It's working just fine for me with an Arduino Uno controller to 4 drivers (two Y drivers hooked up to the single Y on the Arduino). But then, I'm a light weight compared to some of the other CNC operators on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    If you don't mind tinkering a bit, GRBL is dirt cheap and have the basic but no fancy stuff like canned cycle, tool compensation, 4th or 5th axis etc.
    Edit: With the latest GRBL version and bCNC it is now possible to do basic canned cycle. I'm not familiar with canned cycle but I've seen that we can now use G81 to drill holes.

If you only need something simple, it does a great job. With a good GUI like bCNC, it can do plenty of cool stuff like tool change in the middle of a program, increase or decrease feed and spindle speed during a job.

If you want a USB connection, there's also planet CNC, UCCNC UC300 but I never worked with these.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

If you are able to handle a soldering iron and do some basic electronics I would go with these motors 1pc COOL MUSCLE Servo Motor CM1-C-23L20A/CM1-P-23L20A | eBay

Dirt cheap NEMA23 integrated servos, I have them on my machine and am very happy with them, make sure you order the CM1-P-23L20 not the C!, The pulse version.
    No lost steps, runs silk smooth compared to steppers, very high resolution up to 50,000 steps per revolution, no stepper drivers needed, Just Step-Dir from your BOB going straight to the motors.

If you need more information just let me know.

Kind regards,

Rob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats a small machine
    Youd be ok with

270oz in or more Nema 23's. 4mH or less inductance. About 25$ a pop
    36V PSU around 50$
    TB6600 Drivers (singles, not a control board) 45$ for 5
    Arduino Uno OR a mach 3 Break out board. Uno is more user friendly (Get a screw terminal shield too for 6$!)

Luthier/Woodworker/Machinist in NS, Canada.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    I am just registred, and i hope i will get your help and advices.
    It's an old discussion, but i am very interested to have information on driver card reference compatible with Cool Muscle motor CM1-C-23L20A.
    I would like use 3 motors in my cnc with Mach3.

If possible tell me where i can order such driver and cables etc...

Thak you by advance
    Best regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Dear RObbie,

I hope you are fine and in good health by this hard time.

I am just registred and interested by your post about Muscle CM1-P-23L20 and CM1-C-23L20.

Unfortunately i have 3 type C and not P type of this motor.
    If my understading is good, i can't use my type C motors with Mach3.
    Only type P can be used.

If it's the case, i am really disappointed. My project is to use these motors for a home build cnc with Mach3.

Have an idea if a solution exist, by using the good driver or any other solution.

I hope will receive your help and advices to solve my problem.
    Thank you by advance

Abder

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Omrabder,
    In order to change the motor from a C-type to a P-type, send the motor the following commands in the following order:

W=526
    K16=0

After that last command, the motor should power itself down and back up. It should then be recognized as a P-type motor.

What firmware version does your motors have?

Kind regards,
    Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Bonsoir Robbie,

Je suis vraiment heureux d'apprendre qu'il y'a un espoir d'utiliser ces moteurs.
    Je vous remercie beaucoup.

Je ne sais pas vraiment ce que veut dire la version du firmware des moteurs. Je vais vous donner toutes les indications accessibles sur le moteur.
    en plus de CM1-C -23L20A il y'a KH56QM28048 identique sur les 3 moteurs.

Il y'a aussi un autre numéro mais qui est différent d'un moteur à un autre:
    0611A00451, 0610A00394 et 0610A00181

J'espère que ces informations répondent à votre question.

Pour votre information, jusqu'à maintenant je n'ai pas réussi a trouver les cables pour faire le cablage entre le moteur, le PC et l'alimentation.

Mon PC est vieux avec Windows XP qui a des interface série et parallèle et aussi USB.

Si vous avez une idée sur les cables que je dois commander et où je peux les acheter je serais très content car Il n'ya pas de fournisseur en France.

Merci beaucoup vous m'avez donnez de l'espoir.

Mes meilleures salutations
    Abder

Downloads
    Uploads

Again in English please.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Robbie,

Thank you very much.
    I am really happy to hear that there is hope to use these engines.

The firmware version of the engines means?
    I will give you all the accessible indications on the engine.
    CM1-C -23L20A KH56QM28048? I hope will correspond to your request!

I ordered this morning Y cable for the connection between the engine, the PC and power supply.

By waiting the delivery of the cable, I will load the software from Muscle corporation to see how it works.
    I will take you informed soon on my progress.

Thank you my Friend for your Help and your Kind Cooperation.

Best regards
    Abder

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    I am sorry, forgot to swich google language.
    I will resend you nearly english version

Thank you