MASSO and the KRMx02 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MASSO and the KRMx02

Default Re: MASSO and the KRMx02

I plan on writing up these observations at the end of the series. Most of it is workflow and lack of control.

One thing, is the program-ability of Mach3. I can change just about any function with code. I can write macros and assign them to buttons, keys, or even to functions on MPGs or other jog controllers. I have a long list t

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like it allows MS visual basic.

I am an old VB/C#/C++ and Assembly Language programmer from way back.

One real cool thing is that SheetCAM can link up with Mach3. I have a PC, and one of my KRMx02 machines converted to plasma. I can design a part Bring the drawing up in SheetCAM and add my paths and rules, and in a single button have my KRMx02 making a plasma cut part. If I dont like the cut, I an go back to sheetcam change a setting and do the run again. Do cant get closer to one button machining than that.

Vectric CAM software allows you to do this as well, but Sheetcam has two way communications with Mach3. If jog the machine the cursor will change in SheetCAM.

I wont even get into Mach3 Brains.

Something I like with the MASSO is the ability to wire a button that will load a particular gcode file and run it. I will probably setup a whole sequence of probe operations with this.

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    I am an old VB/C#/C++ and Assembly Language programmer from way back...
    Pretty cool. You're kind of making me think of something. As a related tangent, I sell Okuma CNC machines for a living https://www.okuma.com/americas. To my knowledge, Okuma is the only [commercial] CNC machine with an API on its control. Its open, freely available, and if you know VB you can write your own apps for the control that can access literally anything you would ever want in the machine. I'll give you some examples of what this has allowed us to do.

1. One customer of mine makes racing pistons for the aftermarket hot rod business. This is on a 7 axis lathe. They take internet orders of custom pistons, download the order into the control, and the Okuma app + API will reconfigure an NC program and make the piston, customized by the customer's selection. Literally infinite possible NC programs written on the fly from an internet order, often making pistons of configurations never made before.

2. Some customers use barcodes on their travelers throughout their shop as the material goes from op to op, generated by their customer's orders. We plug in barcode laser scanners in the machine, and with an app, scan the incoming traveler and it automatically calls up the right program, generates different permissions on the control, begins tool life management macros, sends an email to whoever that the process has begun, and logs it into the ERP system.

3. Similar to above barcode thing, we generate permission levels for operators, with varying degrees of access based on the customer's needs. This is tied to an employee badge. When an operator "signs in" to a machine, depending on the permission level set, s/he has reduced access to editing functions, offsets can only be made by certain (small) increments, etc literally anything you want.

4. Completely tie the machine into a factory information system, integrated with robots, auto feedback gauging, etc.

Sounds like mach3 has lots of this ability. But I still like that Masso! As an ex operator, it looks much more friendly to me and what I'm accustomed to seeing as a setup person. For that matter, so does UCCNC.

I just got one of my VFDs connected to the MASSO.

MASSO and the KRMx02-_mg_8443-jpg

The writeup is posted here:
    MASSO and VFD — Kronos Robotics

Downloads
    Uploads

I just bought a Masso that I want to build a cnc lathe, I can't got my stepper motors to run. Need help thanks Jim-Mich

Do you have an Estop connected? A working Estop is required. And it must be cycled once you power up the MASSO. Most motor drivers have some sort of enable/disable. Other than that its hard to even start helping you with the information you have provided. Might be a better idea to go over to the lathe forum.

One obvious question, but I have to ask. You know the masso does not have motor drivers. It does much like a PC would, sending signals to the motor driver.

If you check out my writeup on hooking the MASSO to a G540 driver and my KRMx02 it might help.
    MASSO Introduction — Kronos Robotics

Downloads
    Uploads

I am using Wanti DQ860ma drivers.Do I need to run 5 volt line from masso controller to the enable port on driver? If so where on the masso do I get the 5volts? When I power up the stepper motor clunks and has holding torq but motor won't jog. Thank for answering.

The MASSO does not provide 5V. If your driver needs a 5v enable then you will have to provide that. The MASSO can activate a relay that will enable or disable the drivers.

You can also use a cheap buck converter to drop the supply voltage of the MASSO down to 5v. I have links on my write up.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your drives are holding the motors, then they ARE enabled.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have concluded my KRMx02 and MASSO testing.

In a nutshell I found the MASSO to be a viable option for use with the KRMx02 but not without some caveats.

See the full write-up here:
    MASSO Conclusion — Kronos Robotics

I thought important to add an update to my KRMx02 and MASSO write-up.

Originally I had given my approval to the use of the MASSO with the KRMx02 CNC while testing on my milling machine CNC, A few things came to light and I can no longer recomend the MASSO for use with the KRMx02 or any machine using R&P drives.

Here is my write-up why:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    The MASSO has some underlying resolution issues when dealing with machines that have a lower step to distance ratio. This means that systems with a R&P drives or 5 or 8 start screws are going to have problems.

Originally the problems manifested its self by the Gcode going south while running a job. The folks at HTG, fixed this for the most part, but it is manifesting its self in other ways.

After connecting my MASSO to my krmc01 milling machine, I connected my MPG to the MASSSO and while the masso did add extra steps they were only on the X1 and X10 resolutions, and then not as frequent. On the KRMx02, much more extra steps on the X10 and X100 resolution. On the X1 resolution the MASSO misses about 90% of the steps. This only leads me to believe there is still a fundamental issue with the step to distance ratio. Also note that this happens if the machine is setup in inches or mm.

Bottom Line, the MASSO is not a good fit for the KRMx02 CNC or any CNC that is using a R&B drive, or 5 or 8 start screws. Note that I am using a Gecko G540 and this has a fixed micro-stepping of 10-1. If you are running a 16-1 motor driver, you may be able to get away with a 5 start screw.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that there were other issues with the MASSO as well, but this one is the straw that broke the camels back. here is my final write-up:
    MASSO Conclusion — Kronos Robotics

Downloads
    Uploads

You would think that after selling it for 2 years, it would actually work.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes, you would think.

I get the feeling that they did very limited testing on CNC router systems. It works better on my milling machine, but still needs some work.

The folks at HTG was working with me and fixed many bugs. But recently looks like they fell off the face of the earth, I cant get a response from them.

I purchased my unit from CNC4PC through Amazon, and have started the return process. I don't think it will be a problem as I was advised by them that they would allow me to return the unit if I had issues. It has been almost 3 months, but I have spent 100% of that time working with HTG fixing and testing various bugs.

Last edited by msimpson99; 11-16-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, you would think.

I get the feeling that they did very limited testing on CNC router systems. It works better on my milling machine, but still needs some work.

The folks at HTG was working with me and fixed many bugs. But recently looks like they fell off the face of the earth, I cant get a response from them.

I purchased my unit from CNC4PC through Amazon, and have started the return process. I don't think it will be a problem as I was advised by them that they would allow me to return the unit if I had issues. It has been almost 3 months, but I have spent 100% of that time working with HTG fixing and testing various bugs.
    Have you thought to use Centroid's new Acorn Step and Direction motion controller? If you are using a Geckodrive G540, just plug the DB25 straight through cable into Acorn, configure the Wizard and you should be off and running...did this with my Dyna DM2400 benchtop mill running G540 and previously running under Mach3 parallel control and worked well.
    Acorn CNC controller, Step and Direction 4 axis CNC Control board with ethernet communication.

Questions and answers via their community support forum: Centroid Acorn CNC Controller - Centroid Community CNC Support Forum

Marty

Downloads
    Uploads

This is rather sad to hear as any new DIY CNC controller solutions are of interest.

Yes, you would think.

That sometimes happens when the developer finds a fundamental issue with the software he has written. At lest we can hope that he found an issue otherwise it might take sometime to fix the product.

I'm not surprised that a new produce that bugs, that should not surprise anybody. It is when the product has more fundamental issues that things get whacky and you have to wonder if the developer can recover. Honestly I'm waiting on one of the GRBL on ARM to deliver something with a bit more performance than GRBL on the old Arduino.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got one of my VFDs connected to the MASSO.

MASSO and the KRMx02-_mg_8443-jpg

The writeup is posted here:
    MASSO and VFD — Kronos Robotics
    Are the underlying resolution issues you saw in your tests related to seeing uneven steps when you're jogging at what should be fixed steps?

I have mine stepping at 0.1inch in jog mode. For the most part it does jog the proper distance. I have an indicator on my table to verify. But often enough it does not move 0.1inch and instead some arbitrary smaller distance.

Not sure if I'm mistaken how jog works.

Curious if you saw something similar

I cant say much more on this as I have returned my MASSO. But the jog issues were just one of the problems. Sometimes you would get one step, and other times it would do two on a single click. On the lowest setting it would not move at all.

Like I said, I returned the MASSO and have not looked back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12